mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
L
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
L
I was attempting to set up a mIRC session to allow me to type from any computer in my LAN. It would be nice if I were able to chat using the same nick from my laptop as from my desktop without haveing to quit and rejoin (so I can keep the logs and other reasons). Now, I looked at DDE a bit for this, but I didn't want to write a new application if someone else had done work on this (as search for "dde" here will also return results with posts using the word "added").

Now, I could run a VNC, except for that my laptop has a max viewing of 800x600, and I like my desktop at 1280x1024. Perhaps a bnc would work as well, but I haven't seen one that appears to support multiple loggins.

Anyway, if someone has solved a similar problem, I would be glad to hear how it was done.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
With VNC you can right click on the titlebar of the popup window and choose "Full Screen" but what that will do is place your laptop screen in the top left corner and everything else will be black. If you were to increase the reso of an 800 x 600 image (which is all the VNC window really is) then it's gunna look very blurry.

L
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
L
Yes, I know how to use VNC, but what you have suggested would be good if I wanted to view the mIRC session that is by default on my laptop. However, as my primary computer is my desktop (with higher resolution) in order to see the text correctly, I would have to do side to side scrolling to get there. I was hoping to avoid having to use a VNC because of this.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Ahhh, I had the resolutons around the wrong way. The only thing I can think of, and you have probably already tried it is to shrink mIRC to 800 x 600. In the past I have changed the resolution during a VNC session to match the laptop screen though there is two things that comes with this:

1. It's a hit/miss affair (usually miss) because you have to be very quick with the mouse or the 15 second timeout for confirming the new resolution will beat you and you'll be back to square one.
2. Changing the resolution kills the session and you have to log back in to confirm it before the timeout resets everything.

To be honest I don't really know another way around it, though the top option of having mIRC floating ont he desktop at the same size as the laptop screen is the option I use.

One other thing and I know it's not related but I recommend TightVNC over the original, it's got some extra features to speed up the screen refreshing a bit.

Link Copied to Clipboard