mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
S
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
S
So somehow my installation got all messed up and I had to reinstall. After I did and reset some settings (I've been a user of mIRC for 20 years or so) now if I right click a nickname or in anything the system beep happens and... NOTHING happens. How can I get right clicking to do things like bring up a menu for Whois and a bunch of things. It seems to have been deleted or something?

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
You need to check if right-click menu scripts are installed in your client. To do this, press the key combination "ALT+P" to open the editor and see what is there.
If your right-click menu scripts were reset and are missing, but are still in the client root folder with the name "popups.ini", then you can load them back via -> "File/Load".

If you want to create new right-click menus, then here is a description of how to do it correctly -> https://www.mirc.com/help/html/index.html?popups.html or https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/mirc/identifiers/$menu

Example for tab "Popups => View/Nick List":
Code
Info 
.Whois: /whois $$1 $$1
-

Example for tab "Remote":
Code
menu nicklist {
  Whois: /whois $$1 $$1
}

🌐 http://forum.epicnet.ru 📜 irc.epicnet.ru 6667 #Code | mIRC scripts, help, discuss, examples
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The right-click menu for channel, status window, nicklist, etc - is located in a file named popups.ini, though you can also have additional popups added to it through using the "menu" keyword. You have probably done something to either delete your popups.ini or have mirc looking in the wrong place for it. The commands I will give can be pasted into any editbox.

This is the folder where mirc.ini is located:
//echo -a $mircini is in folder $mircdir

This command looks for popups.ini either within the folder where mirc.ini is located, or in a subfolder beneath it:

//noop $findfile($mircdir,popups.ini,0,echo -a $1- size: $file($1-).size)

If you see a file whose size is at least 2kb, that's probably a good copy. If you have a file that's size zero, sorry.
Now to look at mirc.ini to see where it thinks to look for popups:

//var %i 1 | while ($ini($mircini,pfiles,%i)) { echo -a $v1 = $readini($mircini,pfiles,$v1) | inc %i }

There should be 5 lines n0 thru n4, because there are 5 different kinds of popups. They are usually pointing at the same place, but that's not required - though if they do not all point at the same file, it's often because the user did something wrong. If it shows a path that does not begin with c:\path or \path, it's a relative path that's beneath the folder where mirc.ini is located. For example, if mirc.ini is inside c:\mirc\ and the above command showed scripts\popups.ini, then it's looking for c:\mirc\scripts\popups.ini

Depending on what you want to do, you should either change mirc.ini to look at the correct location, or copy popups.ini into the location where mirc.ini is looking. In either case, you should probably *not* point mirc.ini to look in the 'defaults' folder, and you *should* make a copy of popups.ini in case you mess things up.

(A) moving popups.ini to where mirc is looking:

You can have mirc use the /copy command to copy popups.ini from/to different folders, but you may prefer to have windows file manager do it. You can use the following command to open a file manager window pointing at the folder where mirc.ini is located. You can then navigate to find the folder where popups.ini is located, then "copy" it, then navigate to the folder where mirc is looking for popups.ini and 'paste' it there:

//run $mircdir

(B) making mirc.ini look to where popups.ini is located.

If you're comfortable doing it, you can issue /commands to point mirc.ini at the location where the 5 popups are located. If the earlier command showed that all 5 popups are looking at the same scripts\popups.ini location, you can do:

/load -ps scripts\popups.ini
/load -pc scripts\popups.ini
/load -pq scripts\popups.ini
/load -pn scripts\popups.ini
/load -pm scripts\popups.ini

OR if you're more comfortable using the menus, open the Alt+P editor. It will probably appear blank, since none of the popups are working. Click on the "view" menu you see in that window, and you'll see 5 entries. You'd need to repeat this action for all 5 types of popups. For each of the 5 'views', you'd need to use the popups editor's "file" menu to click on "load", then navigate to find popups.ini, then click on it, then on "OK".

---

If you cannot find your popups.ini or it has become trashed, you can download a fresh copy of it, then copy it to where mirc.ini is looking for it.

goto -> https://mircscripts.net/?page=home
then use the "support" menu and click on the item for popups, which will download the default popups.ini into whatever is your browser's download folder.

S
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
S
Bingo! Thanks! All of the above got me back up. Thanks!

Link Copied to Clipboard