#43938 24/08/03 03:39 PM
F
fark Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
F
Or is it ?

No updates for over a year kinda makes you think.
And it is still missing the possibility to choose the Browser Executable for opening Links. ( Yes i know of those clumsy scripts )

*sigh*

#43939 24/08/03 03:45 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
mIRC is dead? So Khaled lied to us when he said it isn't and that a new version would be released in the coming months? I mean, I'm sure you read that post since you used the search feature before posting this, right? But then again, it's not like this issue has ever been addressed before; oh wait! Two posts above your's is one that explains this issue, two posts directly below your's is yet another, and two posts directly below that one is another. Search before you post.

#43940 24/08/03 05:16 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
And it is still missing the possibility to choose the Browser Executable for opening Links.

It's not missing. It was removed from a previous version because it is MEANT to choose the default browser automatically but doesn't due to a bug. It's not really an important function anyway, just use IE like 85% of your fellow 'Net users. wink

...or use a clumsy script to use Flopera or Crapscape.

#43941 24/08/03 05:44 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Opera is not a bad program. I used to use it, but I gave up with IE fighting over the "i wanna be the default browser" and mirc opening in a new window.

-KingTomato
#43942 24/08/03 06:20 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
They are all okay to look at most sites in. When you want to code a webpage to the cutting edge W3 standards you sometimes run into problems though, mainly with NS.

#43943 24/08/03 06:27 PM
F
fark Offline OP
OP Offline
F
@Watchdog
Thank you for your ignorant comment about the Browser stuff.

If 85% of the ppl on the net would start thinking for themselves ( instead of the usual : "oh it hangs in front of my nose, it must be the best thing there is !"), Webmasters could start to actually use PNG files on their websites.
Which makes alpha blended Overlay Graphics A LOT easier to implement. No can do with Internet Crapsplorer.

#43944 24/08/03 06:36 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Ahh well, you are the one posting an issue that's been well known and well addressed for the past twelve months, and with a pretty ignorant nickname to boot. Sorry if my opinion on browsers caused offence, however I am entitled to a view and will express it where-ever I feel is appropriate, especially since I did also address your query.

Using a script to make mIRC boot other browsers is the way to get around the problem, so be a part of the solution instead of continuing to grizzle about the problem.

#43945 24/08/03 06:39 PM
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
@fark
Thank you for your ignorant response to his quite accurate statement about NutScrape not being able to deal with anything but basic HTML (and not even that if you want to use something advanced .. like displaying the same colors every other browser uses .. not even the "safe" colors show up correctly). NS was involved in setting up the CSS standards, but can't seem to figure out how to follow them themselves. Odd, that; don't you think? If it can't do the (relatively) basic stuff correctly, how do you expect it to do overlays?

DALnet: #HelpDesk and #m[color:#FF0000]IR[color:#EEEE00]C
#43946 24/08/03 07:01 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I can give you an example of Netscapes ineptitude. I was making a website, and it took advantage of a bunhc of CSS2 stuff. The CSS and HTML were both valid as far as W3C was concerned, and it worked fine in IE. Unfortunately, NS decided differently. Netscape does not allow a <div> tag to have a border, even though the W3C says it is allowed. And no, I'm not talking about some incredibly old version of NS, this was 7.1. As a result, I was forced to redo my page so as not to use <div> and I had to replace all of them with <span> tags, which do not work exactly the same as a <div> tag does making me have to change the way the site works. As I said, Internet Explorer was able to display the borders perfectly, Netscape couldn't. I don't use IE because it's there, I use IE because NS is a piece of garbage, I hate the interface, and I hate it's poor rendering capabilities. Perhaps the open source Mozilla will save NS, but I doubt it personally.

#43947 24/08/03 07:05 PM
F
fark Offline OP
OP Offline
F
@Hammer
Thank you for your ignorant comment over how Mozilla handles HTML Code. You obviously havent tried using it for months, if not years.
It is true that Netscape had some issues displaying non-strict HTML Code correctly at the beginning. Because of that i started to use IE more for quite some time. However i gave it another chance some months ago and was surprised that it didnt choke on anything it used to choke on before.
So its kinda shady of you to accuse me of not informing myself correctly before i say/ask something, dont you think ?

Besides, when did i ever mention i use Netscape ?
Ppl accusing me of not informing myself, who themselves base their comments on assumptions ? Interesting...

I do use Mozilla tho smile.

Last edited by fark; 24/08/03 07:08 PM.
#43948 24/08/03 07:13 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Hammer never once said the word "Mozilla". You are just misrepresenting other people in a vain attempt to prove a point which has been proven wrong by three people. None of us are knocking your personal preference, so taking the issue personally is pointless.

When I make a website I test it in about 8 or 9 browsers, thanks to my recently acquired iMuck. So I have IE, Netscape, Mozilla, Opera, Konquerer (a dreadful java-less browser), Camino, IE (Mac version), Mozilla (Unix), Mozilla (iMuck), Netscape (iMuck). My main website gets several thousand hits per month so I have to make sure, despite my preference for IE, that the site will display satisfactorily in all of the above. It's a fairdinkum pain in the arse at the best of times.

#43949 24/08/03 07:15 PM
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
ok, enough browser rant. stop it, all of you.

Link Copied to Clipboard