mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
T
Tombi Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
T
People, mIrc Is Full Of Cool Features But I am pretty sure we would generatee more , If we add a little graphics to the program!!!!! No emiticons! No 3d Graphics! I suggest these AND enable audio and visual chatting features, afterall the program, is not based only on text chat, Make Private Conversations wit audio and visual and maybe a channel with audio only, make the channel op decide if the channel accepts that kind of chat too! , In private chat do it like dcc chat, accept or ignore someone's invitation to talk with the mic and cam! C'mon you can do it,!!!!!!!!!!! Add some good 3D! color!!!

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
mIRC can't make types of channels for audio and visual chat, that would require the makers of clients and ircds to work together, since IRC is peer <-> server <-> peer. Besides that, it would be a MASSIVE waste of bandwidth for the servers, as they would have to relay huge amounts of information. If there was audio and visual chat, it would have to be p2p.

On another note, what do you mean by 3d graphics? There is nothing to make 3d, as IRC is all text.

FYI: There is already a script for audio chat.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
You could make DCC VOICE and DCC VIDEO (DCC VOICE is already supported by kvirc if iirc). Yea I know everything this guy said has been discussed, but not since the boards got reset. I think smileys would be nice too, as suggested before, with the ability to disable (disabled by default) and the ability to "limit smilies to N per line" to stop flood attacks.

I would like to see all that implemented, although I have no idea what he means by 3d graphics.

D
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
D
I like the idea of smilies too...the only problem I forsee with that is how do you make it so that the size of the smilies don't interfere with the size of the line of text.

IE. I use a small font (tahoma 8), a smily like those of MSN messenger would make my chat windows look like garbage smile

I think though if it was disable[able], and the smilies were sizable accordingly, it would be a great feature!

Regards,

-DarkStarX
"If at first you don't succeed, sky diving's not for you."
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
technically if those were added wouldnt it make you lag just a little bit more than usual? wouldnt it take up alot more space on the hard drive? i know that there are addons already that deal with camming but i dont know about voice chat....it seems kinda stupid in my opinion...i dunno course everyone has his or her own opinions....

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
to DarkStarX:
Well the way I thought of it is sorta customizable. You have a "smiley" config entry and a images/ folder. So you alt + o | Smiley then you click "Add" type smile in the one box, then select images/smile.gif. So in theory, if the icons are too big/too small, you can either use a text editor and resize them, or just create new images entirely, or even just disable smiley support.

To The_Game:
well the smiley thing wouldn't really increase hd space. Looking at the smileys available here, they are about 250b each. That means you could have 100 smileys (which I'm sure most people will have far less) and it would only use about 2kb of extra space. But in any case, there are now 250GB hds available, even if it was a 500k increase, is that really a big deal?

As for video and voice, the voice chat feature available in kvirc is pretty small, I wouldn't think it would increase size at all really. Video, maybe it would, but again would a 200kb increase really be a good reason not to add it?

A
Axe Offline
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
A
Quote:
I think though if it was disable[able], and the smilies were sizable accordingly, it would be a great feature!

Or there were some sort of function to simply replace certain strings with images. That way, if a user didn't like the default smily images (if any) that were disted with mIRC, they could simply replace them to better suit the colour & font scheme of their script.

It would also allow users to add their own custom smilies to the script.

Axe
--
The box said "Requires Windows 98 or Higher". So, I installed Linux.
D
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
D
once thats done, when you're really anal and customize all your smileys, we should have them available for download as themes that come complete with the fonts, sound effects and custom color schemes.

marty

.o0
smile
T
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
T
If I'm not mistaken there are DLL files that can be used for graphical smilies in mIRC.

Just gotta find one, unless you're skilled enough to make one.

Link Copied to Clipboard