mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Jigsy Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
I don't know if this a new feature of a bug, but either way it's incredibly annoying.

I've only recently got around to updating to 7.72 from 7.66 due to forgetting to update on the rare occasions I restarted mIRC, but I've noticed that somewhere between that gap there was a change which now causes channels that are +i* to close if I'm unable to rejoin them on reconnect.

I can't see anything in the versions.txt which would account for this.

I did see...

Code
34.Added "Keep channels open on part" option to Options/IRC dialog.
   If you part a channel and its window is kept open, it will not
   be rejoined on connect.

But even checking that didn't solve the situation.

*and maybe +k, etc. as well, but unsure of those.

What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us?
Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I had a somewhat similar, likely related experience a week or so ago: I got disconnected from a server; mIRC reconnected, but before it managed to rejoin the channels I was on, the server was shut down entirely and so I was disconnected again. To be clear, I do not think there would have been any reason mIRC couldn't have rejoined those channels at that time (no +i or so)--the disconnect simply happened first. In any case, at that point, mIRC ended up closing the channel windows altogether. That had never happened to me before. FWIW, I have "Keep channels open on kick/disconnect" checked and ".. on part" unchecked.

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
Jigsy Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
I tried this out on a localhost server with a sockpuppet in a channel.

+k didn't seem to do anything when I tried that (even after /opmode changing the key after kicking myself), but doing +l 1 did close window when I was unable to rejoin.

*edit*

Further test.

+b = window remained open
+r = closed the window
+O = window remained open, but this is most likely due to mIRC not understanding the concept of oper only channels (raw mismatch, etc.)

I'm also assuming that +k keeps the window open after trying it again.

Last edited by Jigsy; 15/12/22 12:31 PM.

What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us?
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I've noticed this several months ago, but couldn't figure out what was triggering it. Turns out that it is triggered as Jigsy reports, where 'unable to join' is causing the window to close.

It had been happening intermittently, and I assumed that somehow the channel window was closed due to some kind of $network mis-match during ON CONNECT. But I see now that in my case, it's triggered by a bug in the older Unreal ircd which doesn't allow me to join a +R channel even though I'm identified to nickserv. In this example I identify to nickserv via SASL EXTERNAL, but because maroon2 is not linked to the maroon account, it's not letting me join the +R channel, but that is causing mIRC to close the #channel window, which hadn't been happening in older versions.

[10:45:03] Welcome to the SwiftIRC IRC Network maroon2!userid@my.ipv4.address
[10:45:03] * maroon2 sets mode: +ixz
[10:45:03] staff.mircscripts.info is now your displayed host
[10:45:05] -HostServ- Your vhost of staff.mircscripts.info is now activated.
[10:45:05] -NickServ- SSL certificate fingerprint accepted, you are now identified to maroon.
* Skipping autojoin of channels...
[10:45:03] * maroon2 [abcdefghij@staff.mircscripts.info] is on IRC
[10:45:23] #martoon unable to join channel (not using registered nick)

Note:

1. The timestamp backtracks because the server-time setting keeps sending the @time= tag even if I've done "/cap req -server-time".

2. The 20 sec gap between connecting and trying to join the +R channel appears to be caused by having "/autojoin -s" in perform-on-connect, even though I didn't use the -dN switch. If I disable perform-on-connect, everything behaves the same way except there's no longer a 20 sec delay before failing to join the +R channel closes the channel window.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for your bug report. The item 34 change is indeed the reason for this.

In previous versions, the decision of when to close a non-joined channel window was applied in contexts that had been added over many years. The item 34 change tried to limit and standardize this to the IRC options keep channels open settings.

These settings are actually applied in fifteen different numeric events relating to issues with trying to join channels.

I am going to change this in the next beta so that if you have either of the IRC Options keep channel opens settings enabled, non-joined channels will not be closed in these numeric events.

This should cover just about everyone who wants non-joined channel windows to stay open forever.

Link Copied to Clipboard