mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
H
hrst Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
H
Too often somebody pastes several - even dozens of - lines to some IRC channel, assuming that (s)he's going to paste only one word or line. Wouldn't it be a good idea to simply pop up a window when the text being pasted includes, for instance, two or more line feeds. It could be like this:

"You are going to paste n lines.
Ok
Cancel
Replace line feeds with spaces"

How about this idea? Opinions, please laugh.

- hrst @ IRCnet.

Air tastes good.
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
I agree it would be nice to have paste restriction settings available in mIRC.

For now though it is possible to script it into mIRC using something like this (based on a previous post from Raccoon):
Code:
on *:input:*: {
  if ($inpaste) {
    .timerpaste 1 0 check_paste $target
    halt
  }
}

alias check_paste if ($input(Do you want to paste $cb(0) lines to $+($1,?), y, Paste warning)) .play -b $1 100

Just paste that into Remotes (Alt+R) and that would pop up a dialog box asking you to confirm that you want to paste the text.

You could just change the check_paste alias there to convert all the lines into one, although that would often cause problems because most likely the entire multi-line text would be longer than mIRC's maximum line length (about 920 characters).

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Yes, this is a nifty idea.. and one of the earlier scripts I had written.

Using a combination of On Input, $inpaste, $cb, /timer and /play... you can do this yourself very easily.

Check out this post for more on the subject.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It's a good idea but I would want to be able to disable it. So a switch for it in the options dialogue would be good too.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I like the idea. I usually wind up doing that myself anyway. I usually paste into notepad and then remove the linefeeds, so having mIRC do it internally would be nice imho. Another idea that might be nice is, if you are pasting more than N lines it does like /play and adds a little delay, to prevent you from flooding the server.

D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
In addition to disabling it, an option to choose how many lines and/or bytes it would have to be for the warning.

Vogon poet
Vogon poet
There is already an option sorta like that, if you go into ur options, Display - Options
Use multi line edit box

In Virginia, chickens cannot lay eggs before 8:00 a.m., and must be done before 4:00 p.m.

Link Copied to Clipboard