mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
L
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
L
Greetings,

After setting up my mIRC up on a new LAN with DSL connection (Ethernet Cable Connection), I have been having trouble trying to Resolve a connection so that I may send files over DCC. At one point I was able to send, but after the 2nd file transfer (be it send or recieve) I would get my connection "reset by peer".

Then after switching from Normal Connection to a Server Connection I was able to recieve DCC files, though I would get my connection reset if I sent anything. To try and solve this I tried a different server. I was still able to recieve files, though now I can not even send DCC files at all, instead I get a response of "Unable to resolve Local Host".

I am transfering files of 1-30k bytes at the most and are extremely small (more specifically for the game Stars!) and I have been using the irc.starlink.org or any other Starlink connection. I have no firewall that I am aware of, though I do belive it has to deal with the problem I have a dynamic IP address which is constantly changing.

Any help with this problem would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance, The Lost Shakir

G
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
G
What IP/Hostname does mIRC think you have?
(this can be checked in Options -> Connect -> Local Info, in the two editboxes located at the top)
If it is incorrect, try changing the lookup method in the Local Info at the bottom.

L
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
L
Greetings,

To answer your question my IP address is dynamically set and I am still having trouble trying to identify it. To add on top of it I changed my IP to what I thought it actually does, then my connection gets "reset by peer" all over again... though I am still able to recieve files. Also the Hostname is also constantly changing in mIRC making it hard for me to try and figure out what the problem is frown

After taking Merlin's advice and going to http://www.mishscript.de/ircguide/irc7.htm I had found this additive:

"-7.6 Dynamic IP
If you have dynamic IP (your IP address is different each time you log on), make sure that "On connect, always get:" in the File/Setup/Local_Info dialog is set to get the Local Host and IP Address. If these were already set to ON make sure the correct 'local host' name and 'IP Address' are found by mIRC... on some winsocks this is rather tricky... If you have a non-compliant stack, mIRC may not be able to correctly find your local host (domain name) and IP. With dynamic IP addressing you are in trouble then !! DCC file sending and initiating a DCC Chat (contrary to file getting and accepting a DCC Chat) requires that mIRC knows your correct IP number. Even without an IP number at all, mIRC will work as far as normal chatting is concerned, but won't allow DCC file sending or initiating a DCC Chat."

I happen to have that problem at the end of this and may have to revert to getting a better OS. I was hoping to use the DCC in the first place, hence the reason for registering mIRC... If somebody has a better solution to this problem I would greatly apreaciate the input.

Best wishes, The Lost Shakir

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Ok well few conflicts in what you said, you say you are on a LAN well a LAN is a network implying two or more computers. Is this the case? If it is that would mean you have a router? If so a router has something called NAT (Network Address Translation) which basically acts as a firewall. If you don't have a router, then you most likely are not on a LAN. In any case, additional info would be helpful

Version of Windows
Version of mIRC
If you have a router, what brand/model is it, did you enable port forwarding, etc.
Before setting up the LAN did DCC work fine?
in alt+o | connect | local info what is lookup method set to?
in alt+o | connect | local info what is "on connect, always get" set to?

Link Copied to Clipboard