Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#44772 29/08/03 09:52 PM
C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
Could just be me, but I'm kinda disappointed with 6.1. Given the fact that it took over a year to complete, I was hoping more features that had been requested would have been added. It seems like this was a bug fix release more than anything else. Out of the 166 changes, 64 of them are bug fixes. I was expecting to see more of the things that have been requested a million times, of which I really see none other than the $rawtext addition.

Also the new "interface improvements" seem ackward and somewhat wrong. Like what is with the little "grips" next to the switchbar and toolbar? In every single other program I've ever seen, that means you can move the toolbars around, which I'd like to see, for example maybe I want the switchbar on top of the toolbar, however, in mIRC it appears they are just there for decoration. Also the enlarged buttons such as in Channel Central seem ackward. Why are they so big? They take up so much more space now, and it doesn't provide any extra function or anything. Also the changing of the menus and connect dialog seem bad to me. I was accustomed to doing "file | options" to get into the options dialog, that feature is now gone. This also seems like a bad idea in relation to scripting sites which often tell people to go to file then options, now all these FAQs have to be rewritten. For the GUI my personal opinion is "if it ain't broken, don't fix it"

I do however like the new log button on the toolbar, thats much easier than going into the options dialog each time, but other than that, I don't really like any of the new GUI changes I've noticed so far. Oh and I especially hate that the checkmark to prevent the "about" dialog box from displaying each time you open mIRC was removed; that alone is enough for me to decide to stick with 6.03, at least for the time being.

I'm not saying I hate the new version, some of the new features seem nice, I'm just disappointed. I'll probably learn to like 6.1 in the future, but for right now, I think I'm going to stick with 6.03.

Anyone else agree with me on any of this? Or am I all alone in these opinions?

A
Babel fish
Babel fish
A
I didn't have the time yet to check all the new features, but from what I saw, I don't like the new disposition of the connection dialog, it's kinda confusing. But the new toolbar is very nice, I really like it. I'll take a better look at it tonight, I'm sure I'll find some things I will like =]
Thanks Tjerk and Khaled!

D
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
D
i dunno, i think 6.1 is just something people will have to get used to. i was hoping for more dialog options, like treeviews and everything but i guess i'll have to wait for that. i like the new 'recieved files' folder button next to the log button. now i don't have to type /run download which i find myself doing a lot these days. as for the channel central buttons, i really didn't even notice a change.

oh yeah, and as for the connection dialog, the little flower icon scared me. i think it's a flower icon. maybe it's a gear or a sun. oh well

Last edited by dylan; 29/08/03 10:03 PM.

-- dylan
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
on a whole id have to agree with the interface being disapointing .... i do like the ability to remove the menu bar but them damn "grips" gotta go. luckily after u add a background image to it ... it seems to cover them up but for the defualt it just looks goofy.... also ... i didnt notice the standard X to close the active windows when u remove the menubar ... kinda makes that alil hard to figure. it would be nicer to be able to remove it and possibly have them buttons float over to the toolbar or something. altho maybe thats just as bad an idea, overall im sure it is a nicer version .. and ill get used to it ... its just highly awkward to have to right click over and select or choose alt+z or whatever that keypress setup is. i do like the new options setup its alil cleaner looking. overall im sure the public as a whole will enjoy it.

D3m0nnet.com
C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
Yeah the received file thing is nice too, however I would like it better if it would respect my explorer settings. For example, I have "always show text labels" set, however mIRC has decided "selective text on right" is what should be used. It also hides the "address" bar even though I have that set to always be displayed.

N
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
N
i like the on text regex :P

C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
Hmm I just tried adding a background image to my toolbar, didn't seem to get rid of the grip. Same for the switchbar.

C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
Yeah I like that too, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I hate everything about 6.1, the regex in events, $rawtext, the paste confirm thing, $compress, and the new file handling, those are all very nice things. I just wish more of the things that have been asked for a lot were added. Some quick things that come to mind are more dialog controls, if I remember, that was promised after 5.91, and since then all that has been added were scrollbars. Also, the "ON MIRCERROR" type of thing, that has been suggested I don't know how many times, yet it's still not added; in fact from the looks of it, no new events were added in this release, although I can think of about 10 that were suggested. Many things that were suggested, and that were liked by many people, yet they weren't added. However things that no one suggested, and from the looks of it (i.e., the "grips", and the options dialog recode), no one likes, were added instead. I don't hate the new mIRC, I'm just disappointed with it, I was expecting a lot more than was actually added.

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
well damn your entirly correct ... it doesnt diapear .. im using a black image so it hides it well enough to hardly see it. all in all id agree im disapointed and may stick with 6.03 for a bit longer.

D3m0nnet.com
C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
I'd go with a black bg, but unfortunately that disables the XP style buttons frown

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
yeah ive noticed that too ..... shouldnt that not disable it since jpg support was added? i dont get why adding an image removes the xp style buttons in the switchbar .... when in a dialog it doesnt? this seems likes its a bug thats been around since xp was introduced ... mirc still doesnt fully support xp themes

D3m0nnet.com
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
i wouldnt know
i still have this on the download page:
Code:
mIRC 6.03, for Windows 95, 98, 2000, ME, XP, NT etc.
American and Canadian sites 
mIRC 6.03 in Georgia
mIRC 6.03 in Illinois
mIRC 6.03 in Michigan
mIRC 6.03 in Missouri
mIRC 6.03 in North Carolina
mIRC 6.03 in Pennsylvania
mIRC 6.03 in Quebec
mIRC 6.03 in Texas
mIRC 6.03 in Texas
mIRC 6.03 in Texas
mIRC 6.03 in Texas

Asia and Middle-East
mIRC 6.03 in Israel
mIRC 6.03 in Russia
mIRC 6.03 in Singapore
mIRC 6.03 in Singapore
mIRC 6.03 in Singapore
mIRC 6.03 in Singapore
mIRC 6.03 in Singapore
mIRC 6.03 in Singapore
mIRC 6.03 in South Korea
mIRC 6.03 in Thailand

Latin American sites
mIRC 6.03 in Brazil
mIRC 6.03 in Chile
 Europe and other places
mIRC 6.03 in Australia
mIRC 6.03 in Bulgaria
mIRC 6.03 in Bulgaria
mIRC 6.03 in Denmark
mIRC 6.03 in Denmark
mIRC 6.03 in Estonia
mIRC 6.03 on the Faroe Islands
mIRC 6.03 in Finland
mIRC 6.03 in France
mIRC 6.03 in Germany
mIRC 6.03 in Germany
mIRC 6.03 in Germany
mIRC 6.03 in Germany
mIRC 6.03 in Greece
mIRC 6.03 in Holland
mIRC 6.03 in Italy
mIRC 6.03 in Italy
mIRC 6.03 in Norway
mIRC 6.03 in Norway
mIRC 6.03 in Slovenia
mIRC 6.03 in South Africa
mIRC 6.03 in Spain
mIRC 6.03 in Switzerland
mIRC 6.03 in Switzerland
mIRC 6.03 in the UK
mIRC 6.03 in the UK

new username: tidy_trax
C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
All websites have been updated over an hour ago, within minutes after release! Hit the refresh button and make sure you're not looking in your browsers (outdated) cache smile

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
thanks laugh

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
ive refreshed and closed and reopened the site, but its still not there, i got it from codemastr's link.

T
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
T
well i like it, the new file handler, the compresse option and the binvar unlimeted size please me. smile

A
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
A
Its nice to have something new, but the grips stink when you put you channel bar on the left or right. The grip is so big and ugly. We scripters want more dialog stuff no doubt!

T
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
T
control + refresh or shift + refresh must solve your problem m8 smile

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
To be honest, until it was mentioned in this thread I never even noticed the "grips". They don't bother me in the slightest, as I don't like the channel bar on the left/right.

I like the fact that a warning dialogue pops up when clicking a URL - I *really* like it ;D

As mentioned before, moving the 'Options' menu to the 'Tools' menu seems fairly pointless, but 99% of the time I use ALT+O.

It looks like this version is going to cut out after 30 days which others haven't done in the past. Can't be certain of that though...but yes, having the About dialogue pop-up on startup is annoying. I did notice the unusually large dialogue buttons..that doesn't bother me either though, infact, I like big buttons heh.

The only thing which has seriously bugged me, mainly because of the pointlessness of it, is the removal of the 'perform' section. Yes, I know it hasn't been removed completely, but now you have to go to Connect > Options rather than it having it's own button. Why?

After 1 year? fairly disappointing. I'm with codemastr for sticking with 6.03. Nevertheless, I don't want to put it down, I'm sure a lot of hard work and time has gone into this version, and there are a lot of good features, but there are just a few little things which 'niggle' me a little bit. It just seems that a lot of changes have been made to make it look a little different, when it's been completely unneccesary.

Looking forward to the future :-)

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard