Print Thread
R
rc2002b Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R
Hi all.

This one has been bugging me for some time. The last three digits of a users IP is always "scrambled" makes it difficult to track offenders in chats. Any clues on if this can be changed somehow?

what I mean is this:

example IP xxx.yyy.zzz.abc

the "abc" part of the octet should be a possible 1 ~ 3 digits but it always has garbage characters displayed (live chat, whois commands, info commands and in the log files).

I've searched the help files and found no detail on it.

I'm using version 6.03 currently but all versions I've ever used have always done the same thing. Any help would be great!

thanks!

Dan

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
That sounds like the IRC server you are using hiding the true IP address (usermode +x on some servers), if that is the case, only IRCOps can see the true IP.

R
rc2002b Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R
um I am "oping" but not as an owner of the server maybe thats why. That give me a clue anyhow.

thanks

Dan

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Op and Oper are two different things. If you are hosting a channel but don't have an o:line then your access isn't high enough to view full IP's. A full IP isn't needed to ban users so it's not really needed.

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Most servers with host cloaking nowadays use obscurity rather then simple 'hiding', so you can set a ban on the scrambled ip and it will be as effective as a ban on the users real ip (without needlessly effecting other users). You don't need to know the troublemakers IP address to effectively ban them.

R
rc2002b Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R
This was a situation where the wrong person was banned because of similar subnet masks.. a.k.a. AOL.

I wanted to be able track the perpertrator, they caused my friend to be banned from thier own chat room.

R
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
R
There is one thing that you may try to do,in order to see address of the perpertrator,you can put perpertrator on your notify list,and thick show address checkbox,so when the guy connects to the server mIRC will notify you and give you full address before server put mode to mask address.
However this may or may not work,but you can give it a try.

K
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
K
Even with the IP totally visible, AOL makes it VERY difficult to ban their users by ANY method. They constantly change the IP of the user, and the changes are vastly different than the orginal IP.

R
rc2002b Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R
Thanks! I will give that a try.

Dan

Link Copied to Clipboard