mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#44924 30/08/03 09:29 AM
Z
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Z
Hey, this is a weird thought, but YOU'RE USING mIRC! Make your own IRC client if you don't want it there, just leave it alone and get over it!

You won't like it when I get angry.
#44925 30/08/03 09:35 AM
S
sparta Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
S
I just todl what i didnt like with the new version.. without any suggestions and feed back, then we wouldent see any new versions... grin

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
#44926 30/08/03 09:49 AM
D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
There's a lot of negavitity concerning the new version. But all in all, it will work out. Khaled will be seeing what everyone is saying. He can do two things (hope this doesn't sound rude.) One, he can keep it the way he has it now, frustrating a minority/majority of people. Two, he can swallow his pride in certain changes, change it back to the way it was, and obviously keep the new changes everyone likes. As I said, I hope this doesn't sound rude to him. But this is my point of view, just an opinion, nothing more.

#44927 30/08/03 11:17 AM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
You're talking like it's a bad idea but you've listed several reasons why it's a good one...

Quote:
i never seen any trojan or virus trying to infect a computer with the name mIRC.exe

Exactly, that's because they rename the file to make it look like an important system file that shouldn't be deleted. If it's called mIRC.exe then there's no chance of it being mistaken for anything other than mIRC, making it less likely to be used to help a virus/trojan proliferate. That's good for mIRC and everyone else.

Quote:
you even can rename ICQ.EXE and still get it to work, and i belive many viruses and trojans are infecting you true that program too

The makers of ICQ have made it quite obvious that they don't give a damn what happens to their users or anyone else by the complete lack of security in ICQ as a whole. That's not really a reason to help make mIRC a tool for trojans is it?

Quote:
i havent seen any script out there that had its own mIRC.exe named just mIRC.exe .. they renamed it to "script name.exe"

Including the exe with a script is illegal anyway.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#44928 30/08/03 03:10 PM
S
sparta Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
S
well, if include the exe is illegal, then 80% of all scripts out there is illegal.. i belive Khaled is satisfyed that so many users feel that hes program are so great that they spending houers writing scripts for it.. and if they include the exe file with the rest of mirc's files.. then i dont see any wrong with it, they didnt edit the exe file.. "only renamed it" , and if they dont trying to make it look like they made the exe, then i belive Khaled gets the credit for the program, he still have the "About" button there.. so hes info is included.. about how to register and stuff, and i dont think you are as "good" as you trying to look in here..

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
#44929 30/08/03 03:16 PM
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
if its easier just put them into folders with the channel names.. or make 5 shortcuts and rename those instead... basically the same idea

-Nick (Darko)
-Admin irc.aussiechat.org
-#Chatzone, #helpdesk
#44930 30/08/03 03:23 PM
S
sparta Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
S
Still, why do all that when i simply could rename the exe file.. smirk it feels like im forced to make allot of shortcuts and stuff.. i miss the old exe file, thats all smile

#44931 30/08/03 03:38 PM
M
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
M
I agree with sparta.

nice replies :P

I do rename my mirc to like -=MOUSE=-.exe

#44932 30/08/03 04:11 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
i dont care about renaming the .exe, doesnt change the program or your scripts :tongue:,also i always access mirc from my desktop so i just rename it there.

new username: tidy_trax
#44933 30/08/03 04:14 PM
S
sparta Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
S
I dont.. thats the prob.. i dont want allot of icons on my desktop.. so i dont have any, even removed windows default icons.. looks much bether without laugh

#44934 30/08/03 04:18 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
80% of scripts? I don't know what sites you use for scripts. I sure as hell don't want to if 80% of them include exe's, but I can say that no sites I have ever used involving IRC scripts allowed exes to be included.

I don't know what you think I'm trying to look as good as. If by being 'good' you mean I don't release or use scripts with exes and I don't make trojans that use mIRC as part of the payload then yes, I am as good as I'm *trying* to look.

#44935 30/08/03 04:34 PM
S
sparta Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
S
many ppl here saying that you arent allowed to do this and that, but then they siting and use programs cracked or what ever "walking against red light".. and i dont belive that mIRC is the only program that arent relesed together with small scripts/programs other made,and im shure of that you have done somthing you shoudlent do with mirc.exe somtime. you can get many programs that are based on another creators work, but i dont see anything wrong in give somone the mIRC.exe together with the files you want to be used with mIRC, if you give a "script" to a tolal noob, then you can be shure of spending many houers try to explain to them how to do when they want to use your files.. and one site often named here have almost every script on it with included mirc.exe .. hexed and non hexed files, so if you never downloaded a script with exe files, then i guess you have been downloading "addons" not a full script..

#44936 30/08/03 04:39 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Again you're just giving more reasons why mIRC should protect people with integral checks and anti-renaming checks. If there are sites irresponsible enough to distribute scripts with 80% of them containing exes which could easily have been reshacked to do anything on the user's computer, and there are users stupid enough to download them, then by stopping mIRC from being renamed and being edited Khaled could well have prevented thousands of future trojans.

Oh and yes, I can honestly say I have never edited the mIRC exe in any way.

#44937 30/08/03 04:42 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
i think a "full script" could just distribute the scripts, then have 1 file to load all the other scripts,i know of about 6 sites that distribute .exe's.

new username: tidy_trax
#44938 30/08/03 04:49 PM
S
sparta Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
S
if somone making him self the trubble to edit a exe file.. "more then just rename it", then i dont think that this will stop that person.. i give it 2 maybe 3 days befor somone found a way to edit it.. i dont want to edit inside the exe file, just be able to rename it..

#44939 30/08/03 10:39 PM
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Stop it Sparta, what you want is not going to happen.

Apart from that some other remarks;
"if include the exe is illegal"... It is illegal. Period. Read the licence agreement you agreed to.
"if they include the exe file with the rest of mirc's files.. then i dont see any wrong with it"... It is wrong. Period. Read the licence agreement you agreed to.
"then i belive Khaled gets the credit "... That simply doesn't matter.

Mamamia, I really dont want to give such childish replies, but you really have to think a little before you post something or react to other ppl's posting. frown

#44940 31/08/03 03:22 AM
S
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
S
it wouldnt take much i think to some1 who uses *cought* softice *cought* remove the security check for icon/filename of mirc
so it really pointless to have it in smirk if cracker should pubish the patch on inet.

#44941 31/08/03 01:20 PM
H
Babel fish
Babel fish
H
I just found out that you only have to have mirc at the start of the filename to run it... ie: "Copy of mIRC.exe" doesn't run, where as: "mIRC Copy of.exe" does, you can also change the .exe extention to .scr or such, there's no check for that...

Also... I know people who are already working on removing the crc check...

-HM2K- hm2k.org
#44942 31/08/03 03:47 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Wow. You know people who are cracking mIRC. Well aren't you Überl33t. Take this pill. It's not cyanide, honest.

#44943 31/08/03 05:30 PM
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
get a life starbucks.... he was only saying that he knew of people... its not his fault exclusivly that he knows people.. i know people as well.. who cares...

-Nick (Darko)
-Admin irc.aussiechat.org
-#Chatzone, #helpdesk
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard