mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
D
Darkj Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
D
Ok, this is a little more complex than most suggestions, basically, right now, the way mirc is setup, it supports max 383 chars in the combobox for the topic in the channel central dialog. Where as, if you use the /topic command, you get a max of 483 characters.

Now I have modified my IRCd to allow for longer topic lengths, but infortunately, mirc is not equiped for that. Could this max length possibly get increased to about 500 chars next release?

Thanks

A
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
A
Doesn't the IRCd have a limit on the mount of DATA it can take from the clients ?

My guess is that it's the IRCd that limits it...

Look at this ... this is from my debug.log file when I use the /topic command.

-> = I send
<- = Server returns
Code:
-&gt; ---server---- TOPIC #???????? :iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
&lt;- :????!?????????@???????????????.telia.com TOPIC #???????? :iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

as you can see the iiii from the first one (the /topic command) is longer then the iiii from the server.

Servername, Channel and My nick/address has been blocked. Also note that this was a bahaumut

--------------------------------------------------
I really don't know anything.... I just fake it
D
Darkj Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
D
Yes the server does limit this, but as I said, I adjusted it, mirc doesn't handle long topics, I tried changing the ircd's TOPICLEN to 1500, and at max i can only get 483 with the /topic command, and 383 with the channel central combo box.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
imho mIRC should (if available) use the TOPICLEN 005 numeric token to determine how long the text may be in the editbox.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Quote:

RFC1459:

IRC messages are always lines of characters terminated with a CR-LF
(Carriage Return - Line Feed) pair, and these messages shall not
exceed 512 characters in length, counting all characters including
the trailing CR-LF. Thus, there are 510 characters maximum allowed
for the command and its parameters. There is no provision for
continuation message lines.

483 characters with /topic command can be explained by looking what server returns you when topic is changed:
:Nick!ident@host.com TOPIC #channel :topic
Lenght of ":YourNick!ident@host.com TOPIC #channel :" is 510 - 483 = 27 characters in your case?

But the channel central is definately a bug...

Last edited by theRat; 30/06/03 07:33 PM.

Code:
//if ( khaled isgod ) echo yes | else echo no

Link Copied to Clipboard