mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
___ Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
When using mIRC, I have an awful tendancy to accidently disconnect myself, when trying to view the status window. This occurs due to the status window and the disconnect button being in such close proximity to each other.

I believe I am not alone in accidental disconnection when intending to view the status window, and so I propose for a form of "safety catch" for the disconnect button.

Perhaps something as simple as having an option that requires a double-click on the disconnect button for it to work. This option should be able to be turned on or off, as I am sure some users would be opposed to this "safety catch" idea.

An option that could disable the button altogether would also work well, I feel.

So I put forward this idea, and hope that it will at least be considered for a future release of mIRC. Thankyou for your time.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Yes, I have often done the same thing, I like the idea of double clicking because then it's not really an inconvenience. However it should be an option since I'm sure if it isn't there will be hundreds of "the disconnect button doesn't work" posts.

Also, another (sorta) solution is move your switch bar. If the switch bar is on the bottom or the right then the problem disappears.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The [X] button has something similar to this already (in the form of an "Are you sure") so it should be easy to add to the disconnect button and inline with the [X] button the "Are you sure" can be turned on or off at will. I think this should be added too, a good idea.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
anything that would stop me from disconnecting from the wrong network cause i forgot where cursor was or meant to click on options and hit disconnect would be wondermous! I like the idea of an option to double click or ask me if im sure before i disconnect myself.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
O
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
O
I feel a prompt like "Are you sure" would be the way to go and maybe the same sort of options that can be seen in File - Options - Connect - Options - Muilti-server.
Ironically I accidenly hit disconnect when I was looking for that in options. No joke.

If only women came with popup menus and online help.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Great idea!

I'm at a toss-up between the double-click option vs the "Are You Sure" prompt... the first is unique and would be interesting to have, but the latter would fit in better with Khaled's current design.

* Raccoon is awwed that a Feature Suggestion thread has actually progressed this far without arguement.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I kinda like double click better, reason is, if a dialog pops up you have to move the mouse, click yes or no and then it closes. Double clicking is less of a hassle, just click the button twice.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It should definalty be an options between the two, and the yes/no as default. Reason being as some pointed out, users will be in here "why doesn't disconnect work?!?", or rather "MY DISCONNECT BUTTON DOESN'T WORK!!!!!!!!! (Crap-load more !'s)"

-KingTomato
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
if a dialog pops up you have to move the mouse

Now that would be just terrible wouldn't it lol. :tongue:

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
the more i thought about it, i'm leaning towards the "are you sure" option. altho double click would solve the hitting disc rather than options, i'd still be disconnecting from the wrong network regularly crazy

Raccoon and KT made good points, it would be more in keeping (also what most users are accustomed to in general) AND we wouldnt be coping with tons of bug reports about disconnect not working. course, we would have a bunch about having to move the rodent <insert grin and a cookie at codemastr>

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
O
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
O
I feel your pain, my mouse weighs 60kgs too. wink

If only women came with popup menus and online help.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If he did the right thing and used an M$ meese then he'd need less effort to move it. grin

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Actually with mine there is no effort to move it at all because the mouse cursor is set to auto jump to the default button of a dialog when it pops up. I was speaking in general. In my case it is the opposite, my mouse will jump from the disconnect button to the center of the screen so I have to move it back. I'm not saying it is hard to do, all I'm saying is, why make more work than is necessary?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I suggested the "are you sure" because it's basically already there for other functions, which I assume means that adding it to the disconnect button will make life easier for Khaled. That cursor jump feature is something I really dislike (a personal view) because it's a bit unpredictable at times. First thing I did when I started my current job about 4 1/2 years ago was to disable it on all the machines I use at work, about 5 or 6 of them.

Link Copied to Clipboard