Print Thread
#2711 20/12/02 02:00 PM
B
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
B
Hi Eveybody

I am really struggling to find a solution to a rather knotty problem I have. I was wondering whether you guys might be able to find the time to help a total IRC newbie?

I started off on Klaatus website as it sets out how to set up mIRC on a network. However, after initially reading some of the stuff contained therein, it lost me sad to say..

Please allow me to explain my dilemma.

I have just started running mIRc as a newbie to the whole IRC thing on my home network after having spent years on various other P2P networks. Whilst I am able to chat and receive files over IRC, I cannot send, and I have spent the last four days trying to find a solution to the problem to no avail! (Much wailing and gnashing of teeth!) frown

My setup is as follows:

I have a Bband cable connection running into a Server PC on which I run Win2K. This serves to a small network of 2 other PCs, one of which I use mIRC on (unsuccessfully!) via a 4 way 10 base hub. The server PC runs Zone Alarm Pro to ensure security on my permanent connection and to secure my network.

The Client PC runs WinME and now has a static IP address as per Klaatus advice. As I mentioned above, I am able to chat and recv but not to send/share any files on this PC via mIRC.

My peers on the IRC channel I subscribe to have all tried to help but again no result. I have to admit, I do not understand anything about Port management so unfortunately Klaatu Website whilst encouraging, lost me after a while when it started to get technical.

I wonder if you guys might be able to help me out with some idiot-proof instructions,( and I mean real Janet and John stuff!) in setting up my system to run mIRC through a firewall to my client PC, if it is possible.

I have struggled to set up mIRC over the last four days, and have now reached the point where I am beginning to become despondent. It looks like it is an excellent concept, but only if I can get it to work!

You are my last hope with this proggy. If you can't get the thing to work, it is unlikely that anyone can! That being the case, I'll give it up as a bad job!

In anticipation and desperation

Laters

Blagmeister
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:
I have just started running mIRc as a newbie to the whole IRC thing on my home network after having spent years on various other P2P networks

Well, being unable to send is annoying, however from that line I just quoted you clearly misunderstand the purpose of mIRC and IRC.

IRC is not a P2P network, mIRC is not designed to transfer large files. Ask anyone who knows about protocols or filesharing and they will tell you that if you want to send large amounts of files/data DCC (mIRC's method of filesending) is a horrible and inefficient way to go about it. If you're only intention on IRC is to share files, I'd recommend sticking to 'proper' filesharing programs using true P2P networks.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
B
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
B
Thank you for being so helpful. (sic!)

Your assumption however that I intend on using IRC to swap large fuiles is erroneous. Why would I do that when I have a perfectly adequate p2p proggy to do that?

I wish to use IRC for what it was intended for - chat, with the occasional transfer of data files. At the moment however, the program is only partially functional. It's like having a V8 with only 4 cylinders working. Perhaps rather than looking to find fault with my logic, you might consider actually offering a solution to the problem, as I would if you had visited our forum as a newbie P2P'er......

Laters

Blagmeister
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Does Win2K have it's own firewall like XP? If that's not the problem, try looking at this page and this thread.

Last edited by Poppy; 20/12/02 09:27 PM.

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
I wasn't trying to find a fault with your logic, I was giving perfectly legitimate help.

In your post you made very little mention of chatting, and, in the line I quoted before indicated that you thought IRC was a P2P network/protocol. I was simply clearing up that notion so that if it was indeed the case you could go back to the actual filesharing programs instead of wasting time and energy on something which would turn out to disappoint.

As it happens I don't know much about solving issues with DCC, it's never caused me any problems when I've used it. The only suggestion I can give you is to search back through the pages here already (although there aren't many since the server went down) and look at the problems/solutions already given - assuming you haven't already done so.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
K
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
K
More than likely your problem is Zone Alarm with no forwarded ports through your router. Consider reading through your documents with Zone alarm and router. You don't specify your router, but here is an example of what needs to be done with a LinkSys router

I also would agree your 1st post keys on file sending wink with an emphasis on P2P.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
just as a lil addition to whats been said: when you can get but not send, it usually means either something is blocking the ports mIRC needs (firewall/router/etc) or mIRC isnt getting the correct ip (as in the external one, not your local network one).

Since you are on cable, if all else fails, check out this post for a lil tip that has helped some cable users (altho the prob is most likely what Karen said): Go Here

Last edited by Karen; 26/12/02 03:42 PM.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
B
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
B
Thank you all for your kind advice, and foir pointing me towards those other threads with info on. Win 2K has no built-in firewall like XP so hence the zone-alarm (The firewall in XP is reputedly not very efficient and also allows windows to "phone home"!)

I agree with you that it must be something do to with forwarding ports but I have absolutely no idea where to begin to do that. I have had a read of quite a lot of the threads here on the forum but to be honest, I didn't understadn a lot of them. I'll have another look through and post back any progress. In the meantime, thanks again for all your help guys - it is appreciated. I'm on another forum for the p2p network I subscribe to and spend a lot of my day giving help and advice to others so a big heads up to you all for the assistance. grin

Laters

Blagmeister
A
Babel fish
Babel fish
A
What Karen has stated is most likely true... Your firewall must be setup to allow incoming ports to come through. The problem is, unless someone happens to have that same software package, we can't give you foolproof answers on how to do it.

You might check the official mIRC DCC information site for some other help as well.

Were you able to run P2P programs with your current setup? If so... stick with those, it'll be a heck of a lot easier.

Link Copied to Clipboard