mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
_
_PJ_ Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
_
Hello. When an IRCop or U:Lined server sends a network wide message using the $irc.server.com, or $*.com format, MIRC does not properly display the message in a Private Message box. It will instead send the message to the active window, or the STATUS window using the NOTICE color and format. Here is an example:

Code:
 /msg $irc.server.com This is a test of a server wide msg (see rfc1459) that each user will receive!

That is sent to MIRC as (raw output):

Code:
 :PJ!PJ@PJs.Hostname.com PRIVMSG $IRC.SERVER.COM :This is a test of a server wide msg (see rfc1459) that each user will receive!

This also occurs with wild cards:

Code:
 /msg $*.com This is a test of a server wide msg (see rfc1459) that each user will receive!!

Which is recieved as:
Code:
 :PJ!PJ@PJs.Hostname.com PRIVMSG $*.COM :This is a test of a server wide msg (see rfc1459) that each user will receive!

As you can see, the receiver is listed as $IRC.SERVER.COM and $*.COM respectively, instead of the individual user's nick, which I suspect is the reason for the MIRC bug. The $irc.server.com format is documented in the RFC:

http://www.geektools.com/rfc/rfc1459.txt

This is quite annoying, as it does not allow Opers to communicate with their MIRC users as intended. All other IRC clients I have tested handle this properly, with the line spawning a PRIVMSG window. Often times the notice data will get lost in the shuffle, flying by in the status window or whatever channel they are in, and is not given as much attention as a PRIVMSG would. If you could fix this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
-Paul
irc.dynamix.com

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I hardly think that is "not handled properly" why would you open a new window when there's never going to be a reply to the message? More to the point, at the receiving end does the message look any different? Not on my network, therefor receiving users will not immediately know the message was sent to all.

Try newsflashes if your IRCd supports them, it's a better way to send global messages to users.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I don't think that was his point. His point is RFC1459 defines "one to all" messages and therefore mIRC should handle them correctly. "newsflashes" are a nonstandard extension that to my knowledge are only supported by CR.

_
_PJ_ Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
_
Ya. My main point wasn't that it made it harder to communicate, my main point was that its either a bug, or a violation of the RFC.

If MIRC chooses not to display the messages as actual messages, that is of course the authors choice, but it also breaks the RFC. I just wanted to bring this to the authors attention since I had a hunch it was a bug, not a conscious decision.

-PJ
irc.dynamix.com

_
_PJ_ Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
_
Also, as to users not knowing the difference between single msgs and global msgs, that is more an issue for the IRCops to deal with, than MIRC. Opers should include some sort of note that it's global if they want it known to be global. Or if they don't want it to be known as global, that's their choice too. Either way, I think MIRC should adhere to the RFC as opposed to not displaying the data as a msg because users might get confused.

Same thing to your 'if there's not going to be a reply' argument. I really don't think MIRC should get into the habit of going "Ok, if a user isn't going to reply to this msg, lets not bring it up like we do every other msg", it is just not a good precedent to set. Once people start doing that, RFC's go out the window, and everything stops working with everything else correctly.

Link Copied to Clipboard