mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
F
flubpy Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
F
You are infected with an onjoin spam virus - remove it using an up-to-date antivirus.
-
Closing Link: flubpy by Boopers.OR.US.GamesNET.net (K-lined)

running my 3rd anti-virus now...cant find it.

NeX Offline
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
Maybe it isn't a virus but a trojan ! And he is in the windows register

__NeX¯¯¯ smirk
W
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
W
You should get a better scanner.

-watcher
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
It is almost certainly a trojan. Go here and run a free online virus scan, which will probably work better than Norton or MacAfee (or whatever you're using). You should then uninstall mIRC and then do a clean re-install. Be wary of clicking on links that are spammed to you on IRC. Even if it's from someone you know, they could be infected and not realise it. Go here for more links to security and virii information, and here for more information on trojans. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Poppy; 20/12/02 04:47 PM.

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Personally I think the others might be jumping the gun a bit here.

A simple reason for getting that message and also not being able to find the virus is that it's simply a mIRC script with an on JOIN event that's causing the trouble. If that's what it is then simply typing /!remote off is a temporary solution until you can find precisely what script file is causing the problem. If you know any scripters I'd recommend having them take a look at your remote files, or if you know scripting take a look yourelf. Otherwise I'd recommend deleting your script files. Don't forget to turn your remotes back on again once you're sure the script is fixed/removed (/!remote on).

Obviously it's possible that it IS really a virus/trojan. But the chances are any good virus scanner would have detected it.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
K
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
K
You don't say which virus scanners you tried running, but I'll agree with Starbuck here.
You simply might be getting caught with an impropper user name for that server. There are several possibilities here. If you've tried reliable virus scanners, and you've turned your remotes off, try connecting to a different server. See if you still receive the message.

NEVER EVER EVER go into your Windows registry unless you truly KNOW what you're doing. It is just VERY bad advice to tell anyone to root around in the registry.

F
flubpy Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
F
ok, went to moosoft, did their anti-virus thing...all it found was the kazaa spyware...it didn't find this virus or whatever...did a clean instal of mirc...still getting it.

any other suggestions?

F
flubpy Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
F
one more thing...heres a message i get when i try to connect:

You are infected with an onjoin spam virus - remove it using an up-to-date antivirus.
-
Closing Link: fubpy by Abyss.TX.US.GamesNET.net (K-lined)

what does the K-lined mean?

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
A k-line is a line in the ircd configuration file that stops people with a certain [email]user@host[/email] combination connecting.

D
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
D

ALT + R

Check your remote scripts. If you see omething like this

on 1:JOIN:#:/notice $nick Visit www.mysite.com

try put # before on 1:
Then try connect.

--
http://www.globirc.net
irc.globirc.net