Print Thread
T
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
T
So let me get this straight.

Cable VS. DSL
So what you are all saying there is a big diff between them.
-Cable is cheaper but depends on how far away I am from the company depends on my speed....right?

-DSL us more pricey and speeds can vary. But the thing is in my location (Portland, Oregon USA) where I live it aint got DSL yet and it aint gonna be for a while. I saw a good deal but I am not sure if i should wait. Quest Wireless DSL is us$29.99 a month and I think thats a good deal.

But for Comcast Cable it is also us$29.99 laugh. Same as Quest Wireless DSL. So what all you are pretty much saying is that Cable is cheaper and better then DSL?

Networking
-I dont us a card for the networking the one that I got at Costco uses a usb not the card. On this one im not sure is there any big diff or any diff between them. Also at best buy that i forgot to say I saw a router for us$90 that also comes with the card. But I stand there thinking the card is more neat but the usb sticks out and if someone or somethink happen to bump or fall on it. Would break off.

Clearing it all up
Linksys is what you all prefer me to use....
Cable is cheaper and better...
DSL can be fast and be slow....
Is that all correct?
Sorrie if i am confussing you all....

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
In short, if you don't have ADSL available yet then the best solution will be cable.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
DSL also relies on you being close to a phone exchange, although I believe thereare (or will be) variant DSL services that allow you to use DSL from further away but at more varied speeds.

The general jist is that nobody can really say for certain which will be faster or better where you are. But if cable is there now and DSL isn't then that's pretty much decided for you.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Cable does not depend on distance, thats DSL. Cable depends on the number of users who are currently online. You "share" the speed with everyone else. If you are the only one downloading anything, you will get great speeds, however if there are 50 thousand people downloading stuff, your speed will drop. DSL has a constant speed, but the speed depends on your distance from the company.

As got the networking stuff, unless it is USB 2.0 (which I've yet to see a router that uses that), it will possiblly be slower, if you have other networked computers. An Ethernet connection is 100mb/s, USB 1.1 (I forget the exact) but I think it is somewhere around 12mb/s. So if you intend for example, to play CounterStrike over your network, Ethernet is certainly the way to go.

Really, everything you've asked depends almost completely on your situation. Try investigating which companies are available in your area, how much they cost, and what services they provide. Thats probably the best way to go.

J
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
J
Cable is shared, yes, but the cable companies have such huge backbones connected into their networks that speed drops are not even an issue and not to mention cable internet is a wan not a lan and the cable companies are load balancing everything. So with that being said the only reason anyone on cable internet should expierence a speed drop is because of latency, server hops,dropped packets,ect.

S
Babel fish
Babel fish
S
(a)dsl u only got a part for yourself till the local phone central or however you call it in english, for the rest the whole internet is shared anyway, if u live in a big city then cable can be verry bad

Link Copied to Clipboard