mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
N
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
N
hey, i'm just wondering why there is a limit to how much you can show in an editbox with the multiline. allow return, etc props, i can load 773 lines, with /filter, or less/more depending on how long the lines are.....i was also wondering if there was a way around this, to allow basicaly any amount of data to be put into the editbox...... as the mirc editor you can have any amount of lines/text, so why would it be any different for a dialog editbox?

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Because that's not what a edit box is made for maybe. What you want is a listbox.

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
N
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
N
no, what i want and have is an editbox, i'da thought an editbox was used for editing data, you cant type in a listbox....trust me, i know what i want, this isnt a question of that, its a question of the limit of text/lines in the editbox, which i dont see any valid reason for a limit, and would like to see a way around it or something, prolly none, but thats why i'm asking!

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
how about using something like this:
Code:
dialog test {
  title "Test"
  size -1 -1 138 86
  option dbu
  list 1, 0 0 79 86, size hsbar vsbar 
  edit "", 2, 79 0 58 10, autohs
}
on *:dialog:test:init:0:{
  var %i 1
  while (%i <= 50) {
    did -a $dname 1 $str(%i,10)
    inc %i
  }
  did -z $dname 1
}
on *:dialog:test:close:0:{
  unset %did.number
}
on *:dialog:test:sclick:1:{
  set %did.number $did(1).sel
}
on *:dialog:test:edit:2:{
  did -o $dname 1 %did.number $did(2)
}
menu menubar {
  Test Dialog: dialog -m test test
}

click the line you want to change in the listbox then enter the new data into the edit box grin

new username: tidy_trax
N
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
N
thats nowhere near efficient for what i am doing, an editbox is what i need, and thats what i have, just imagine trying to edit your code in the mirc editor if it used listbox instead of editbox, well same scenario!

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
well your only going to be editing 1 line at a time, it will just take a bit longer :tongue:

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Are you trying to create a text editor or something? For all purposes I can think of, 733 lines to be edited is madness. As said, you edit em one at a time. List em in a listbox. Click, then load it in a edit box, edit, save, write back to the listbox.

DALnet #Helpdesk
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
ah, i suppose i was doin it the stupidly long way >.<

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I agree with the original poster, a limit of 733 is stupid. You can edit lines one at a time? You mean to tell me, you never use copy/cut/paste when editing files? There have been times where I've edited 500 lines at once. I have files that contain over a million lines of text, why can't mIRC handle that? It's not the editbox preventing it, it is mIRC.

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
I'd argue that a dialog simply isn't designed to handle that kinda stuff. Edit boxes are, just as in windows/html/cgi/php/forms in my experience, designed to input a word or a line, or a few lines at best. Pasting entire paragraphs in them is simply not within their design parameters, because there is little to no practical use for it.

DALnet #Helpdesk
N
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
N
there are many purposes for using more the x amount of lines, a script editor, a message box, anything, like what i'm workin on is a socket creator, with areas to implemet what to do on open, read, and close, along with sections to add alias for the socket, all without having to open and close the mirc editor, simpler that way and gives me a project, but if the sockread event for example, extends to more the 733 lines or whatever, you cant type no more, kinda "stupid" if u ask me, since the mirc editor allows any number of lines, and is an edibox just the same, why is there a limit on dialog or set by mirc, whatever thecase might be? maybe next version of mirc should allow infinate lines in a editbox....

and just another comment, if the editbox control wasnt designed to support it, then why is there multi and allow return propertise for it?

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
To allow for a few lines, like you would need for a postal address?

DALnet #Helpdesk
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
The simple fact is that mIRC has no other multiple line input control. If this one isn't changed to allow more text then another control should be made to do it, but then why on Earth shouldn't it just be added to an already existing control?

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Well you couldn't be more wrong there. Guess what notepad.exe uses to input text? An editbox! Are you going to tell me that notepad is only used for 1-2 lines of text?

Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
To pick up an "old" thread. This limit has actually caused me trouble since I use an editbox to paste long text into it for various reasons. It's something I need and a listbox is not feasable in the way I want it. So the limit to me is kinda weird and annoying.

The wheel of time turns. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

Link Copied to Clipboard