mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#3904 29/12/02 10:10 AM
S
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
S
Recently I've been experiencing problems keeping mIRC connected while I'm playing a game called Dark Age of Camelot in the foreground. I constantly get ping timeouts on all the servers I'm connected to (usually 2 or 3).

It probably has to do with DAoC taking a lot of CPU time, but that's kind of ridiculous. Other similar programs stay connected while I'm playing, and other players playing DAoC stay connected with mIRC as well.

I'm running WinXP Pro. I increased the threading priority for mIRC to 'high' to see if it made any difference, and it still disconnected (though I think it did so less).

Having written a chat client myself in the past I'm surprised to run into the bahaviour. mIRC barely needs any CPU time, yet somehow it doesn't even get the time it needs? Is the connection thread running with Idle priority or something?

All this is on an Athlon XP 2000+ with 512 MB DDR333, so I don't see why my mIRC should disconnect while other people stay connected. Any ideas?

#3905 29/12/02 01:46 PM
S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
The same thing happens here when I'm connected to DNWT (I connect only that one), when I'm playing any game. My three bots (safety, statistics and fun) and I get pings timeout every 2 minutes. I thought it had something to do with one of our server which has some problems these days (lots of lag), but it seems not, according to your post. I'm also awaiting the one who can answer...:)

DNWT.net Coalition of irc networks
#3906 29/12/02 06:17 PM
F
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
F
I'm assuming it's online games you're playing? If so, then maybe it has to do with the data you're receiving. I doubt that's the case, but maybe it is, who knows. Maybe you should try using a packet sniffer or something to further investigate. In any event, that may be what's wrong, but probably isnt.

Experience The Void.. Are You Ready?
#3907 29/12/02 06:28 PM
S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
No, I'm not playing any online game, except sometimes Darkstone but only in local with my sister.

DNWT.net Coalition of irc networks
#3908 31/12/02 04:30 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It probably has to do with DAoC taking a lot of CPU time, but that's kind of ridiculous.

Ridiculous it might be though that could be the problem. Is your game heavy on 3D video? 3D video can absolutely cane both the processor and memory. In my view you have the better processor for gaming, AMD is the way to go, though this may not always be enough. What's your video card like? The older the card the more likely it is to tax your processor and memory. You will want a bare minimum of 64MB ram on the card. Use Leadtek or Matrox or another top brand too, not a cheapie.

I only wish I had your MHz and DDR, I'm stuck with SDRAM and a 1300, though I don't play games so it's not so bad.

Link Copied to Clipboard