mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
jez Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
This feature request is simple: channel logfiles are saved in a subdir, by default \txts. File downloads are saved, by default, in the subdir \download. Why on earth is mIRC still saving channel listing caches (eg. EFNET.txt, DALNET.txt, QuakeNet.txt, etc) in the MAIN mIRC directory? I have about 20 of these caches there and they're ugly, and clutter the directory.

Could mIRC please save them, by default, in something like \channels ? I have, in fact, been requesting this feature for over a year now. :-) I e-mailed Khaled about it ages ago and he said it was on the 'to do' list. Must be one hell of a list!

Come on. This is nice and easy to implement, Khaled. PLEASE just pop it into one of the next mIRC releases? PRETTY PLEASE??????

== Jez ==
"Each victory is a missed opportunity to die..."
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I have none of these "channel listing caches" nor have I ever heard of them, what's in them?

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
You have to specifically tell mIRC to save it to a file, however you can just as easily tell it to save to a subdir. First, in windows explorer go to the mIRC directory, and create a subdir called "chanlist" now go to the mIRC channel list dialog, and change the using file from "somenet.txt" to "chanlist\somenet.txt"

jez Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
Quote:
I have none of these "channel listing caches" nor have I ever heard of them, what's in them?

Sorry, I just assumed people knew what I meant by the channel cache files.

They are text files, generated by mIRC, that allow you to locally view/search a channel listing once you've got it from a particular server. They simply hold the name and topic for every channel on a certain server, as given by the /LIST command.

If you don't have any, as an example, connect to /server irc.newnet.net (relatively small and easy to get channel listing). Click the 'List channel ' button, fourth from the left on the toolbar, looks like a picture of a globe. For 'Using file', type 'NewNet.txt' and make sure the 'Match text' box is empty. Set min at 0 and max at 9999, and uncheck any other options. Then click 'Get list!'. mIRC will get the list of channels on the server for you and a beep will notify you when it has finished. If you now do the channel listing again, but click 'Apply', it will be almost instantaneous thanks to the local channel listing cache.

However, go look in your mIRC directory. Yuk! A file called NewNet.txt has been created, the cache file. Now, if you never do a channel listing/search and always know the name of the channel you're going to join, I guess you wouldn't have any of these files in your mIRC dir. But for those of us who do, it ends up getting very cluttered and it should all be saved in a subdirectory!! :-)

== Jez ==
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
And as I said, instead of saying "newnet.txt" say "chanlist/newnet.txt"

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Thanks, was obvious what you meant thinking about it crazy

jez Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
Quote:
And as I said, instead of saying "newnet.txt" say "chanlist/newnet.txt"

I was just coming to you, codemastr :-)

Now, it's true that, with that extra effort, you can get it to save in a subdirectory. However, this is:
1) Inconvenient. I will most likely forget to prepend 'chanlist\' to each text file I put in that box. More often, a textfile name is automatically specified by mIRC, by using the $network identifier, so I don't even type the name of the textfile. It's not a good enough solution.
2) Inconsistent. Logfiles and downloaded files have their save directories specified in the options dialog. These cache files should too, to maintain consistency.

Therefore, what I am proposing is that you shouldn't even have to prepend the subdir name to the filename in the channel listing box to specify saving it in a subdirectory. It should be possible to specify a subdirectory to save these caches to, by default, in the options dialog. I do acknowledge that, with very inconvenient extra work, it's possible to do this at the moment, though.

== Jez ==
jez Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
Looking at the Options dialog, I would suggest adding another button to specify this subdir in the Options -> IRC -> Logging section, right at the bottom. Just add another button for "Channel listing cache folder", and make something like "\Cache" the default.

== Jez ==
T
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
T
This can easily be made using raws, no need for mirc to add it...

jez Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
This functionality can *NOT* be properly achieved using RAW events. Sure, you could move the channel cache files immediately after receiving the end of a /list. However, where would mIRC look for the network's cache file next time you tried to generate a channel list? The main mIRC directory.

This DOES need to be a proper mIRC option.

== Jez ==

Link Copied to Clipboard