mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#40855 10/08/03 07:36 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Yes all of what you said is true, which is why I think Gamesnet is being overly cautious.

When someone applies for a channel on my network the application is sometimes referred to a solicitor who then says 'aye' or 'no' to the application, because at times there has been issues with things like trademarks but in this case I doubt Khaled or Gamesnet would have anything to worry about.

#40856 10/08/03 08:12 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I don't think they are being overly cautious, I think they are being ridiculous. Do they block #Windows from being registered unless Bill Gates gives an OK? It's really a stupid policy.

#40857 10/08/03 08:32 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
I'm sure it's nothing to do with legality of any sort. It's simply because people will often hear something like '#mIRC is the official mIRC channel, you can trust those guys', and then of course they run off to #mIRC on any random network and assume it's the one and only channel by that name. Still, it does seem excessive.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#40858 10/08/03 08:39 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Well I'm not talking legality. Put it this way, are #x-chat, #bitchx, #ircle, etc set up the same way? If someone joins a #bitchx, regardless of the network, it is likely that they will make the same assumption that most would with #mirc, that it is official. So what I'm saying is, I doubt they do it for every other IRC client out there, so why are they doing it for mIRC? Makes no sense to me...

#40859 11/08/03 01:11 AM
S
Sprice Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
Actually, on this network, generally they do not allow any other kinds of channels to be registered other than gaming channels. All of the people that come into the channel only come there because they see advertisements which we put out saying that we help with just about everything (nothing legal of course) However, being that we take so much of a load off of the #support channel that they have (frequently gets over 2000 hits per day) they like the idea of the channel, but don't want to register the name to us until the owner of the name itself consents. As you will see in their channel registration guidelines, either the owner must have it registered to him, or give consent to a certain person to register the channel. On a side note, I am wondering why it is that you keep going back to the topic of illegal software and the such, we do NOT allow anything of the sort and wish that you would stop going to that topic.

#40860 11/08/03 02:16 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
#mIRC never advertises.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
#40861 11/08/03 03:29 AM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I don't recall mentioning illegal software, not even once.

#40862 11/08/03 07:23 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
I'm sure that you realize that the only person this should be directed to is Khaled. If he doesnt reply here, i suggest you email him.

We do tend to stick mainly with mIRC related questions and try to aim ppl in the right direction for other issues. Since you intend your channel to be much more diversified, have you considered coming up with a more inclusive name?

General comments:
Note that in the mIRC FAQ, Tjerk says "If you have further questions about mIRC, please visit the IRC channel #mIRC on EFnet, IRCnet, Undernet or Dalnet." As a SOp on DALnet #mIRC and knowing the ops on the other networks as well as Khaled, i can assure you that we are all well aware that its our responsibility to maintain the standards he expects from us. I think to ask him to give some sort of "official approval" to someone he doesnt know and trust is asking a bit too much, but thats just my opinion.

It isnt up to anyone other than Gamesnet to set their policies, but they do state the "mission of this network is to register computer gaming related channels" and that "Channels are to be registered to the current leader of the organization that the channel represents". mIRC is a registered trademark, so i can see their point.

Seems like whenever ppl see the word mIRC they assume Khaled is in there someplace, whereas if they see windows they rarely think bill gates knows anything about it. If they go into a #mIRC on something.net and have a bad experience, they tar all #mIRC's and Khaled with the same brush.

Regardless, the only one who can address the original question is Khaled. Its up to him whether or not he wants to give "official sanction" to anything and up to Gamesnet what policies they set about the matter. So could we stop with yet another legal discusssion and quibbling over who posted what when?

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#40863 12/08/03 12:14 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
What makes me laugh is that the people who are telling GamesNET users to get Khaled's permission to register a channel (for whatever reason, legal or otherwise) are the same people who say "It's just IRC, don't take it so seriously".

I can see their point though. Kinda.

*gives out pie* smirk

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard