Print Thread
#2754 20/12/02 05:43 PM
P
plop Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
P
isn't it illegal to make "own version" from mIRC and say that you have maked it all by yourself ? check www.firc.tk because I think it's illegal to say "copyright firc 2002" if firc is just translated (very, very poorly) to finnish without asking any permission... #firc.fi @ quakenet is their irc channel... If you could understand finnish, you notice that firc is just a poor "translation" from mIRC. I can't speak English very well, but check www.firc.tk and download firc, and then look around for readme or license or something...

#2755 20/12/02 10:25 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Yes, it's illegal.

Code:
//if ( khaled isgod ) echo yes | else echo no
#2756 21/12/02 01:18 PM
G
Babel fish
Babel fish
G
I don't see anything illegal about it. The guy has made a script and says it is copyrighted.. is that illegal i don't think so.
And Khaled has put .dll support into mIRC, with no clear guidelines as to what we can or cant do with it. The guy has changed some menu text into his native language. So what? We are presuming it's a DLL that's done it.. Maybe it's his OS that interprets it?

And if not, Just go to mircscripts.org or scriptaz and check out all the .DLL that modify menus etc. Im sure other scripts like paIRC, aIRC , etc, all modified mIRC with .DLL's and had (c) on there website. To single out this one script because it is'nt english, and isnt as popular, that isn't really fair. Let's start waving the dirty end of the stick at the people who clearly break the license agreement by distributing modified/hexed executables.

#2757 21/12/02 01:34 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
I agree. None of the 'full' scripts that work with mIRC actually have a mirc.exe distributed with them. Examples are Peace and Protection, and Bitch-X (ack!) for mIRC. If they did, that would be breaching copyright.

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
#2758 21/12/02 04:02 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Firc's mirc.exe(firc.exe) is modified/hexed/... how ever you want to say it.

Code:
//if ( khaled isgod ) echo yes | else echo no
#2759 21/12/02 05:33 PM
M
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
M
I strongly suggest to understand the term Copyright prior discussing it any further.
  • If you don't like the copyright message - which is a legal right by the author of a software product - remove that software product from your computer.
    For instance Pirch (and others) don't have a mIRC copyright - use that client instead.
  • Any modification of an original program without permission by the author is a criminal act.
  • If you are not willing to respect the authors work - stop using mIRC - or - much better - write your own client - once you are done I am sure - besides learning to write such a complex program you might have learned to respect the authors work.

A personal note:
This permanent discussion about Khaled Mardam-Bey's copyright message makes me sick!
My 2 cents - but I fear this won't end this debate frown

DALnet: #HelpDesk, #mIRC, #MISHScript - Undernet: #mIRC, #mIRC-Scripts

Link Copied to Clipboard