Page 1 of 2 1 2
#31205 20/06/03 04:44 PM
A
Amadeus Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
A
I think you guyz should make EDITOR with password cuz there are many many script rippers...scripter could JUST LOCK editor so noone could enter hes scripts....SORRY FOR LANGUAGE MISTAKES

Love is pain
#31206 20/06/03 04:47 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
no, no, no, no, and no!

#31207 20/06/03 05:08 PM
A
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
It wouldn't offer any real protection against editing/stealing the script code anyway, since they can just look at the .ini or .mrc file.

#31208 20/06/03 06:29 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
not only that..ppl will forget their password and well have tens of ppl on the forums "how do i get my password" .. no thnx, just --change the font or something. Most ppl that downlaod scripts are unknowledgable anyways.. Make it wingdings, and advertise "Sript encryption" heh

-KingTomato
#31209 20/06/03 07:05 PM
P
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
P
That would be 99% useless. Mainly because someone can open the script in any text editor. So there would be no point of even thinking about adding this.

I personally think mIRC Scripting should be a compiled language. If it was, that would mean the end of ripping as we know it. Not only that, but making mIRC Scripting a compiled language would increase the speed of script routines. So two good things come out of making mIRC Scripting a compiled langauge.

To answer the forthcoming 'security risk' replies, I just want to ask, if mIRC Scripting was a compiled langauage, why couldn't AntiVirus companies add virus definitions for mIRC scripts?

#31210 20/06/03 07:20 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Also how exactly should script sites check scripts?

Script has:
ctcp *:ctrl:*:{ $2- | halt}

But it is encrypted, so you submit it to a script site, and they see it does what the author says, so they add it. Well that little snippet there would allow anyone to execute commands on the user's machine without his/her knowledge. And since the script is encrypted, no one will be able to find out.

It's a horrible idea.

#31211 20/06/03 07:21 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
i personally think is should be just plain c. Have very general functions that must be requeired by the program like main or win is to C. Have a base glass that cannot be removed. From there, user can write programs and owould be much faster and again a compiled language. Make the program itself run off a dll.

For instance, you have the mirc's required class.

Code:
class mirc {
  public:
    char chan[];
    char message[];
    (any other crap)

//constructor
    mirc();
    int onText(char nick[], char address[], char message[]);
    int onJoin(char nick[], char address[]);
    // blah

private:
    int address(char address[], int mask = 1);
    int kick(char nick[], char chan[], char reason[] = "Bye");
    int ban(char nick[], char mask[], int delay = 0);
    //...more regular "aliases"
}

Viola.. I mean its possible now, but u have to call it all thru the regular events, then to the dll that you wish to use. Ahh well, only a dream >:D

-KingTomato
#31212 20/06/03 07:22 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
to add to that, even have the base mirc alias, then have it inherit the base..

class mirc : onJoin {
}

-KingTomato
#31213 20/06/03 07:33 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
*cough* thats C++ not C *cough* smile

#31214 20/06/03 08:03 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
ehh, so i was two chars off.. no biggeier, u get the general idea tho. I mean that would make life easier in my opinions too. Yes, you don't have all the ease of "free form" scripting, but would most likely run fast and cleaner. laugh

-KingTomato
#31215 20/06/03 08:10 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Well I still think mIRC as a compiled language is both a bad and stupid idea. Scripts are scripts programs are programs. Thats all there is to it.

#31216 20/06/03 08:18 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Its the ability to merge the two that makes it run--like business and pleasure >:D

-KingTomato
#31217 20/06/03 08:26 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Yup, and for mIRC the perfect balance is 100% scripting, 0% compiled.

#31218 20/06/03 08:33 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
DLL is compiled, so u can't say 0% >:D

-KingTomato
#31219 20/06/03 10:22 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
mIRC scripting is a newbie programming language. If you're feeling more comfortable with programing, don't change the language to suit you... but move onto a different language. If you must write C++, then write a DLL and run it. If you must write VB, then write a COM object and run it. I don't know of any restrictions that prevent you from executing and passing parameters to an external program.

Don't take scripting away from newbies just because you've graduated.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
#31220 21/06/03 08:10 AM
K
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
K
also with mIRC scripting being compiled, you couldn't make legitimate modifications to the script. Say for instance, something is very very broken on the script and you know how to fix it. Well, you can't.

Maybe if it compiled the scripts into temporary files when you start mIRC, /load a script, and close the mIRC editor, that would improve on speed. But that would be quite difficult to do, and mIRC scripting isn't THAT horribly slow, really. If you need some uber processing capability make a DLL for crying out loud smile

-Kitchen

#31221 21/06/03 08:40 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
mIRC scripting is a newbie programming language.

A highly inaccurate statement. It's easier for those that know it well and that is all. I know a few people that can code well in programming langauges that couldn't script in mIRC to save themselves. They have a natural talent at working with a development environment yet a task like making a bot in mIRC or even making anything but a very basic webpage is too hard. It's a matter of what you have had the chance to learn. It's no different to my trade. I find working as an electrician in an industrial environment easier than in a domestic environment, yet one could easily assume that because there is less involvement in a domestic environment then it's easier. It's not because different laws apply and while there's fewer circuits, no PLC Control, no hydraulics, no plant equipment and almost no control wiring you still need exposure to it to be able to do it quickly while maintaining quality.

Don't judge the book by it's cover. grin

#31222 21/06/03 10:07 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I didn't say it was easy for EVERYONE, I just said it's a newbie programming language. Yes, if you already have a pre-disposition for another programming language, your logic may be totally off phase from mIRC's logic. However, being a scripting language, most of the hard stuff is done for you and simply connecting the dots remains.

What I'm saying is that the suggestions in this and other recent threads, would replace the dots with their most basic elements and change the user's pencil into a particle gun. Yes, there would be more freedom and precision in coding, just as scientists have with test-tube babies... however, it's still easier to make a baby by simply f[b][/b]@&#ing. grin

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
#31223 22/06/03 07:32 PM
M
Babel fish
Babel fish
M
This is a terrible, terrible, terrible idea. You HAVE to be able to check the remotes no matter WHO wrote them or else you put your client, your computer, and everyone on your local network at risk to trojans.

Granted, I'm just commenting. But we're seeing more and more and more of these suggestions that, if implemented, would pose atrocious security risks to the computers that are running these scripts...

People joke about VBS being a "virus-builder script," but the truth is that both VBS and mIRC's scripts are already seriously vulnerable to these sorts of trojans, even without all of these other suggestions such as "give scripters acess to the windows registry and/or allow them to lock remote codes."

/remove, by itself, is one of the most potentially dangerous remote operations you could allow someone to use. When you start tacking on more and more methods of disguising this sorta stuff in mIRC, it becomes an even greater risk because you're practically asking hackers and other low-lives to try to exploit that stuff.

#31224 29/06/03 06:49 PM
Q
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
Q
if other languages can b compiled, and can b shipped as open source- y not making the mIRC scripting the same? so it will b shipped as an open source, or as a compiled language.

reviewers of script sites will not b able 2 tell if there r backdoors and other viruses like riviewers of tucows or download.com can't tell.
I agree that mIRC scripting language wil become the easiest virus builder language- but simplicity always cost danger.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard