mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#39260 02/08/03 06:12 AM
K
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
K
Ok, this is the third time I have gotten this error message and it is EXTREMELY annoying. Right in the middle of doing something, I get disconnected with an error message something like "Unable to create socket". It keeps trying to connect to the server and it gets the same error message. I cannot do anything and I have to restart mIRC to be able to connect again.

Now, I would usually be able to deal with an error message like that, except that is not the only thing that happens when I get that message. The first time I got it was a couple of weeks ago when I was working on a script. I was working on this script for more than a month and I got this error. I was confused but when I got reconnected again (after I restarted my client), the entire contents of my script was deleted! The file was still there, I checked Windows Explorer (I am using Windows XP btw) and the file was there, there was just nothing in it. Needless to say I wouldn't use mIRC for most of the night (which is a BIG thing for me lol).

So I got over that and gave up on the script forever. But tonight I got the same error twice. The first time, right before it happened, i little window popped up saying that one of my files has been edited and asked if I wanted to reload it. I know I had not edited this file so I figured maybe a virus or trojan got in or something, so I did not reload the file. As soon as I did that I got the "Unable to create socket" error. I checked my script in windows explorer and again and it was fine. There was no trojan or virus, the file was still there and the script was still there, and it was unedited even though my client said it had been edited.

The third error (the second one tonight) basically happened randomly. I was just sitting there and I got the error. I don't remember what I was doing at the time. I may have been editing a part of my script, but i doubt it. After I came back (another client restart), I looked at my scripts and noticed that approximately HALF of my scripts were unloaded. This time they were untouched, just unloaded. I probably had approximately 35-40 scripts loaded and right now only 19 of them are loaded. I have no idea what is causing this. All I know is that it is messing my scripts up, messing up my connection, and is overall aggravating me.

Do you know if this is some kind of bug or is there any way to fix this?

Last edited by KilledInAction; 02/08/03 06:15 AM.
#39261 03/08/03 06:38 PM
K
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
K
Ok I lied... the third one DID delete a couple of files that I just realized were missing when I looked for the scripts.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Am I in the right forum?

Should I take this somewhere else?

#39262 04/08/03 06:08 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Sockets and i dont get along well, so i doubt i can be much help. Have you tried loading your scripts back one at a time to see if one of them is causing the prob?

As for mysterious unloading, i can remember ppl occasionally reporting scripts unloading for no apparent reason, but i dont recall anyone who could reproduce it at will, which makes it hard to figure out why it sometimes happens. one thing you could try is using the search feature, set it to all forums and expand the date range to all, with socket (or unloading) as search term.

Most ppl who help here read all the forums, but since it could be a prob with one of your scripts/sockets i could move this thread to the scripting area if you'd like?

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#39263 04/08/03 02:37 PM
K
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
K
I've tried to check previous posts here and found a couple things on the entire board, but not much. I don't know where the post belongs since I'm not really sure what kind of problem it is. Thanks though.

Link Copied to Clipboard