#31286 21/06/03 04:28 PM
G
GodGell Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
Hi Khaled! wink

i'm here again, now with a mouse suggestion. so. i'm using an A4Tech Optical GreatEye (model WOP-35) mouse, what haves 5 mouse buttons. the 4th&5th button (on the left and right side of the mouse), are great for setting to go back & forward for a browser. so, that would be great if i could change throught mirc windows with it.
example, i have 10 windows open, i'm on the 10th, and i click with the 4th(leftside) button, then it will be jumped to the 9th, then i click with the 5th, then it will jump back to the 10th ;D
here is a picture:

4th ------------------- ------------------- 5th

sorry for my bad english
watch out when you're in front of my scalar howitzer smile

Punks not dead!
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
4th and 5th buttons are non-standard so most mice which have them usually (read as: should) supply drivers/software to allow you to setup those buttons on a per-program basis. You should check any driver disks/CDs for software, and also the manufacturers web site.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
G
GodGell Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, reaaally, thanx!;) i set the 4&5th buttons in the mousesoftware to "Previous Document" and "Next Document", and it worx! wink thanx.

sorry for my bad english

Punks not dead!
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
On a side note, I don't see why Mice and Keyboards aren't categorized with other 'game controllers', especially now that so many companies are designing their own standards. (keyboard internet buttons, 4/5th mouse button, 2nd scroll wheel... etc)

Windows ought to recognize any input device, and allow the user to remap the inputs to emulate any other known device or system trigger. Eg, people have wanted to use their joystick as a mouse for years and years.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
N
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
N
Much of what your talking about is possible using DirectInput. Many games use the mouse as a controller. Im not sure how DI would handle additional non standard mouse buttons tho. The real problem is theres absolutely no restrictions. Theres nothing saying that logitech cant make a 35 button mouse if they wanted to. Theres no real method that windows could use to standardize mice. WM_#BUTTONDOWN maybe? I dont see any reason to even try. Windows already supports 3 button mice and wheel buttons. If you need any more control use the keyboard. smile

Have Fun smile
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
My point was the comming to a standard so all input devices can interact on the same level.

For instance, the list of triggers like "Previous/Next Document" could also include Mouse_(Left,Right,Center)(Click,Down,Up)... allowing any input device access to the mouse buttons, and visa versa. Mouse_XY_Analog is equivalent to a Joystick's Yoke, so why can't one assign Mouse_XY_Analog to their Joystick in Window's Control Panels?

I don't believe a driver has been, or can be, written to do this.

- Raccoon

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Yes.

But if you are using an OS such as Windows 2000 and higher, most mice with a 4th and 5th button have them mapped to Back and Forwards buttons when in a default installation without any drivers.

--------
mIRC - fun for all the family (except grandma and grandpa)
G
GodGell Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
for the last line: yes, i'm using windows xp, but the floppy of this mouse's software was fallen into water;) so i was cant install the software. with win's driver, the 4&5th buttons are really for back & forward in IE. wink
(now i downloaded the software)

so, yeah, it is optical, it haves 5 buttons, 2 scrolls. (for horizontal and vertical scrolling). this mouse rulz! wink

sorry for my bad english

Punks not dead!
G
GodGell Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G

sorry for my bad english

Punks not dead!
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Nothing beats the Logitech MX700! The MX700 was sculpted by God himself!

Just look at it, it's perfect in every way!

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
im happy with my standard cheap 2 buttoned mouse grin

new username: tidy_trax
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
My Micro$oft meese is better. :tongue:

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Logitech > !Logitech

-KingTomato
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I had an MS Intellimouse Explorer. After a year I found out Microsoft said it was defective, however they refused to replace it for me. So I decided, ok I'll go out and buy a new one, seeing as how I liked the mouse. Well 6 months later, I noticed that it too was having problems. It would freeze up my PC, it would "turn off" (the light would go off). Both of these problems MS recognized however again, they said they would not give me a new one. A few months later I noticed that when I would single click, the mous would recognize this as double click, or even more. Using a little click counter program I wrote, I noticed that at one point, clicking the mouse once resulted in 6 clicks. At that point I said bye-bye to MS and said hello to Logitech. Ok yea the MX700 cost a bit more ($80), but I've had it for about 5 months now and I haven't had a single problem.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
download your drivers from the manufacturer Here

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I'm perfectly happy with this little guy from Logitech...

I got him from BestBuy for $9.98 because his previous owner returned him for some unknown reason, and neglected to return the drivers CD, and also stole the AA battery that made a LED go blinky blink in the box for display. I just downloaded the drivers free from logitech and saved $20 (retailed for $30 at the time).

I personally hate large miceses that you have to rest your wrist on, which forces you to move your entire arm forward/back which requires too much effort. Maybe I just have a small hand or something, but this mouse is perfect.

You also can't go wrong with a Logitech First Mouse if you want one with balls.

- Raccoon

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Mine is almost the same..

Cep tth ebutton below the wheel is a "switch application" button. Very VERY handy >:P

-KingTomato
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Yea I have one of those on one of my PCs as well, works nicely, but the MX700 is still the king.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
I think I saw one of those at the electonics store out here...well it looks the same anyways, the price on it was $74 or something like that. Theres no way in hell i'm gonna shell out that amount for a mouse that can do practically the same things as a $20 mouse...or one of less value.

If thats the same that i'm thinking of and it isn't the actual price, then the one I saw was obviously way over priced....Like my philosophy goes, I like things fast cheap and easy...pick 2

T
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
T
I love my MX700. Mmmmmm.
Anyway, it might be cool to have options for mouse wheel in a custom window though. Like, instead of default scrolling you could make it.. umm..do something else. Like.. uhh... increase a little bar... right, I'm not describing my idea well, but hopefully someone gets the point.

-------------
I am the self-appointed God of needlessly complex mIRCscript.
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
ya all are crazy ..... i bought a laser mouse for 7 bucks ... with a wheel on it and 3 buttons ....... i aint spending no 80 bucks for a mouse when i can get one for 7 bucks thats working perfectly fine

D3m0nnet.com
T
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
T
I may be crazy, and now I'm poor, but I have a DAMN good mouse grin <- I never thought I'd use one of these.

-------------
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Think of it like this...buying a mouse that damn expensive is like buying a piece of bubblegum for $12 knowing that you can get bubblegum for 25 cents...I dont know man...LOL that dont make sense...

T
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
T
But its like buying designer bubble gum with.. umm.. two times as many buttons!

-------------
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
is that $7 one wireless? Does it have a rechargable battery? Does it have forward/back buttons? Cruise Control scroll buttons? An application switch button? I think not! If you want the best, you gotta pay for it.

Oh and btw, I did pay $15 for a pack of gum. No one sells Zebrastripe gum anymore! And I must say it was the greatest gum ever made! I wound up having to import a box of it (10 packs) for $150 from Hong Kong. But it was worth every bit of it. PS: if anyone here has ever had zebrastripe gum, you know what I'm talking about smile

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
AMEN!

Nothing beats the MX700.

*neophyte hug's his sexy MX700

If it could have my babies, it would!

--------
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
AMEN!

Nothing beats Zebrastripe gum.

*Raccoon hug's his sexy Zebra

If it could have my babies, they'd have stripes AND rings!

--------

T
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
T
I liked this kohii gomu stuff from Japan. It was like..crack.. in gum form.
Or.. caffeine in gum form. Its really the same though, isn't it? One stick though could make me shake. Mmm.

-------------
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
try Jolt gum.

G
GodGell Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
rofl.. wink good mice. hehe, a little descripition of my mouse:
Mouse dimension: 124.5(L) x 67.8 (W) x 39.5(H) mm
Mouse weight: 0.1kg
Container load: 19878 pcs/20', 39757 pcs/40'
EMI: FCC part 15, subpart B, class B, CE

5 programmable buttons
2 scrolls (for horizontal & vertical scroll)
optical moving
no tracking ball to clean
superfast & precise movement
works on almost all surfaces
very configurable with the iWheelWorks software

sorry for my bad english

Punks not dead!
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
hell no why would i ned a wireless mouse im sitting right infront of my pc ..... as for these extra buttons your speaking of ....... damn wtf for? 80 bucks for 2 extra buttons? ... actually one ..... cause my scroll wheel is clickable

D3m0nnet.com
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Copycat! :P

--------
T
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
T
I just find it convenient to not have wires all over the place.

-------------
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
You make it sound like most of your wires are in front of you....most people put the wires behind their pc and place their mouse where the wires don't get caught in something....

G
GodGell Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
yeah, clickable scroll;)
one of the scrolls is clickable, 2 standard button (left & right), and 2 on the mouse's left & right side. this mouse was 5000 forints (22.07 usd).

and the wireless thing. yeah. i think wireless mice is only for the "loooooook i have wireless mouseeeeeee!" texts wink and at home, when accidentally mouse falls down from the desk, (or desktop or what), the normal mouse's cable takes it back from falling to the floor and cracking, but wireless mice are falllllling and then cracking (these mice have more height because of the battery, so more faster falling and more bigger cracking) wink and if u are using it with a laptop, and e.g. u are using your laptop at a bigbig place where mucchh ppl, a robber is picking up your mouse and when you see it he is going away with your mouse.. and while you are yelling after it ("heeeeeeeey he stolen my mouseeeeeeee heeeeey!!" lame people are laughing "why dont you take your mouse into a cage?") the robber comes back and steals your laptop:D so i think wireless mice are not really good.. just for lame ppl.

sorry for my bad english

Punks not dead!
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
rofl there's no answer to that. laugh

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
the normal mouse's cable takes it back from falling to the floor and cracking, but wireless mice are falllllling and then cracking (these mice have more height because of the battery, so more faster falling and more bigger cracking)

Well tell that to my "wireless mouse" aka an MS intellimouse that fell off the desk, and the wire got ripped out of it from the fall. And as for the logitech mouse, it's fallen off the desk 3 times, hasn't broken (and btw Logitech has a lifetime guarantee, MS does not), and I also did some testing including dropping it from 15ft (on to carpet), and it still didn't break. No physical damage (cracks, etc), and no internal damage (still works fine).
Quote:
and if u are using it with a laptop, and e.g. u are using your laptop at a bigbig place where mucchh ppl, a robber is picking up your mouse and when you see it he is going away with your mouse.. and while you are yelling after it ("heeeeeeeey he stolen my mouseeeeeeee heeeeey!!" lame people are laughing "why dont you take your mouse into a cage?") the robber comes back and steals your laptop:D

Umm ? Why does using it with a laptop imply in a big place? I use my wireless mouse (bluetooth rules!) and my laptop while sitting on my deck in back of my house. Not only is "many people" an overstatement, "1 person" is an overstatement, seeing as how there isn't anyone in sight. And if I was using it in a crowded place (and I have), I've yet to have anyone steal my mouse. Why you ask? Because I don't put it on a bench and then walk away. It's either right next to me, or right on my knee. So if someone can steal the mouse off my knee without me noticing, I'm sure they could just as easily yank a wired mouse out of the back of the laptop as well.

Quote:
so i think wireless mice are not really good.. just for lame ppl.

That reminds me of a story, one about the telephone. About 6 months before the telephone was invented, people said it would be "stupid" and "useless" to be able to transmit voice over a wire. Well looking back, we can clearly see they were 100% wrong. Most people own one or more telephones, and the Internet as we know it wouldn't even exist had it not been for telephones. My point is, just because you don't see the use of a wireless mouse does not make it useless. I can name several uses. I use one for powerpoint presentations on a projector screen. It allows me to walk around the room (one of the rules to being a good rhetorician is never stay in the same place for too long) when giving a presentation rather than having to sit at the computer desk and not even be able to look at my audience. I use one on my laptop because an "eraser head" mouse is just annoying to me, hard to use, and I figured why should I bother having to plug a mouse into the back of my laptop each time I want to use it rather than just taking advantage of my laptop's builtin bluetooth transmitter and simply having the mouse near it makes it work better? And on my desktop I use a wireless mouse because, well not everyone has a monitor that is right next to the tower.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Take heed Wireless Lubbers, for your new wireless gadgets are running on an ever narrowing swath of spectrum. Soon your wireless meece will go mouse-sh[b][/b]it whenever someone comes within distance with their wireless device. It's already a major problem in office buildings, with wireless keyboards and mice having to be banned from use.

There is only a fixed amount of spectrum available on Earth. With the FCC trying to manage the cellular jam they're even trying to kill analog television just so they can sell more swath to cell and other digital content providers... at the expense of your portible/travel and remote location tv channels. (no more rabbit ear UHF/VHF) IMHO, most wireless devices are 'nifty gadgets' with no real purpose except to make money.

Tailed-mice are faster, dont have batteries to change/charge, and don't suffer from interference... ditto for all other things WIRE-FULL. Tailed-mice are also more accurate than wireless mice, which is important if you photoshop. Notice how a wireless mouse blinks instead of being always on... and when you move it steadily and consistantly, the mouse skips a beat every 8 seconds or so leaving you with a crappy line. (At least the display models I've played with at BestBuy and Gateway Country.)

- Raccoon

Last edited by Raccoon; 24/06/03 08:24 PM.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Ok so there was an answer. Unsurprisingly provided by codemastr. laugh

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Wireless mice blink? Hmm guess my MX700 is broken then, cause it doesn't blink at all. The LED dims when it isn't sensing movement, but my wired Intellimouse Explorer did the same thing so thats not a feature characteristic of wireless mice. Oh and btw, when I'm using photoshop (well GIMP, cause I'm cheap), I do like the real graphics designers, I put the mouse down and pull out my Wacom Intuos2 drawing tablet, it has 1000x more accuracy than any mouse on the market. Plus the features that a mouse simply can't offer such as pressure sensitivity and tilt recognition. Oh and btw, guess what? The Wacom tablet (which is considered one of the best, if not the best, tablet there is), uses a wireless pen.

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Not as accurate eh?

This is 10x more accurate than any other laser mouse I've ever mucked with.

That and it has a 4.7Megapixel/sec image processor, at 800dpi.

And once you've finidshed mousing, all you do is pop it onto the supplied charger, and it charges away (a full charge takes less than 3hours.) And most wireless devices may look like a nifty gadget, but if you've ever used one, I doubt you'd go back.

So, all in all, I think this mouse is rather accurate.

Granted, other wireless mice may not be.

But the MX700 am the SWEEEEEET!

--------
G
GodGell Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
hmmm... "mousing".. never ever heard this word.. but good i'll use it;)

hehhh grrr wink hmm i think my opinion is a little changed..
hehe;) so now i think a "half-tailed-mouse" would be the best laugh (hmm maybe i will send an email to a4tech), so.. a normal wireless mouse, with an abnormal charger. i mean you can use your mouse like a mobile phone.if his battery is getting low, you attach his tail into him, and the mouse is setting to charging mode, so it will mousing from the charger's energy, and the charger will charge the battery, too..
example, you are using your wireless mouse.. he is "yelling that he is hungry", so you attach up his tail. his energy is growing from the cheese you give him with his tail wink hehe ;D my english is too bad to explain this ;D
so i made a picture for this. i created it in 2 hours wink sometimes it looks like.. khm, another thing, but it's not wink
so, the picture.

sorry for my bad english

Punks not dead!
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You scare me sometimes. Don't get me wrong, it's a good idea, you're just strange smile

Btw, your English is just fine.

- Raccoon

G
GodGell Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
hmm, wink fine english? what does "scare" mean?;) hmm.. i'm strange.. why?;D hehe
maybe i'm i dunno. so i cant speak now:D hmm, do you see the pictures?;)

sorry for my bad english

Punks not dead!
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
example, you are using your wireless mouse.. he is "yelling that he is hungry", so you attach up his tail. his energy is growing from the cheese you give him with his tail wink hehe

Sorry, it's just funny. Don't change a thing. grin

- Raccoon

G
GodGell Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
cool smile

Last edited by ParaBrat; 26/06/03 03:12 AM.

sorry for my bad english

Punks not dead!
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
i feel the urge to post my mousey

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard