mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Epic Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
For a long time there was an idea to create in the mIRC client a analogous panel that in all would duplicate the "ToolBar", only she should be at the bottom above the "EditBox" to accommodate additional buttons linked associated with text input processing functions. This can be various text stylization, font and color selection, ready-made commands for quick input, a pop-up window for choosing emoticons, sending an image, and whatever the client user wants to add there. Unlike the buttons on the top panel, this add-on would be more convenient to use due to its proximity to text input and it would be more logical to place it's all there.

I would call this panel "EditBar" and accordingly, all commands to control this panel must duplicate commands for "ToolBar".
It should also be possible to hide and show this panel, change color or put an image as a background, depending on the preference of the client user.

/editbar -aidmsxkNnNzNebwhyNurctplorf[sld] [N] <name/N> <tooltip> <picfile|@> [x y w h] [/alias] [popfile|@]

/echo -a $editbar(name/N).prop

This is an example of a concept of my idea (Can add the ability to resize in height, so that to make the panel narrow enough):

    [Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

It would be great if Khaled implemented this officially in the mIRC client settings. What do you say, friends?

🌐 http://forum.epicnet.ru 📜 irc.epicnet.ru 6667 #Code | mIRC scripts, help, discuss, examples
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I'm afraid there just isn't much in the way of text formatting that can be done on IRC. Sure, you've got bold, underline, italic, reverse and colors, but truth be told, the fewer people who know how to perform this formatting the better. (Formatted text is HIGHLY DISCOURAGED and will get you banned from a channel 9 times out of 10. We don't need to lead newbies down a dark tear-soaked path of disappointment and sorrow.)

I can't see anyone actually getting much use out of this added consumption of screen real estate with an always-visible docked toolbar. Just remember the hotkeys. Ctrl+B, Ctrl+U, Ctrl+I, Ctrl+R, Ctrl+K (and Ctrl+O for clear format).

If you need a toolbar, you can script one that pops up and floats on screen, momentarily, until you remember the hotkeys again and can dismiss the floating toolbar.

Last edited by Raccoon; 16/11/20 07:11 PM.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
Epic Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
Regarding this idea, it's like an add-on, which by default can be without buttons at all, and the panel can be hidden until someone wants to enable it and fix their buttons there to expand the functionality. And I am interested in a specifically docked panel so that it is in the same place when the client's main window is moved, which is difficult to achieve in the case of a separate popup. The "ToolBar" also does not hide anywhere and does not bother anyone. In addition, now almost all homes have large monitors and have a resolution of at least 1920x1080px. I don't think this panel will take up much space.

The essence of the idea is not only to add the standard text styling functions there, but maybe someone will have their own ideas of what to implement on this button bar. For example, it can be sending images via sockets, DCC, or a pop-up window for choosing emoticons, or something else that would be more convenient to place there exactly in this place. Experienced scripters will find exactly what to do in this panel.

In addition, some users, for one reason or another, find it inconvenient or difficult to memorize and type numerous commands, and not everyone is comfortable calling something through hotkeys if it is possible to use ready-made options, simply by making a convenient button, and do everything in one click.

In the end eventually, unfortunately, a conservative will never understand an innovator. I am for the freedom of expression when creating a message in your own style. This gives people a sea of joy and with colorful butterflies in their hearts. But if some channel has very evil admins and strict restrictions on the manifestation of their style in messages, then the user always has a choice to leave this channel and go to a place where there is more freedom to show your individualism. In any case, what IRC allows cannot be prohibited. This is already a problem for those who impose such restrictions. But if this is very annoying, then you can always personally disable the reception of all style codes in messages from users for yourself.

The personal preferences of channel administrators and their mood should in no way affect the advanced functionality and development of the mIRC client, and vice versa.

🌐 http://forum.epicnet.ru 📜 irc.epicnet.ru 6667 #Code | mIRC scripts, help, discuss, examples
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Suggestions like this have popped up for years and they have never been implemented, nor should they be. mIRC's interface is clean, IRC is a simple text-based medium. Forcing your stylistic preferences on others is an annoyance, and a mishmash of such styles for every user is a design nightmare that should stay in the 90s.

Epic Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
As far as I understand, everyone is satisfied with the "ToolBar" and does not cause annoyance, nor does his style. In addition, there is always the option to disable or re-enable this panel. I'm offer the same here as an addition. This can be turned off with one click, just like everything else. If we are talking specifically about the icons used in my example, then this was just an example from Photoshop, and anyone can use those icons that suit the mood and individual design of his client. In the end, minimalism, as I said before, will not go anywhere and everyone can use the style that suits him best. It is about customizable innovative features for the customer so as not to get stuck in the 90s. It's time for a change.

The whole point is so that such features are present in the client, but did not affect the standard default style out of the box. The main thing is so that they allow each user to create a setting for themselves, based on their preferences in design and functionality. If someone wants to use such a panel, he can enable it on and attach buttons to it with their own functions. Others will be able to disable this panel and use the default style. Everything is simple, and I see no problem for this to have a right to exist.

Epic Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
I created specifically for demonstration script, to show how the "EditBar" panel will look like cool

And recorded a Video -> so that show in mode online how this panel works: http://epicnet.ru/video/mIRC_EditBar_demo.webm

But one thing business to create it all with complex script construction structure having extensive experience in writing mIRC scripts, and another, if this will already be built into the client as an analogue of "ToolBar".

The presence of such a panel by default will be much more convenient for everyone who does not know how to write complex scripts, but would like to expand the functionality of their client by placing the necessary buttons on the bottom panel.

And then anyone can Enable or Disable this panel through the menu or by entering the command: /editbar <on|off>

Link Copied to Clipboard