Print Thread
E
enull Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
E
Hello

Create a new a channel on any IRC network and set +k, open a new -m server window and try to join the channel without providing the key.

I succeeded to join the channel each time only for the first attempt (for the second and subsequent attempts, it ask for a key). I tried this for random channels and on different IRC networks.

Additionally, after you join a +k channel (whether using the above method or /join #channel <key>) and then leave it, you'll be asked to provide the key if you tried to rejoin again, so it does not look like mIRC is 'storing' the password.

Is this a normal behavior or a kind of bug? If it is a normal behavior, how it is supposed to work exactly?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for your bug report. I have not been able to reproduce this issue. Here are the steps I am taking to test this:

In status window #1:
1) Connect to Efnet
2) Join #channel
3) Set +k password on #channel

In status window #2
1) Connect to Efnet
2) Join #channel
3) mIRC uses the correct password to join #channel

If you follow the above steps exactly, can you reproduce the issue?

E
enull Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I understood you are saying it is a normal behavior to join the channel in status #2 without providing the key? (I thought we're always required to use /join #channel <key> and didn't know that mIRC somehow stores the channel key)

If this is true, then why when I leave the channel in #2 and try to rejoin again I am going to be asked to provide a key?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
f this is true, then why when I leave the channel in #2 and try to rejoin again I am going to be asked to provide a key?

I have not been able to reproduce this issue here.

To which IRC network are you connecting?

E
enull Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Undernet. Seems to be working fine for other networks though.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Ah, right! The Undernet ircd sets channel passwords to * for non-ops. The channel key memory feature was not taking that into account. This issue has been fixed for the next version so that, on networks that use the Undernet ircd, if a channel key is * it will not be remembered.

E
enull Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks for your quick response.

A
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
A
The IRCd still reveals the password when it is set and you are already in the channel. But when you leave and come back it is set to * until someone resets the channel key to a new key. To just forget the password does little good. To remember the password even though it is set to * would be beneficial. It cannot be forgotten even when an attempt to join the channel fails with remembered password because the ircd does not tell you which command failed (in the event multiple /join #mirc <pass> attempts are used). You cannot even remember a password that is used on the join command respectively because multiple /join attempts maybe used and there is no telling which one is true password. Only when you are in the channel and the channel password is witnessed being set should it be remembered and never forgotten. Although you could check if other sessions are opped in the channel and can see the key or have otherwise witnessed the channel key being set and can see it or have it remembered. Of course this is a problem when there is a netsplit and multiple channel keys are in use for that I made a script that will set all channel modes then unset all channel modes then set the channel modes that you want to keep. I haven't finished it yet as usual or I would post the script.

Link Copied to Clipboard