Print Thread
#44373 27/08/03 01:30 PM
O
Othello Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
O
Is there any difference between having a script set using Variables V/S Having the same script use the same info written into a INI file?

Intelligence: It's better to ask a stupid question, then to prove it by not asking....
#44374 27/08/03 02:38 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Processing time is one. Reading from a file takes longer than reading from memory. Although if you don't do anything weird you will never know the difference.

Also, sometimes it happens that your variables get cleared. Happened to me several times, sometimes after mIRC crashed, sometimes after I closed it normally, but I have never been able to find out exactly why. It means starting over. That won't happen if you use a inifile.

These days I use both: I store everything in an inifile, and when I start mIRC I clean out my variables, and load the ones in the inifile. That also cleans up and variable-trash I might have left and don't need. Then everytime a variable changes I write it to the inifile.

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
#44375 27/08/03 03:05 PM
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
To me, simply put,

Variables = Temporary fast access data.
Inifile = Permanent 'user config' type data.

#44376 28/08/03 07:51 AM
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
INI files allow you to have multiple data items under multiple sections, it all depends what your intended purpose is for them.

Variables are loaded from a file when mIRC starts up and saved back to the file when it closes. During the rest of the time they are saved in the memory so if mIRC crashes it may not have a chance to save them back to the file

Link Copied to Clipboard