mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#37708 21/07/03 06:22 PM
C
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
C
If your reading this, I commend your bravery at the risk of spam. The subject sounds spammy doesn't it.

Ok no doubt many of you have heard of trillian and how its an instant messenger for irc, msn, etc etc etc.

I tried it today and thought "This is both cool and sucks. I like my mIRC scripting abilities".

Being the intrepid thinkerer that I am I thought of the following idea:
A Proxy that translates from protocol to protocol.

SO maybe its not exactly uber original, and aparently there is a server somewhere that does this sort of thing, (which i cou;dn't find really).
However... WOULD you people be interested in the idea that you can use mIRC "anywhere", and talk to your friends on say MSN from within mIRC JUST like you were in a private window or chat room.

Scripters, now cry out "Ok sooooo thats been done"
For you I say this much:
-Easy to extend to new protocols with tricky use of signals and Object-Orientated techniques for scripting.
-The ability to serve as a proxy/bnc so other's can talk to anyoen on msn/aol/yahoo/WHATEVER.

Sort of a preprocessor type thing.
Now I already started scripting it, but I got to the scrapheap stage and I've decided my state of mind needs propping up.

Users: Would you use such an addon?
Scripters: Would you develop the addon to cater for other protocols if it was easy?

#37709 21/07/03 06:27 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
i think it would be a great idea, tho i only use msn messenger.

new username: tidy_trax
#37710 21/07/03 06:58 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
There are already about 50 billion different programs that do this. IMIRC currently allows you to chat with AIM users through IRC and support for MSN and YIM is planned. Then there is ICQServ which allows communication with ICQ users via IRC.

I find it utterly stupid to implement this as a slow mIRC script when super fast C programs already exist to do the same thing, and they exist network wide, it's not just for one channel, it works for anyone on IRC. I really don't see why it's a good idea to spend time on that which is already done.

#37711 21/07/03 07:12 PM
C
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
C
Oh everythign thats not done in C is utterly stupid for you isn't it codemaster...

The point?
How many of those programs are open source?
Anyway, I also figure I can script in mIRC in an object oriented manner (no, not quite, but as close as I can..) and this is the make or break for my school of thoguht at the moment.

iMIRC. Hrm. brb looking for it - ok didn't find it on mircsripts.org and 30 seconds is all i want to bother to look for.

Anyway, have you ever seen the adverts for "Miricle Blade III"'s? Late night infomercial - they are the coolest knives i've ever seen... I'm glad no one wiht your "don't reinvent it" attitude was around when we started out in the stone age

oh well your probably right tho

#37712 21/07/03 07:30 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Oh everything thats not done in C is utterly stupid for you isn't it codemaster...

An accurate assesment.

#37713 21/07/03 07:47 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
agreed

new username: tidy_trax
#37714 21/07/03 07:59 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:

Oh everythign thats not done in C is utterly stupid for you isn't it codemaster...

Not at all, I have no problems with mIRC scripts. However, I do believe if something is better implemented in another faster language (and I believe this is), then it should be implemented in a compiled langauge. For example I laugh when I see "mIRC HTTPd" and things of that nature. That might be fine if you are running a website with 5 users, but do you think google.com could thrive if it were run from an mIRC script? I doubt it. Same holds here, if there are 2 people holding 2 AIM conversations, an mIRC script is fine, if there are 100 people holding 500 conversations, well then it is no longer fine.

Quote:
How many of those programs are open source?

Umm... all of them.

Quote:
Anyway, I also figure I can script in mIRC in an object oriented manner (no, not quite, but as close as I can..) and this is the make or break for my school of thoguht at the moment.

So you mean you've developed a technique to make the mIRC script version even slower by implementing a pseudo-oop layer?

Quote:
iMIRC. Hrm. brb looking for it - ok didn't find it on mircsripts.org and 30 seconds is all i want to bother to look for.

As I said, it's not an mIRC script, so why would you expect to find it on mircscripts.org? IMIRC in fact is a Perl program, and if you used Google (searching for "IMIRC IRC" finds it really fast), you would have known that.

Quote:
Anyway, have you ever seen the adverts for "Miricle Blade III"'s? Late night infomercial - they are the coolest knives i've ever seen... I'm glad no one wiht your "don't reinvent it" attitude was around when we started out in the stone age

Umm why are they so great? When was the last time you said "I need to saw through a steel pipe... better get a steak knife!" I'd much rather use my $5 steak knive which works perfect for cutting steak, and use my electric reciprocating saw when I need to cut a pipe. But maybe thats just me, maybe everyone else in the world reaches into the kitchen drawer to pull out a knive when they need to cut a pipe...

oh well your probably right tho

#37715 21/07/03 11:21 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Wow, since when do instant messenger programs need to be fast? I didn't know that we advocated the mass messaging of multiple users within a short time frame. Just like all your other mIRC Scripts, they are communications based... that is, for casual communications purposes and not meant to handle mission critical time sensitive data.

I can't imagine wanting to shave a couple milliseconds off sending an ICQ message to someone, if it meant learning a new programming language to do so. (For those who don't know C++)

mIRC Script is perfectly acceptable for this task. If only all instant messenger programs were natively written in mIRC Script to start.

- Raccoon
PS. All steak knives sold on TV after 2am are demonstrated cutting through steal pipe and even tile. Where have you been?

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
#37716 22/07/03 03:23 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
How about we read his post, shall we?

-The ability to serve as a proxy/bnc so other's can talk to anyoen on msn/aol/yahoo/WHATEVER.

Thats what I was referring to. I never talked about mass messaging, I'm talking about running this script in a channel that has 500 users in it each of which is carrying on 1-2 conversations. He sure made it sound like this was going to be an IM->IRC gateway, not simply an IM client built into mIRC (and there are already dozens of those), so I fail to see what your point is.

#37717 24/07/03 07:35 PM
C
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
C
the prxoy / bnc thing wasn't meant to imply "I want to run half of the internet connectiosn in the world thru this".

there's nothing that would slow mIRC down by coding in a STYLE which takes some oop practises; infact i'm reasonably confident that it would cut down the size of the code (overall) and hopefully that will also mena a bit less prcoessing power (well HOPEFULLY)

But anywho its 4am and i have a software engineering course at 9am with which i have to toddle off to and start taking codemaster's point of view about C/C++

Link Copied to Clipboard