mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#36231 14/07/03 10:34 AM
M
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
I've enabled support for chat links but am unable to get mIRC to connect. While the link will launch mIRC, it will not connect to the specified server and channel. There are two different error messages. The first, for a shortcut on desktop (or in this example, an .url file in the mIRC directory) is simply:

• Cannot find the file 'C:\MIRC\dalmirc.url' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available.

The second, from a web page generates two message dialogs:
  • Cannot find the file 'irc://kernel.ga.us.dal.net/mirc' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available.

The above is a Windows dialog, the following is an IE dialog:
  • Internet Explorer cannot open this helper application for <a href="irc://kernel.ga.us.dal.net/mirc" target="_blank">irc://kernel.ga.us.dal.net/mirc</a> .

The protocol specified in this address is not valid. Make sure the address is correct, and try again.

Note: I don't believe IE is refering to mIRC as the 'helper app' as mIRC did actually launch. I've reinstalled mIRC (per Tye on #mIRC) with no change. These are the HKCR\irc registry keys:
  • REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\irc]
    @="URL:IRC Protocol"
    "EditFlags"=hex:02,00,00,00
    "URL Protocol"=""
    "BrowserFlags"=dword:00000008

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\irc\DefaultIcon]
    @="\"C:\\MIRC\\MIRC.EXE\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\irc\Shell]
    @=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\irc\Shell\open]
    "EditFlags"=hex:01,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\irc\Shell\open\command]
    @="\"C:\\MIRC\\MIRC.EXE\" -noconnect"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\irc\Shell\open\ddeexec]
    @="%1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\irc\Shell\open\ddeexec\Application]
    @="mIRC"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\irc\Shell\open\ddeexec\ifexec]
    @="%1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\irc\Shell\open\ddeexec\Topic]
    @="Connect"

Changing the HKCR\irc\shell\open\command key does no good as mIRC modifies this key each time mIRC is launched (other keys may also be modified as well, I don't know).

I'd like mIRC to launch (if it hasn't already) AND attempt to connect (and confirm the chat link request). I've found that users have alluded to this problem in other posts but none has included a specific resolution. Any help is welcome.

modernboy

Win98 IE6 mIRC6.03

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I am sure that the links require the 'servers.ini' file. Have you modified or deleted yours?

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
My servers.ini is up to date, and I get exactly the same thing. crazy

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Well irc:// links work fine for me so let me compare registry keys.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\irc]
"BrowserFlags"=dword:00000008
That key is not present in my registry.

So try temporarily removing that (I assume based on the stuff you pasted you know it's a good idea to backup the registry first), and see if it helps.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
It's not present in mine either - still doesn't work.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
What version of windows are you using? I tested under XP Home/Pro, NT4 and ME (all using 6.03) and it worked fine...

Also, under alt+o IRC | catcher are both the "enable support for chat links" and "confirm chat link requests" checked?

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
I'm using Windows ME, and both options are enabled, v6.03. It's no biggie really, but it would be nice to know why I can't get it to work!

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Hmm it's possible the problem is in IE, what version of IE do you have?

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
IE 6 - all relevant updates.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
This is the last thing I can think of, and I'm not in ME at the current moment so my directions will probably differ than how it is done in ME. Open windows explorer, then tools | folder options. Go to the "file types" tab. Search [under the items labeled (NONE)] for URL:IRC protocol. Click the "advanced" button. Is "confirm open after download" checked? If not, check it.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Yep, I just looked and it was already checked. crazy

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Then I have no idea, cause your settings are exactly the same as mine :P

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
lol well thanks anyway.

M
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
Thanks Poppy for those responses, I was refering to your previous post as one of the examples of others that have alluded to this problem. It's important for interop reasons that I find a solution. I'm setting up a message forum and its success depends on interactivity between the forum and an IRC channel.

The BrowserFlags registry key was included as part of the HKCR\irc branch in this post. I've removed it and there is no improvement.

I have the URL:IRC Protocol option 'Confirm open after download' checked already as well.

M
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
I believe servers.ini is unrelated to the use of IRC .url shortcuts or irc:// links in web pages. I just updated my servers.ini and I believe anytime I edit entries in Tools -> Options -> Connect I am editing my servers.ini. Maybe you could be more specific about why this might cause the problem I've described.

Another forum user, littlecramp, has also described the same problem in this post. I've also send a private message to littlecramp looking for the solution.

M
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
From littlecramp's response, here, the problem is with mIRC's DDE Server setting, which accepts links from other Windows applications. In mIRC, go to:

File -> Options -> General -> Servers, check Enable DDE Server

If Enable DDE Server is already checked, just uncheck it and recheck it, then restart mIRC.

I forgot to look in mirc.ini to see if the DDE initialization values were incorrect there before I made the correction. The best (and easiest) way to correct the problem is probably through the Tools menu; though I'm curious to know what the mirc.ini DDE and DDEServer values were before I corrected them.

Link Copied to Clipboard