Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Fun_Tak Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
F
Is there a website that tells you how or are any of you people good at it or know how? I dont want it for warez, just so I have a personal server that me and my friends can log into. confused

F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
A server is not something cheap... depends on how big you want it anyway smile

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Yes, as funchatter said, they can be very expensive. Depending on the number of users, andything from a T1, to an OC line is neded for bandwidth (and that gets expensive). Not sure as for that area, but a t1 line is about 800/month here

-KingTomato
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
just so I have a personal server that me and my friends can log into.

Something tells me, even if he is the world's most popular person, he doesn't have 8000 friends and therefore he wouldn't need to lease his own line, a Linux shell account would suffice. You can purchase a shell account from a number of locations, I'd recommend www.lomag.net they charge $25/month, and they are in my opinion a very reliable company. As for the software I'd recommend UnrealIRCd (free) www.unrealircd.com although I'll admit that I am biased seeing as how I'm one of the authors of UnrealIRCd.

R
Babel fish
Babel fish
R
If it's just for a few friends you could get away with a broadband connection and (unless you want to alienate them) a *nix box that doesn't need rebooting every other day.

Have a look-see at IRCd Help for information on some of the more popular daemons and step-by-step tutorials.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Well using a broadband connection would be fast enough, but many broadband providers (cable, DSL and satellite) prohibit running servers. If you run servers you risk the possibility of having to pay fines, or having your ISP account terminated; if you want to run a server off of a broadband account, you should verify that you are allowed to first.

F
Fun_Tak Offline OP
OP Offline
F
My provider wont mad. They only get mad if I start running stuff like a warez server. They would notice if people are uploading from my computer all the time. They wont get mad about a small IRC server. All I would need is about 20-25 people. Nothing bigger. Only needs one channel. Is there a program that would do that

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Well one thing to note about running it on your PC, if you want people to be able to access the server 24 hours a day, that means your PC must be turned on, and connected to the internet 24hours a day.

F
Fun_Tak Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Not 24/7, just Ill turn it on before I tell my friends to log into the server.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Why not save yourself a lot of hassle and just register a channel?

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
F
Fun_Tak Offline OP
OP Offline
F
How do I register a channel?

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
If the network you chat on has services, type /chanserv help register - join a channel, and if no-one's in it, and it's not already registered, it's yours. smile

Last edited by Poppy; 03/06/03 08:45 PM.

F
Fun_Tak Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Whats the code I put in. Its making me mad by saying "YOu have to be a channel operator to register a channel" I am the op of the chan I want, how do I fix it?

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Are you using a registered nick? Some services commands are network specific - you'll be better off asking in one of the help channels on your network. It should direct you in the MOTD or on the network website as to which channel you should ask in. smile

F
Fun_Tak Offline OP
OP Offline
F
NM, Im dumb. Forgot to use the # before the name of the channel. Its #FunTak on DALnet

A
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
A
Ok i understand you wana make your own server...there are many replys to you that question..but i have one question to you: why do you need server for?i think you must run it ages to make it sucha popular llike dalnet...or you want to be admin for a few days?believe , you should just chat in some server, but still if you make server pm me and ill join:P

Love is pain
F
Fun_Tak Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Did u read the thread? I didnt make a server, just a chan.

I
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
I
unreal IRCd or webmaster.com

Get into the Flamez
I
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
I
h, ya well i ue a small server called Beware IRCD that i run o my computer. I use it to test scripts while offline. Services arent setup, but its ok, i only needed a memoserv, and i scripted my own fake 'memoserv'.

Anyways, BewareIRCD is easier to set up than mIRC, so try and find it. Just do a search on google or <insert name of crappy search engine here>

M
Babel fish
Babel fish
M
How webmaster manages to stay IN BUSINESS at its prices is beyond me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard