mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Having a manure pile or a mass-deletion of posts will not achieve anything to discourage people from posting just for the sake of getting a big score. When posts are shifted or deleted the score remains as-is, unless the forum software was altered to take this into account of course and that may not be desirable and since this forum is commercial software, it might not even be legal though I haven't read the licence for UBB so I am not sure on that last one.

Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
The suggestion of a manure pile was as an alternative to existing deletions that take place. Rather than deleting entire threads that may contain some useful data when cleaning house so user Searches return more refined results... these lesser posts could be moved to a sanctuary where they can be referenced without frustrating users who don't want to wad through all the off-topic chatter.

However, a Manure pile is designed to dissuade users from useless posts, by having their posts immortalized for everyone to read, rather than having them silently deleted.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
I'm not so sure it's a good idea to have a 'manure pile' either. I sort of agree with the logic, but I don't think it should be implemented for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it would cause the moderators an awful lot more work - and they'd have to decide which posts went there. That would mean wading through a ton of bs since last December. Then there would be people whining "I made a valid point and my post's on the manure pile". Which would just create more of the stuff - because people wouldn't be able to help themselves from responding. In my very humble opinion, we should just get over it and let the moderators get on with silently deleting rubbish posts. Anyone who comes here will soon know who to take advice from, and who to roll their eyes at and ignore cos they're spouting rubbish again.

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Altho i try to cull useful posts and lump them together in one post with each name included, in most cases there's just no need to. For example, Howard makes an idiotic post, Joe,Fred,Sam, Ernie, Dudly and 14 other ppl reply telling Howard its an idiotic post. What sense would there be in saving any of them if the original post is gone? Suppose in the middle of all this Frank and Jesse reply with something new, relevant to the topic and useful, i would create a post copying their posts, attributed to them.

As for 20 posts on a thread about perform that has wandered into Boredom Central and is basically "ok, im bored" "yeah, me too" " shocked smirk frown blush", well sheesh, meet in a channel someplace to chat, it doesnt need to be here whether its in a manure pile or not. And I really see no need to try to embarass someone by putting their posts in a "manure pile" and i really doubt it would "disuade them from useless posts" anyway. Suppose a user posts a horribly incorrect answer, and 3 ppl tell him so, while 1 person gives the correct answer. Do we really need to leave anything other than the correct answer anywhere on the forum? No one is perfect.

When "cleaning house" in old threads, i dont delete something that hasnt been posted in at least one other thread, be it by the same person or someone else. Honestly, do you think we need 75 posts containing only: "How do i identify" "Use the search feature" just so someone can go back and see that they told someone to use the search feature?
And Poppy brings up a good point. I get enuf pms now without adding "how dare you put my wondermous post in the manure pile." "hey, so-and-so had a stupid post, move it to the manure pile".

Honestly, i think we give y'all a lot of leeway, it sure isnt like we delete every offthread post by a long shot, only when it gets way over the line. Altho we arent perfect, I think its rare that any "useful data" thats only in one thread is deleted.

I think the whole concept of a "manure pile" defeats the purpose of this forum, which is to help users. How would they be helped by reading bickering, insults, general nonsense, incorrect answers or 47 threads saying the exact same thing? As for subjecting someone to ridicule by putting their post in a manure pile, that is totally against what helping is all about. While a somewhat harsh answer may be called for occasionally, thats a far cry from ridiculing someone for the entertainment of others.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
All very good points.

I suppose I'm just a pack rat by nature, but I agree with your views. Consolidating frivolous posts does help bring forward more useful posts, and such an archive of retired posts would be difficult to maintain.

Not all ideas are good ideas.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard