Print Thread
#32207 26/06/03 01:16 AM
T
Thray Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
T
A lot of people (at least me, so I'll assume theres a few people out there that have the same preference) like to have queries and notices appear in the active window. Unfortunately, mIRC logs these to the active window and not into a seperate file as it would if it were in a query.

This can be inconvenient when you talk with someone about something important and you later need to retrieve the conversation. You have to track down the conversation by looking in channel logs and whatnot. Its even worse when you switch channel windows midconversation so the conversation is spread out in multiple logs.

So, I want to request at least an option to log messages and notices to a seperate log file. I have a script-based workaround right now, but it isn't as good since it doesn't give the date, just a time stamp.
(Script at bottom of post)

Also, an option that, when selected, echoes the last <number> lines from a query logfile into a newly opening query window would be cool. The AIM/ICQ/MSN/Yahoo combination client Trillian has this in its message windows, which is where I got the idea. Its very handy when I forget a previous conversation and someone now wants to talk to me about it.

Finally, a window that you can load in mIRC that will organize your logs for you so you can look through them. Kind of like a branched listing of all your logs. Even better, an alias in mIRC that will search through your logs for a specific string (that would take forever, so.. I don't expect that or even want it all that much) or a popup in mIRC that will load the log for the active window.

Code:

on *:text:*:?:{
  if (($left($active,1)==#)&amp;&amp;(%mlog==1)) {
    if (!$query($nick)) {
      write $logdir $+ $mklogfn($nick) $timestamp &lt; $+ $nick $+ &gt; $1-
    }
  }
}
alias msg {
    if (!$query($1)) {
      write $logdir $+ $mklogfn($1) $timestamp &lt; $+ $me $+ &gt; $2-
    }
    msg $1-
  }
  else {
    msg $1-
  }
}

If you have different log settings than mine, then this script may make different logs. It will make a log that is in the format <Name>.<month>.log or something like that.

-------------
I am the self-appointed God of needlessly complex mIRCscript.
#32208 26/06/03 11:20 AM
O
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
O
These are great suggestions im my opinion i hope to see these in future version

If only women came with popup menus and online help.
#32209 26/06/03 07:53 PM
T
Thray Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
T
The log viewer apparently exists in some form.. Options: IRC>Logging 'View Logs' button. Be better if there were a more convenient way to get at it though.

-------------
I am the self-appointed God of needlessly complex mIRCscript.
#32210 26/06/03 08:00 PM
N
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
N
All the features you want are easily scriptable. Your code works fine for what you want, although you can use $asctime to retrieve the day and month instead of just $timestamp.
Also, your method of determining whether or not the active window is a channel or not is a little drawn-out.

For example.. your code had this:
Code:
on *:text:*:?:{  
    if (!$query($nick)) {      
      write $logdir $+ $mklogfn($nick) $timestamp &lt; $+ $nick $+ &gt; $1-    
    }  
  }
}

An easier way would be..
Code:
on *:text:*:*: {
  if (($active ischan)&amp;&amp;(%mlog==1) {
    if (!$query($nick)) {      
      write $logdir $+ $mklogfn($nick) $asctime(hh:nn:ss:tt mm dd yyyy) &lt; $+ $nick $+ &gt; $1-    
    }  
  }
}

As for the log search, I have coded a little alias to do that. I don't have it with me here, otherwise I would post it. It's fairly fast as it works using /filter, and the more search parameters you use, the faster it gets because there's less to look through. Anyways, you have some good suggestions. Enjoy!

Link Copied to Clipboard