mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
M
lolo66: you are not only one who have same problem smirk

I want replace all icons and remove mym version reply.

I remeber seeing other kid with his nice hexed edited mirc. he done nice job :P

Z
zac Offline
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
Z
I take that back!

Last edited by zac; 30/08/03 04:02 PM.
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
I think 6.1 is fine. No great changes like I was hoping for, but there are some nice ones that I wasn't expecting. Presumably converting to a new compiler using .NET could well explain a large amount of the time spent on the new version.

The one thing I really don't like about this new release, and in fact every new release, are these forums. Every time there's a new version the forums become a hive of bitching and whinging. Not that someone saying when they dislike something is wrong, but when they out and out whine like a little baby or 'threaten' to not use mIRC anymore because something changed that they didn't like, or something they wanted changed hasn't, or hasn't changed enough, or changed too much, or they spilt their coke while downloading the new version, etc.. The real kicker is what people whinge about: You've got some people complaining because nothing downright huge has been added (especially in this release since it's been a year), yet you've got another group of people who are complaining because Khaled moved a pixel, or changed and icon - if something huge was added I can only imagine these people would spontaneously explode. The guy just can't win.

Note: This isn't a reply to any specific person, just I've been wanting to post this for about 8 hours now and I decided this thread will do.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
I have to agree with you. The only slight hiccup I had was that I couldn't find 'perform' for about 5 minutes. I really do like the single script editor button too - having three all this time just seemed a bit unnecessary.

Last edited by Poppy; 30/08/03 05:34 PM.

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
Well the fact that Khaled uses VC 7.0 is one of the reasons I won't use mIRC 6.1. VC 7.0 has many problems. There is a glitch in the optimizer, I've had programs where it screws things up. The problem was fixed in the new version of VC, which for whatever reason, Khaled decided not to use. Plus, seeing as how Khaled has said he always made sure mIRC compiles in VC6, there should have been NO recoding necessary to make it work in VC7 since it is totally backwards compatible.

S
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
S
I actually like 6.1.... I especially like the warning dialog when u click on a hotlink.. i like the layout of the Options dialog as well... it's probably just me.. but i pretty much like everything in 6.1... smirk

C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
I personally quickly disabled the warning on hotlink. I think that it is a good feature, it will prevent idiots who have the idea that if someone types a url, you must click it, but personally, to me it just gets in the way.

I
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I
I can not live with this new version! Pressing F1 then "s" no longer opens the help index and now I have to press F1 followed by "i". Ye gods!

Note: any sarcasm in the above is purely intentional. smile

Quote:
I personally quickly disabled the warning on hotlink. I think that it is a good feature, it will prevent idiots who have the idea that if someone types a url, you must click it, but personally, to me it just gets in the way.
Did you not say you went back to 6.03 and will not use 6.1? grin

C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
I'm not using 6.1, but for the brief time that I was, I did disable it. Additionally I do still have 6.1 installed on a seperate drive for testing purposes, however, when I'm going somewhere to chat I'm using 6.03. And you might say that the keystroke changes is insignifigant, but when I've been doing file | options for 3+ years, it really sucks when I can no longer do that any more.

Oh, another thing, how many tutorials are going to be effected? How many people are going to say "I tried loading your alias, but when I do like the readme said and type alt+a it brings up the favorites menu". Now this means you can't just change the tutorial, you have to add:
If you are using a version before mIRC 6.1 type alt+a
If you are using mIRC 6.1 or newer, type [whatever the new key is].

Same for other things
"go to file | options, then go to connect | perform" That now has to be modified to tell people where the new one is located.

Last edited by codemastr; 30/08/03 08:01 PM.
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
/me just clicks on the last post to make some general comments:

-gee, only 61% were new, with 39% being bug fixes (no i havent counted for myself, seems kinda pointless)

-i think it makes more sense to have all the servers in a different area (the lil sun thingie) and less confusing to new ppl

-no doubt it will take time to remember to not say file>options, but honestly, telling someone about alt 0 or to click the options icon isnt all that complex

-i dont understand why giving perform a button on the connect/option area is a bad idea, never saw why it needed its own page

-about dialog: pay the $20 (you can even pay less) and no worries. Seems amazing to me that ppl who havent even paid to register mIRC feel they have the right to complain about it. It keeps asking you to do the right thing and pay? Well imagine that!

-most of what i've seen so far arent bugs, but complaints about deliberate changes

-you cant change the exe to some name like IkElzkCLan.exe and think mirc1.exe looks dumb? The majority of users dont feel a compelling need to change the name of the exe, honest.

-you dont like that you cant totally remove the default version reply? Again, gee, imagine that, the author actually wants credit for his work. Whats wrong with just adding to the reply? "To protect you from some vulnerability" is a bit much

-to expect each new version to have every change/addition everyone asked for is unreasonable, imo. Should be clear with each new version that the author does pay attention to users wants.

-with every new release there are ppl who are happy and ppl who complain. Impossible to make everyone happy.

-

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
I don't mind that not all the suggestions were added, it would be highly unlikely that that would actually happen. However, when Tjerk posts that almost all the suggestions were added, when you can see in the thread that Racoon started, most of the feature suggestions were actually ignored, I don't think it is a fair statement to make. I'm not saying all the features should have been added, I'm saying Tjerk shouldn't imply that they were, to me that is misleading.

Z
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Z
Quote:
I don't think it is a fair statement to make. I'm not saying all the features should have been added, I'm saying Tjerk shouldn't imply that they were, to me that is misleading.

I agree with that, I read his post after I was using mIRC v6.1 for a little while, and was shocked by it. Many of the features (major and minor) that were suggested through the Feature Suggestion forum were ignored, or are an on-going process, and that statement is quite misleading.
I am by no means ditching 6.1 because of this (I slightly like it), I am just agreeing with codemastr about that fact.

You won't like it when I get angry.
jez Offline
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
Just read this thread.

Lots of complaining. Hmm. I'm somewhat surprised. I thought the new version was better than 6.03.

The browser bug fix *alone* made it worth upgrading, for me :-) OK, most of you may use Internet Explorer, but if you changed to the superior Mozilla, you'd get kinda annoyed if all your hotlinks still opened up in IE :-)

Khaled switching to Visual C++ .NET: yep, this is a pretty bad idea. Buying into the Microsoft machine, unnecessarily. His choice, I guess, but there's nothing wrong with VC++ 6.

Quote:
I like the fact that a warning dialogue pops up when clicking a URL - I *really* like it ;D

I disabled it immediately. If you've double clicked on a URL, why on earth would you want a dialog prompting you whether you want to visit it? Might have changed your mind? :-)

Quote:
Remote editor, no shortcuts on the toolbar. Boohoo.

I think the new 'script editor' button is *fantastic*. I used to keep clicking on aliases and then having to click on remotes or popups or what I wanted; now, there's just one button that remembers the last tab you were on. Way to go!

Quote:
Things I disliked the most...
23. /dcc commands, such as /dcc send, ignore, etc. are now also handled in the form /dccsend, /dccignore, etc.

For convenience? Try using /dcc - it still works, it hasn't been replaced!

Quote:
o I can't really afford to register mIRC now... Not that I would yet because to me, it still looks like a Windows 3.1 app (icons/gui). Which is why I registered Klient instead

So what do you want? Cuddly round buttons, blue background, green text, animating dancers and flashing title text? Please, don't encourage him :-) I guess it's all down to preference, but I HATE the new XP look; I have it set on the Windows 2000 look, and mIRC looks nice and simple right now. If it changed to an 'XP' look, that'd be sure to turn me off immediately.

All in all, mIRC 6.1 rules. So there. :-P

== Jez ==
"Each victory is a missed opportunity to die..."
Z
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Z
I personally think that the new mIRC looks strange in the XP classic theme, I use the default theme. It's only personal taste tho :P

You won't like it when I get angry.
O
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
O
OK well I must say there isn't a feature in 6.1 I don't like. But I did except more. Maybe Kaled felt rushed by the amount of people posting "Wheres the new version?" "Whens the new version comming?" "How long will the new version be realeased?" "Who?" "What?" "Where?" "Why?". Good job though. Im pleased.

If only women came with popup menus and online help.
D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
Didn't it take so long because he updated how he compiles it? Or was it something else?

O
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
O
Ever thought maybe he didn't feel like working on mirc for a while? We all need a break. Or maybe your right, who knows and honestly, who cares? Its here, be happy with what you've got.

C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
Ever thought maybe he didn't feel like working on mirc for a while? We all need a break. Or maybe your right, who knows and honestly, who cares? Its here, be happy with what you've got.

Well why should we be happy with what we have? What we had before was better than what we have now, seems more logical not to be "happy with what you've got" but to "go back to what you had." And that's exactly what I did.

O
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
O
What didn't you like so much that you had to jump back a version? I can't see your point.

C
C
I dont like how file then options is no longer available, I think changing the options dialog boxes round is a bad thing as well, Also dont like the new toolbar, the bugs I have noticed etc.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard