mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
D
DuRaCeL Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
D
Hi, a girlfriend of mine's getting stalked by a guy.
She's getting stalked all day long.
Is there a solution like PERMANENT BAN on Quakenet ??
Because she's getting tired of him and will not hold it loger.
Please reply as fast as you can!!
DuRaCeL
confused

D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
If you or somebody else you know is seriously getting stalked, then it may be better to seek assistance outside simply the IRC network.

For information on cyberstalking and how to deal with cyberstalking, take a look at CyberAngel.org's website. They are an online safety organization that have volunteers and even some law enforcement officers who are trained to deal with these types of situations.

In serious situations, consider talking to your local law enforcement agency.

Regardless of what happens, make sure that you log all incidences with the stalker. The logs should be dated, timestamped and should include the appropropriate contact information - on IRC, a copy of the person's /whois would be appropriate. If the stalking spills over to email and so on, conserve all the headers. You *need* to have a record of the person's IP address.

Report the abuser to their Internet Service Provider. This site here might offer you a few pointers on how to do that even if it's more oriented for spam reports. In addition, DALnet's Documentation Website might also be of assistance.

Hope this helps,

Dana

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
D
DuRaCeL Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
D
Issn't there just a permanent ban from the channel cause going to the law and so is to much i think.

D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
If you want the person to be banned from the channel, then speak to the channel operators. If you want to see the person banned from the network, then speak to the IRC operators of that network.

However, keep in mind that most people on IRC have dynamic ip addresses. Banning somebody permanently is not as easy as you might think if they want to evade.

Also, I would just recommend having your girlfriend putting the person on ignore. A lot of harassers get off by provoking a reaction out of their victim. They want attention. Don't give it to them and they will get bored and go off to do something else.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
D
DuRaCeL Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
D
Tnx for raply i will tell it to her, and i hope he will stop stalking.
Tnx dana

M
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
M
You know, if you had just asked politely I would have stopped stalking her.

D
DuRaCeL Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
D
who says its you ? I don't know you.
The channel where she has been stalked is #deleted on Q-net.
I think your holding me for another person.

not so smart to put in a channel name... you do not want more stalkers, do you?

Last edited by Krejt; 29/12/02 10:01 AM.
L
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
L
I've never been on q-net but I got virtually stalked by a guy on another server for a long time. It started off really stupid, like in the chan he would follow me from chan to chan (/whoising my nick), then a couple times he would tell the op that I was spamming so I'd get kicked.. This sorta childish/stupid behaviour went on and off for a while. Then it got worse..

He began to nuke me till I got booted off irc. When I reconnected, if he was thier, he'd boot me again. I decided to get smart and learned how to protect myself from these so called nukes and even how to launch my own (though I never did.. I kept remember lines from movies about stuping to thier level).

What I did do though was keep acurate records of conversation exchanges and handed them over to irc "officials". It actually stopped for a while then one day he started again. So, I finally told a couple fellow geek buddies of mine to make him go away, and like Jimmy Hoffa, I haven't heard of him since.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
There's only two ways of defeating a stalker.

1. Put them and all their nicks on ignore and/or simply don't reply to them in any way. Most will get bored with knowing that it appears that their efforts are not having the desired affect. If you reply to them you are giving them the satisfaction they want.

2. If the person is dangerous, ring the police. I don't support online 'net coppers'. Sites that offer advice are fine providing the site is authored by someone that lives in the same jurasdiction as you but sites promoting a type of online law enforcement are not and for a number of reasons.

Firstly and most importantly the law depends entirely on where you live. What is quite okay in one jurasdiction is not okay in another.

Similarly some jurasdictions allow vigilantes to enforce the law whereas others do not. Countries and states that operate to "Common Law" principles will not allow it because in most cases a normal citizen doing crime fighting is interpreted as stalking in itself which is why in most cases people such as security officers and private enquiry officers have to do a course and then hold a licence.

At the end of the day, take it from someone whos had everything from "I'm a h4x0r and I will own your box" to phone calls mentioning my full name, followed by the death threat and how it will be carried out, just ignore the idiots completely and they'll go away.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Logging in my opinion really doesn't make much of a difference because i'm sure you know logs can be "altered" to pin the blame on someone else...we had this problem with nukers on a channel once and when the user logged everything and turned the logs into network admins and im only using this as an example, the accused user denied it basically went on as one users word against another because logs did not match....personally i think logging is kinda pointless because anyone can alter or create a log just to pin blame if any on a user who has no idea what is goin on. Which leads into a good question that i thought of....Is there any way to prevent a user from altering any logs what so ever so that incidents like said example from happening to the innocent users? and if not could it be possible to add something in future versions of mIRC that does something similar?

Babel fish
Babel fish
Here's a SIMPLE, yet effective, solution that I've not seen posted yet (which I am quite surprised of): /ignore

Simply have her do a /whois on his nickname. Everything after the Whatever@, put an ignore on. So say his address is:

IamDaStalker@Wherever.somelink.net

You would do:

/ignore *!*@Wherever.somelink.net

Hope this helps in a great way for you and her!

-Zmodem

Link Copied to Clipboard