mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
A
Angelia Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
A
Hey. I've had a weird thought about adding a cool feature to mIRC -- voice chat. Give me your opinions on this. grin

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
It would be no different than it is now. Maybe it would even help to re-emphasise mIRCs purpose as a chat/communications program, Rather than the downloading tool a lot of newbies take it for now.

B
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
B
voice chat and video chat are two things that are desperately needed to be built-in to the next version of mIRC if you ask me.

To anyone who wants to tell me to download some script: if there is some script out there for it, don't tell me, because I'm not interested. I'm not going to have every single person that I ever want to voice chat with or talk to over my webcam download some script and install it..

- Wherever you go there you are.[color:lightgreen]
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Well take yahoo for example, i've spent many times trying to do voice chat and heres what it would be like:

- Some loser(s) who want to continuously plays music especially crap I don't care to hear and when you ignore someone theres always another who's doing the same thing....

- Some lamers arguing and cursing one another out non-stop

- Some moron making noises mimicing bodily functions i.e. stupid fart noises. Also, some clown who thinks he's a comedian and doing impressions of Beavis and Butthead.

- Becky23f and topdawg22m having cyber sex over voice chat ( ok ok well few of us would probably listen but still not the place grin )

- No actual conversation taking place just the occasional few saying "Can you hear me now?" "Good!"

If you look at such websites like www.mircscripts.org, there is a webcam addon, or at least there was and I could have sworn that I also saw a voice chat addon. Do not quote me on that for I may be wrong.

*Note: Some of the above nicknames listed are fictional. In no way shape or form are these actual people. Any similarity is just plainly coincidental! grin

*Edit: Parabrat brought up the fact that people are constantly asking how to turn the darn thing off!

The_Game sticks his tongue out at Parabrat....I forgot nothing grin but here's a cookie anyways LOL

Last edited by The_Game; 23/07/03 11:27 PM.
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
you forgot to mention all the ppl asking how to turn the darned thing OFF :tongue:

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Your speaking of a Group voice chat, there would be problems with that. I thought the poster intended a private DCC voice chat session with a specified user, Which is what most people refer too when they suggest Voice integration.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
You're right I only used the group as an example of similarities. I could have went further and included with the private chats the problem with lagtimes and getting the connection cancelled, the echo of your message on their end, not getting complete words...

I kinda figured people could have thought of that factor on their own...guess not. But yeah if it was included with mIRC, it would probably be strikingly similar to yahoo's current features with voice/audio.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
You're right I only used the group as an example of similarities. I could have went further and included with the private chats the problem with lagtimes and getting the connection cancelled, the echo of your message on their end, not getting complete words...

Well basically, you just proved DCC SEND should be removed. After all, it experiences lag, connections getting cancelled, and incomplete transfers. If you don't like the idea of DCC VOICE, then all you have to do is, don't use it. Khaled could easily add a /ignore +v <mask> command that lets you disable it easily. Or I'm sure there will also be some sort of scripting way to do it as well. If you don't like it, don't use it.

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
It sounds like your trying to suggest that Voice communication between 2 people isn't viable on the internet because Yahoo have had problems. I've haven't used many voice chat programs before, but the ones I have, haven't had the problems you mention. Perhaps yahoo implement it badly?

Z
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
Z
for voice communication i use iparty... i think it's a pretty old software (well, the copyright is 1995 hehe) and it works perfectly... one people opens the server and the others connect to it... simple...

i think it would be great have something like DCC VOICE and i see no problems in it... i dont validate any problems that i read in the past

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Good point, I frequently use netmeeting and I've never really experienced any of the mentioned problems.

Link Copied to Clipboard