Print Thread
Y
Yil Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
Y
/ban -uN nick
This command when executed as a halfop will ban the user and then fail to unban the user when the time to unban is reached. It obviously doesn't understand halfops... No error message is given about failing to unban is generated either.

-Yil

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
probably becuz the timer that unbans the user is works only if u are an op or maybe the timer is works but when it's triggered it checks first if u are an op
i think that in the irc protocol only ops can ban so the problem is in the server u are using

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I;ve never found a server where Hops cannot ban/unban... I would say it's a bug, and should have the ability to unban if your a Hop >:D

-KingTomato
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
i do
it's not a bug

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Well you're wrong. Think about it.
/ban -u10 somenick 3

I type that command while I'm +h. Why does it set the +b? Clearly to mIRC, +h users don't have access to +/-b, so why does it allow me to set the ban? And if it does allow me to set the ban, why wouldn't it allow me to unset the ban? It makes no sense. You can say it's not a bug if you want, you'd just be wrong.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
no, the SERVER allows u to set the ban
any1 can make a server (with sockets) that allow users that doesn't have level on the channel (regular users) to set a ban
so i think mirc checks if u're an op on the channel when the timer (of the -uSECS) is triggered, it's not a bug it's just the default level that can set bans in the mirc so u won't get an error that u are not an op when the mirc trying to remove the ban. there is a lot of server that doesn't allows HOPS to set a ban.

Last edited by ScatMan; 17/06/03 05:15 PM.
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Please name some of these servers? Because every server I know of that supports +h allows them to +/-b. So if you know of "many" servers, don't just say that, list them and then there is no argument because then I'll be proven wrong.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
there is such servers, i don't know if there is many but the server that i'm using doesn't support bans for HOPS i don't want to advertise the server here cuz it's a spam. and i'm not lying.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
there is a lot of server that doesn't allows HOPS to set a ban.

I would hardly call 1 "a lot" and secondly, it's not spam when you were asked to do it, but the fact that you are still refusing to do it makes me think you're making it up.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
ok, well i don't care what u think, i know that i'm right cuz i'm using this server.
khaled will decide if it should fixed or not.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
else just use

mode # +b banmask
.timer * 1 mode # -b banmask

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
Y
Yil Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
Y
Codemastr is thinking the way I am. Its clearly a bug. The command should either fail to ban in the first place with an error or it should attempt to ban AND unban and let the server reject your commands. It shouldn't do the first half and then fail to even attempt the second.

Perhaps a somewhat related issue. Ever try the /onotice and /omsg commands? They immediately fail saying your not an operator. I ASSUME this is a bug because according to the changelog they now do a /msg @#chan text which on the networks I use works for anyone, but I was giving mirc the benefit of the doubt and assuming they were using the least common denominator...

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Fine, if you don't want to post it "in the interest of spam prevention" then send it to me in a PM. If you refuse to do that, then I really don't care what you say, you're just lying.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
/omsg [#channel] <message>
This and the /onotice command sends the specified message to all channel ops on a channel. You must be a channel operator to use these commands. If the #channel isn't specified, then the current channel is used.

works fine for me on the networks i frequent

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
You have my permission to state the network within this context. How else could it be determined if this is mIRC or network related than to allow others to test it on the same network you are having the prob on?

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
Y
Yil Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
Y
I'm not sure I get the last point, but if its regarding /onotice and /omsg I'll try to clarify... The problem is that these commands are restricted to operators because originally operator status may have been required to use them. I'm not complaining that mirc fails to correctly determine operator status before allowing the command to proceed, BUT I am saying that this appears to be meaningless because when /onotice and /omsg were turned into synonyms for /msg @#channel or /notice @#channel it makes little sense to restrict them to operators when the underlying @#channel syntax doesn't have this restriction... So I believe mirc is too restrictive in this case and should attempt to issue the command and let the server reject it. Needless to say, I just use the @# syntax, but I thought I'd bring it to your attention...

I'm a zerolimit user if that makes a difference, although I believe the previous argument over networks was related to halfops having ban/unban ability and a challenge to present a network where this was NOT the case was made...

-Yil

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The fact that some servers may not allow a halfop to set a ban is completely irrelevant to this thread. I just tried the timed ban on a server that does allow both ban and unban, and I watched the @Raw window while doing it and it is clear to me that mIRC does not send the /mode -b when the time expires. I then sent the /mode -b manually with no problem. Therefore the issue is either a bug or a deliberate omission.

Link Copied to Clipboard