Print Thread
C
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
C
irc:://irc.telstra.com/mirc,teens

Currently, the IRC protocol seems to support using /join #chan,#chan,#chan

mirc makes use of the comma seperated msg targets with /amsg, etc, so why not make mIRC support multiple channels in the irc links?

ATM it seems just to make you try to join #mirc. Also perhaps cahnge it so that /#channel is supported as well as /channel, as internet explorer passes everything correctly..
smirk

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I'm really not sure why Khaled went with not supporting the # prefix in irc:// urls. I know that Mozilla's IRC client listens to irc:/[/b]/server/[b]#channel, but mIRC doesn't seem to even receive it (as if IE strips it off?).

I'd like to see Khaled support the # character if it were present, and still default to # if one isn't specified. At least then there'd be some cross client compatibility.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I;d like to see that support as well, even <a href="irc://your.favorite.serv/chan1/chan2/chan3" target="_blank">irc://your.favorite.serv/chan1/chan2/chan3</a> laugh

-KingTomato
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Actually, it would probably be best supported as:

<a href="irc://irc.server.com/#chan1" target="_blank">irc://irc.server.com/#chan1</a>,#chan2,#chan3 [or]
<a href="irc://irc.server.com/#chan1%2c#chan2%2c#chan3" target="_blank">irc://irc.server.com/#chan1%2c#chan2%2c#chan3</a>

R
Babel fish
Babel fish
R
Quote:
I'm really not sure why Khaled went with not supporting the # prefix in irc:// urls. I know that Mozilla's IRC client listens to <a href="irc://server/#channel" target="_blank">irc://server/#channel</a>, but mIRC doesn't seem to even receive it (as if IE strips it off?).

That's actually noted in the IETF draft of the irc: URL scheme... try encoding pound sign (%23).

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Same issue with %23 instead of #.

At first when I realized mIRC ignored the # sign, I assumed it may have had something to do with how browsers treat # as an anchor reference and shouldn't be sent to the server, but to the client only. Reconsidering this, mIRC is just a client too, and HTTP urls should have no effect on IRC urls and what should be allowed.

- Raccoon

Link Copied to Clipboard