mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
D
Dayvid Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
D
Scripting newbie here. I know /me isn't long but I'm having trouble with my hands, and it's a pain during rp.

Any suggestions on how to be able to create an alias work around? I'd like to be able to use F1 to basically type /me, and let me type my text, or swap my text color to that of my /me, and swap back after hitting return. I'm stuck. I've looked into a number of different approaches, but no luck so far. I did find one that gave me a dialogue box to type in, but it's small and I can't glance back and see more than half a sentence. Any suggestions on the right approach to take would be great. Any code suggestions would be much appreciated. It seems much simpler than all the time I've researched so far! smile

Thanks

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
How about this. If the active window is a channel or query window, and the editbox isn't empty, it does "/me contents" then does the equivalent of pressing the enter key. This also has the advantage of putting that into the history so you can repeat it with up-arrow. If you don't want it in the history, you can change the command to just "/me $v1".

Note that this replaces the normal opening of the helpfile using the F1, so you can make an alias to do that from control+F1 like: cF1 /help

If this alias is in the aliases tab instead of the remote tab, then remove the beginning "alias" keyword.

Code
alias F1 { if (($window($active).type isin channel query) && ($editbox($active) != $null)) editbox -n $active /me $v1 }

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Question for Dayvid, is this where you intend to type a long succession of /me emotes, and so it's repetitively tedious?

If so, you can try this alias. I use something similar for successive /notices and /onotices, that I'll include for extra examples.

Code
/alias /em { me $$1- | editbox -ap /em }

/alias /no { notice $1 $$2- | editbox -ap /no $1 } 
/alias /on { notice @ $+ $$chan [@] $$1- | editbox -ap /on }

After you've added the first alias, you can type the command /em followed by your normal descriptive '/me' text. After hitting Enter, the /em will appear again waiting for you to type more emotes. If you hit Enter without typing an emote, it will just go away and clear the editbox. (Scripting explained: This magical behavior is due to the extra dollar-sign '$' calling $1-, '$$1-' which causes the alias to abort if no text was typed, thus preventing the /editbox command from populating the editbox again.)

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
D
Dayvid Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Great, thanks! I can't wait to try it. I still haven't figured out multiline so well, when to indent and break. Do you have that? I'll work on it.

Thanks again

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Can you clarify what you mean? If you're wanting to have the output contain more than 1 separate message, this alias assumes you're wanting all the text to be sent as 1 message. If you mean about formatting scripts, the scripts editor puts the indent there for you. The way I learned scripting was to look at other scripts to see how they work. If I understood things correctly, then I can make changes to the script, and if the behavior isn't what I expect, then I've not understood things correctly.

Have a look at this website https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/mirc/commands/me where there's a page for each /command and each $identifier plus other pages. Most of these pages have examples of ways the item can be used.

Also, at a scripts repository like https://mircscripts.net/?page=home you can find a wide variety of scripts, many of which are simple enough to follow along as a learning tool. You can also search this forum by searching for an appropriate keyword, though some terms will deluge you with too many results.

As with every programming language, many things can be done multiple ways, so the choices are sometimes made in an attempt to choose the fastest way, or simply from the scriptor's preference. For example, here are 2 different ways to do the same thing:

var %variable value
or
%variable = value

Some scriptors like to use the 2nd method, but I prefer the 1st method because I think it's easier to read. It also lets me see the intent of creating something as a local variable vs as a global.

D
Dayvid Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Pretty much. I don't know how to break up the line into the proper format. But I'll look at the links.

Thanks

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
I agree that everyone uses their own methods and knowledge of how best to write scripting code for the mIRC client.
Better yet, exchange experiences regularly and practice constantly to improve your skills. cool
Here is my version of the code. I wrote a script specially for you that you might find useful to make this command easier to use.

The dialog box will open as soon as you press the "F9" button. (You can change this to a more convenient button in the alias name).
The script can count the number of typed characters in the text, allows you to choose the color and type of message. If you need to change or add anything to this script, please notify.

    [Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

This code must be inserted into the script editor. To do this, press the key combination "ALT+R":
Code
#####################################################################
#   Name: MeMessage v1.0
#   Description: Dialog box for managing and sending "/ME" messages.
#   Author: Epic
#   Email: epicnet@mail.ru
#   Site: http://epicnet.ru

alias F9 {
  if (!$dialog(me)) {
    unset %me_chars %me_mess | .dialog -mp me me | .dialog -r me
    me_colors me 5 | if (%me_colors) .did -c me 5 %me_colors
    me_select me 6 | if (%me_select) .did -c me 6 %me_select | else .did -c me 6 1
  }
  else .dialog -x me
}
dialog me {
  title "MeMessage"
  size -1 -1 300 235
  option pixels
  edit "", 1, 10 10 280 130, multi autovs, limit 900
  text "Chars:", 2, 40 155 30 20, nowrap
  edit "0", 3, 77 152 30 21, read rich right, limit 4
  text "Colors:", 4, 135 155 40 20, nowrap
  combo 5, 175 151 83 20, drop
  combo 6, 40 191 65 20, drop
  button "Send message ➤", 10, 115 190 145 23
}
on *:DIALOG:me:edit:1: unset %me_chars | var %q 1 | while (%q <= $did($dname,$did).lines) { %me_chars = $calc(%me_chars + $did($dname,$did,%q).len) | inc %q } | .did -o $dname 3 1 %me_chars
on *:DIALOG:me:sclick:5: %me_colors = $did($dname,$did).sel
on *:DIALOG:me:sclick:6: %me_select = $did($dname,$did).sel
alias -l me_colors { .did -a $1 $2 white [00] | .did -a $1 $2 black [01] | .did -a $1 $2 d.blue [02] | .did -a $1 $2 green [03] | .did -a $1 $2 red [04] | .did -a $1 $2 brown [05] | .did -a $1 $2 purple [06] | .did -a $1 $2 orange [07] | .did -a $1 $2 yellow [08] | .did -a $1 $2 l.green [09] | .did -a $1 $2 sea [10] | .did -a $1 $2 n.blue [11] | .did -a $1 $2 blue [12] | .did -a $1 $2 pink [13] | .did -a $1 $2 gray [14] | .did -a $1 $2 l.gray [15] }
alias -l me_select { .did -a $1 $2 /me | .did -a $1 $2 /ame | .did -a $1 $2 /qme }
on *:DIALOG:me:sclick:10:{
  unset %me_mess | var %q 1 | while (%q <= $did($dname,1).lines) { %me_mess = %me_mess $did($dname,1,%q).text | inc %q }
  if (%me_colors) { var %me_col $calc(%me_colors -1) | if ($len(%me_col) == 1) var %me_col $+($chr(3),0,%me_col) | else var %me_col $+($chr(3),%me_col) }
  if (%me_chars > 0) .editbox -an $did($dname,6,0).text $+(%me_col,%me_mess)
  else .echo -a :: Please enter your text ➤
}

🌐 http://forum.epicnet.ru 📜 irc.epicnet.ru 6667 #Code | mIRC scripts, help, discuss, examples
D
Dayvid Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi Racoon. Thanks for the response. You're close I think. Basically I'm really trying to Alias F1 to have the /me command entered and ready for me to type the emote text, or some other way to use F1 change to the emote color until I hit enter then revert back. I know it's a tiny command. I just use it a lot, and I'm having trouble with my hands. Thanks

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Other scriptors are welcome to mention some other similar scripting basics that I've not mentioned here.

Something else that too many scriptors bypassed as they learned how to code is the aspect of getting their script to 'play nice with others'. In most coding environments, it doesn't matter how your code behaves internally, so your choice of variable and procedure names doesn't matter much at all. However in mIRC, your script needs to share global variables and hashtables with other scripts, and if your script can call or be called by scripts written by other people, it could need to share things like binary variables or regex 'names'. You want to try avoiding trampling all over another script's settings or using labels which makes it more likely that another script tramples all over yours. Some related suggestions:

1. Don't create global variables using a single letter like %a, or as a simple word like %settings or %time without expecting another poorly written script doing the same, causing unpredictable results for both scripts.

If your variables don't need to be global, have them be local instead, where you're free to name them whatever you wish, and they're automatically wiped out when your script finishes. For global variables, it's better to have longer names that are less likely to have cross-script interference. One possibility is to include your script's name when naming the global variable, like %myscriptname.time

2. From observation, it seems that 'foo' is a label that's commonly used in scripts as the name of a &binvar or regex-name, in situations where nobody cares if the contents get destroyed by another script after their script is finished.

When a script uses $regml(1), it's the result from one of the regex identifiers, or even from an ON EVENT which uses a regex pattern as a match string. If you don't want your results wiped out by another script, then use a different optional name in your use of the regex identifiers and then use $regml(your-name,1) instead of $regml(1).

When your script creates a &binvar or a local %variable name for the 1st time, always assume that another script (or even a prior call of your same script) has left behind content in that &binvar name, or that there's a global variable existing as the same name as the local variable name you want to use.

3. Same goes with hashtables. You can't prevent another script from naming a hashtable anything it wants to use, so pick a name that's not likely to be used by other scripts.

4. If making a script for others to use, don't assume they use the same screen colors you do. While the default install of mIRC has a white background, many users prefer a black or gray background. Some colors which can be easily read against a white background are very hard to read against the color black. And vice-versa. For example, "/echo 8 -a test" shows text in yellow that's easily read against a black background, but extremely difficult to see against a white background. On the other hand "/echo 2 -a test" makes the text be blue, which can easily be seen against the default white background, but is extremely hard to see against a black background.

One solution can be to check the current background color, then behave differently depending on the settings.

Another solution is to provide your own background color along with your own colorized text, which lets you ensure visible contrast. Well, assuming the user hasn't defined those color indexes in a way which no longer has the expected contrast, in which case that problem could be avoided by using color indexes in the range 16-98 which can't be edited.

Another solution is to assume that the user's color settings have defined certain events with good contrast from the background and which are different than other settings. For example, you could do like:

/echo -ac ctcp test1
/echo -ac notice test2
/echo -ac info test3

5. Don't assume your script will always have a chance to clean up after itself. If your script uses global variables which have been created using the -e switch, those variables were created with an 'unset' flag that deletes those variables 2 billion seconds into the future. While your script isn't likely to have the 68 years of uptime needed to unset that variable, it's possible for that variable to exist the next time you restart mIRC itself. While temporary variables created using the -uN or -e switches are cleared from vars.ini during exit, they do get saved to disk during normal use of mIRC. So, if mIRC isn't able to properly exit due to a crash or a power failure, those temporary variables can exist in vars.ini the next time mIRC start, only now the temporary variables exist permanently without any flag set for future unset'ing. To defend against this, if your script creates any temporary variables, it might be a good idea to have an ON START event handler which deletes them.

D
Dayvid Offline OP
OP Offline
D
This is pretty fantastic Epic, thanks for putting that effort in! It took me a few to realize not to put in the alias tab. Just one question. Is there any way to be able to just hit Enter/ Carriage Return to Send Message without grabbing the mouse or tabbing down? Thanks!

T
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
T
This won't have the color picker, but alternatively you can utilize mIRC's ability of having a second editbox. In your treebar, or active icon from the menubar, or if you still use the switchbar (left click for the menubar if you're clicking the active icon, right click for treebar/switchbar) and in there you'll see a menu option as:

"Edit Box..."

If you enable this (and set it as default) You can pre-set a command within the Command field, such as /me

This will give you an alternative editbox to use which would have /me pre-loaded for you. I'm sure with a bit of tinkering and an ON *:TAB event you could have a cycling color code working on that editbox too. This would save you time, not require a specialized hot-key, just a simple shift+tab to jump to the 2nd editbox, or a quick mouse over and click into the 2nd editbox, and whatever you chose to type within that box will use whatever command you have set for it.

Unfortunately sending ^k using com-objects to access SendKeys does not prompt the built in color picker, or I thought about that being an option to automatically pop-up mIRC's internal color chooser as soon as you focused over to the other editbox frown

D
Dayvid Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks Talon. I'll check that out. I'm not seeing it, but I'm an old mutilated version running off my NAS as a portable copy I don't think should be. Just been loath to move my settings. I'm off tomorrow so planning on it. Is there Any downside to the portable version?

I appreciate people's help on the colors, but I'm fine with one specific color I have in my /me scheme, or altering my code honestly.

Thank you

T
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
T
Since I couldn't get mIRC's default one to popup, I scratched together an @window version to mimic mIRC's color choice when you press ctrl+k

This uses a hotkey for now, since I can't figure out how to detect a positional change (which editbox has focus)

So assuming you've set these options for a channel window (right clicking in the treebar of a channel window and chosing the option "Edit Box.."):

NOTE! I should've checked the bottom two, set as default and use default....

this script should work for you with the 2nd editbox:

Code
alias F10 { if ($window($active).type == channel) { ColorPicker } }
on *:ACTIVE:*:{ if ($lactive == @ColorPicker) { window -c @ColorPicker } }
on *:APPACTIVE: { if ($window(@ColorPicker)) { window -c @ColorPicker } }
menu @ColorPicker {
  sclick {
    var %x = $mouse.x , %y = $mouse.y
    if ($inrect(%x,%y,6,6,182,43)) {
      var %x = $calc((%x - 6) // 23) , %y = $calc((%y - 6) // 23)
      editbox -of1 $window(@ColorPicker).title $chr(3) $+ $base($calc(%x + %y * 8),10,10,2)
      window -c @ColorPicker
    }
    elseif ($inrect(%x,%y,6,52,274,158)) {
      var %x = $calc((%x - 6) // 23) , %y = $calc((%y - 52) // 23)
      editbox -of1 $window(@ColorPicker).title $chr(3) $+ $base($calc(%x + %y * 12 + 16),10,10,2)
      window -c @ColorPicker
    }
  }
}
alias -l ColorPicker {
  var %ox = $window(-2).x , %oy = $window(-2).y , %aw = $active
  window -dp +b @ColorPicker $calc($window($active).dx + 9) $calc($window($active).dy + $window($active).dh - 219) 289 219
  titlebar @ColorPicker %aw
  drawrect -f @ColorPicker 99 1 0 0 289 219
  var %x = 6 , %y = 6 , %z = 0
  while (%z <= 15) {
    var %a = $calc(%z % 8) , %b = $calc(%z // 8)
    drawrect -f @ColorPicker %z 1 $calc(%x + 23 * %a) $calc(%y + 23 * %b) 21 20
    drawrect  @ColorPicker 14 1 $calc(%x + 23 * %a) $calc(%y + 23 * %b) 21 20
    inc %z
  }
  var %x = 6 , %y = 52 , %z = 16
  while (%z <= 98) {
    var %a = $calc((%z - 16) % 12) , %b = $calc((%z - 16) // 12)
    drawrect -f @ColorPicker %z 1 $calc(%x + 23 * %a) $calc(%y + 23 * %b) 21 20
    drawrect  @ColorPicker 14 1 $calc(%x + 23 * %a) $calc(%y + 23 * %b) 21 20
    inc %z
  }
}

If you have the 2nd editbox enabled, just hit f10, you'll get a color choice box, click a color and it'll automatically apply ctrl+k(color) to that editbox, and just type away, then hit enter. You will perform the /me with whatever you typed in the box.

Side note: if you don't want a color, just shift+tab over to that other editbox or click into it with your mouse, type away and hit enter, it also will just perform /me (whatever you typed)

Here's a screenshot: sorry I have my borders to black so you can't really see my 2nd editbox.

Last edited by Talon; 11/11/20 11:54 PM.
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
At your request, I improved my script to make it convenient for you. I borrowed the idea for the color palette from Talon, for which I want to thank him.

The dialog box will open as soon as you press the "F9" button. (You can change this to a more convenient button in the alias name).
Now the script can count the number of typed characters, a pop-up palette to select the color of the message, additional options for working with the dialog box after the text has been sent, the choice of the type of message to be sent and the "Send message" button. And now the focus is automatically set to the "Send message" button by default so that you can press the "Enter" key.
Please check that everything works in the code, and if you have any questions, write to me here.

This code must be inserted into the script editor. To do this, press the key combination "ALT+R" and replace the old code with this code:

Code
#   Name: MeMessage v1.1
#   Description: Dialog box for managing and sending "/ME" messages.
#   Author: Epic
#   Email: epicnet@mail.ru
#   Site: http://epicnet.ru

alias F9 {
  if (!$dialog(me)) {
    unset %me_chars | me_set | .dialog -mp me me | .dialog -r me
    if (%me_color) .did -a me 4 %me_tcolors $+($chr(40),%me_color,$chr(41))
    me_select me 6 | if (%me_select) .did -c me 6 %me_select | else .did -c me 6 1
    if (%meo_check2) { .did -a me 1 %me_mess | me_calclines me 1 }
  } | else .dialog -x me
}
dialog -l me {
  title %me_title
  size -1 -1 300 235
  option pixels
  edit "", 1, 10 10 280 130, multi autovs, limit 900
  text %me_tchars, 2, 30 155 35 20, nowrap
  edit "0", 3, 71 152 30 21, read rich right, limit 4
  button %me_tcolors, 4, 115 151 120 22
  button %me_tbutton_set, 5, 248 151 22 22
  combo 6, 30 191 70 20, drop
  button %me_tbutton_ok, 10, 115 190 155 23, default
}
on *:DIALOG:me:close:0: me_winclose
on *:DIALOG:me:edit:1: me_calclines $dname $did | me_winclose
on *:DIALOG:me:sclick:4: me_colors $dname | if (!$window(@MeColors)) .did -f me 1
on *:DIALOG:me:sclick:5: me_options $dname
on *:DIALOG:me:sclick:6: %me_select = $did($dname,$did).sel
on *:DIALOG:me:sclick:10:{
  me_winclose | unset %me_mess | var %q 1 | while (%q <= $did($dname,1).lines) { %me_mess = %me_mess $did($dname,1,%q).text | inc %q }
  if (%me_color) { var %me_col $+($chr(3),%me_color) }
  var %me_message $did($dname,6,0).text $+(%me_col,%me_mess)
  if (%me_chars > 0) {
    if (!%meo_check3) .editbox -afn %me_message
    if (%meo_check3) .editbox -af %me_message
    if (!%meo_check2) { .did -r $dname 1 | unset %me_chars | .did -i $dname 3 1 0 }
    if (%meo_check1) .dialog -x $dname
  }
  else { .echo -a %me_terror_notext | .did -f me 1 }
}
============================================================
alias -l me_set {
  %me_title = MeMessage
  %me_tchars = Chars:
  %me_tcolors = Colors:
  %me_tbutton_set = ⧉
  %me_tbutton_ok = Send message ➤
  %me_tselect = /me /ame /qme
  %me_terror_notext = :: Please write your text ➤
}
alias -l me_winclose { if ($window(@MeColors)) .window -c @MeColors | if ($dialog(me_options)) .dialog -x me_options }
alias -l me_calclines { unset %me_chars | var %q 1 | while (%q <= $did($1,$2).lines) { %me_chars = $calc(%me_chars + $did($1,$2,%q).len) | inc %q } | .did -o $1 3 1 %me_chars }
alias -l me_select { var %me_q 1 | while (%me_q <= $numtok(%me_tselect,32)) { .did -a $1 $2 $gettok(%me_tselect,%me_q,32) | inc %me_q } }
alias -l me_colors {
  if (!$window(@MeColors)) {
    .window -padhik0 +beL @MeColors $calc($dialog($1).x +45) $calc($dialog($1).y +90) 215 63 | .window -a @MeColors
    .drawrect -f @MeColors 14 1 0 0 250 80
    var %me_x 6 | var %me_y 6 | var %me_q 0 | while (%me_q <= 15) {
      .drawrect -f @MeColors %me_q 1 %me_x %me_y 22 22
      .drawrect @MeColors 15 1 %me_x %me_y 22 22
      .hadd -m mecoordcol-x %me_q $+(%me_x,-,$calc(%me_x +22))
      .hadd -m mecoordcol-y %me_q $+(%me_y,-,$calc(%me_y +22))
      inc %me_q | inc %me_x 25 | if (%me_q == 8) { var %me_x 6 | inc %me_y 25 }
    }
  }
  else .window -c @MeColors
}
menu @MeColors {
  sclick {
    var %me_mx $mouse.x | var %me_my $mouse.y
    var %me_q 0 | while (%me_q <= 15) {
      var %me_hx $hget(mecoordcol-x,%me_q) | var %me_hy $hget(mecoordcol-y,%me_q)
      if (%me_mx isnum %me_hx && %me_my isnum %me_hy) { if (%me_q < 10) var %me_q $+(0,%me_q) | .did -a me 4 %me_tcolors $+($chr(40),%me_q,$chr(41)) | %me_color = %me_q | .break }
      inc %me_q
    }
    .window -c @MeColors | if ($dialog(me)) .did -f me 1
  }
}
alias -l me_options {
  if (!$dialog(me_options)) {
    me_options_set | .dialog -mp me_options me_options
    if (%meo_check1) .did -c me_options 1
    if (%meo_check2) .did -c me_options 2
    if (%meo_check3) .did -c me_options 3
  }
  else .dialog -x me_options
}
dialog -l me_options {
  title "MeOptions"
  size -1 -1 270 100
  option pixels
  check %meo_t1, 1, 15 20 250 20
  check %meo_t2, 2, 15 40 250 20
  check %meo_t3, 3, 15 60 250 20
}
alias -l me_options_set {
  %meo_t1 = Close the window after click on "Send"
  %meo_t2 = Save typed message after click on "Send"
  %meo_t3 = Move message to EditBox after click on "Send"
}
on *:DIALOG:me_options:close:0: if ($dialog(me)) .did -f me 1
on *:DIALOG:me_options:sclick:1: if ($did($dname,$did).state == 1) %meo_check1 = 1 | else unset %meo_check1
on *:DIALOG:me_options:sclick:2: if ($did($dname,$did).state == 1) %meo_check2 = 1 | else unset %meo_check2
on *:DIALOG:me_options:sclick:3: if ($did($dname,$did).state == 1) %meo_check3 = 1 | else unset %meo_check3

Last edited by Epic; 12/11/20 08:53 AM.

🌐 http://forum.epicnet.ru 📜 irc.epicnet.ru 6667 #Code | mIRC scripts, help, discuss, examples
D
Dayvid Offline OP
OP Offline
D
It's fantastic! Thanks so much for the help and effort, Epic. And everyone for your input. This saves a lot of pain. Much obliged!

D
Dayvid Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Sorry one last thing epic. The close window on carriage return or hit send doesn't work.

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Please tell me did you read my personal letter? I have corrected the code due to some errors. Perhaps you downloaded it before I fixed something in the code. Try installing the code again.
Please specify, after which the window does not close? There are special options there. You can try playing around with the settings to find the best configuration that works for you.

Perhaps what you wanted was here. Please have a look in the code, I have changed the line 39:
Code
if (!%meo_check3) .editbox -afn %me_message

I hope the script now fully meets your requirements and makes your communication more convenient smile cool

D
Dayvid Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks Epic, I had repasted the script in so I guess that reset the settings earlier forgot them I'm really sorry about that. 100% my fault. Again, thanks so much for the time and effort.

Link Copied to Clipboard