mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#38809 29/07/03 03:28 AM
B
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
B
I've got this problem with mirc, and its only started recently. The people in the help channels online seem to be misinterpreting my problem. The system is a Win2K box with SP2, 200 MB RAM, and mirc 6.03, with Eudora, Yahoo Messenger, and IE 5.5 being open at the same time.

I normally keep 6 channels open across two servers, tiled with the status windows minimized. So far so good. Each channel has the main window where the chat is displayed, the userlist on the right side, and the textbox where I type down at the bottom. I usually use ctrl-tab to tab between the channels. I do not use any scripts.

Here's the problem: Every so often, seemingly at random (I've yet to actually get a pattern to it), the cursor in the textbox where I type shifts from the standard left-side typing, to right-side typing. Basically, instead of typing from left to right, it types from right to left! Instead of being left-justified, like normal mirc text-boxes, its right-justified. A temporary fix is to exit the channel and re-enter it, but that doesn't actually fix the problem or tell me what's causing it.

The "help" that I've gotten in the past was to check the settings. I've checked all the settings, there is no setting for this kind of right-justification. The "help" I've received involved turning off the second text box which never opens in the first place, to a cascade setting under the window menu. These are clearly barking up the wrong tree, as they have nothing to do with my actual problem. Sorry for the rant, but I want people to know what I have tried.

In order to fix this, I have deleted the program and reinstalled it. The only file I saved was the servers.ini which has the two small independant servers I frequent. The bug returned.

Has *anyone* encountered anything similar to this? I'm ready to just delete mirc off the system and go for another IRC client because of this.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Please dont consider your post a rant. The more info we are given, the better able we are to help you.

That said, the only things that came to mind are really longshots
-my first thought was what font are you using, even tho i cant see why that would cause your off and on prob. Still, it wouldnt hurt to change fonts just to see if it made any diff

-scripts. i know you said you dont use any, and that you reinstalled mIRC, but have you double checked in remotes/alias/popups just to be sure what is there?

-i dont use 2k, so i havent any idea what options are there, and by "settings" i'm not sure if you meant you checked mIRC's or windows as well

-i'm not familiar with any trojans that do that, but running a couple good virus scans never hurts and is usually worth a try

Sorry i cant be more help. Could have sworn we had someone post about the same problem a good while back, but i couldnt find it and my memory banks arent reliable. I'll run a few more searches and let you know if i find anything. Hopefully someone else will be able to help better than i can.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
CTRL-RightShift: makes it enter text starting on the right.
CTRL-LeftShift: makes it enter text starting on the left.

DALnet: #HelpDesk and #m[color:#FF0000]IR[color:#EEEE00]C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
I franticly hammered on the CTRL and right and left shift keys, but noticed no difference... no effect at all in fact :-) I fear you have to provide us with some more info? Might this have todo with the font used, and maybe the font encoding, or the 'script' you can set in the font selection dialog?

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
I may be misreading the problem you're having, but have you checked that it's not the secondary editbox for channel windows (ALT+Q). You may have accidently bumped it at some stage, the check box to turn it on isn't in the Options dialog that I know of, so looking for it there won't help. You have to either right click on the editbox for channel windows and goto 'Options' or open the menu for the channel (right click on the switchbar button) and click on 'Editbox'.

- Jason
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
mIRC has no internal coding that allows it to change the state of an editbox to a right-to-left typing method. I would guess that Windows itself, or an external program, is affecting mIRC, and changing the editbox state for some reason.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Taking a quick guess, is your Windows system by any chance located for middle/far east support? Because I've tried it on 7 different machines (NT4, 2000, ME, XP Home/Pro, 98, 98SE) and it didn't happen on any of them.

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Actually, it has nothing to do with mIRC at all. It is a Windows (I use XP Pro SP1 but I'm fairly sure that Win2K has something similar) setting:

> Start
> Settings
> Control Panel
> Regional and Language Options
> Languages Tab

Supplemental language support

Most languages are installed by default. To install additional languages,
select the appropriate check box below.

[ ] Install files for complex script and right-to-left languages (including Thai)

If that checkbox is checked, the Ctrl + [Left|Right] Shift works.

NOTE: If you change that setting, Windows will uninstall all support for Arabic, Armenian, Georgian, Hebrew, Indic, Thai and Vietnamese and will require a reboot. However, you will not be vexed with the right-to-left text input problem any more. cool

DALnet: #HelpDesk and #m[color:#FF0000]IR[color:#EEEE00]C
B
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
B
Thanks for the help, Hammer. I think you're the first person to know what I meant when I said right to left typing.

For those that are asking about the font, I use 9pt. Fixedsys exclusively with mIRC.

In the Win2K control panel under Regional Settings... there's a list of check-boxed languages there that would normally be read right to left (Hebrew comes to mind), but there's no checkbox. I've gone ahead and unchecked them, and I'll keep you posted as to whether this works.

Oddly enough, I haven't had this happen in other programs, but then I don't normally hit the crtl-tab... I might be hitting the shift bar by accident when hitting the right crtl at times. It would also explain the one time it "fixed" itself and went back to left-justification.

I'll keep people posted.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
/me hands Hammer a dr pepper. ty to both of you, i'd heard xp had something like that somewhere and wasnt sure if 2k did as well.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet

Link Copied to Clipboard