mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
D
Drai Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
D
Basically if I open firefox, iTunes, etc the mIRC window always sits on top until I minimize it. Is there a setting that can be changed? It never did this when I used Windows Vista but ever since I got my new computer with Windows 7 I've had this problem.

I'm using the most current version of mIRC as far as I know.

When I click on the icon at the top left of mIRC the 'on top' option is greyed out.

Thanks

Last edited by Drai; 17/12/10 03:29 AM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
This usually indicates that you have the "on top" setting enabled for the main mIRC window. You can change this setting by clicking the small mIRC icon in the top left corner of the mIRC window and unchecking the "on top" option. The setting can also be changed in the mIRC Options/Display/Options/Windows dialog.

D
Drai Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
D
Thank you so much. Like I said, the mIRC icon in the top left corner showed the 'on top' option but it was greyed out. However the second suggestion you had did the trick.

Appreciate it!

Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
I realize this is an old post, but I'm having this problem now myself... I've done what you suggested and checked the "on top" setting in both places. It was off, so I togged it on and off again in each place, none of this made any difference, and the mIRC window is still stuck on top of my windows task bar so I can't pull it up by moving the mouse to the bottom of the screen while the mIRC window is maximized frown

Any help would be appreciated

Mistress Carolyn
Long time user and supporter of mIRC
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
To check whether the "on top" setting is working correctly...

If you turn "on top" on and then try to switch to other applications, does mIRC stay on top of all other windows? If it does, this means "on top" is working correctly.

If you turn "on top" off and then try to switch to other applications, do other windows cover the mIRC window? It they do, this means "on top" has been turned off correctly.

At this point, if your Windows task bar is still being covered by mIRC, something else is going on that is not related to mIRC.

You could try changing your taskbar settings, or moving the taskbar around. These seem to resolve the issue for some Windows users.

You could also try logging out of, or restarting, Windows.

N
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
N
I've been running mIRC for years on this box (XP), currently 7.55 and suddenly (within the past month or so) started having this problem. "On Top" is not checked. If I check it, and then uncheck it, it works as expected until I switch back to the mIRC window, and then it gets stuck on top again. The box itself hasn't changed in a long time and is used almost exclusively via remote desktop for mIRC.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you have followed the steps described in my post above, and the "on top" setting is turned off, this means that the issue is not related to mIRC. There is nothing you can do in mIRC to prevent this. The issue is with your Windows taskbar.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Note that there is a on top setting as well in alt + o > display > options > windows... but I tried it and it's working as expected on 7.63: accessing the window's menu of the main mIRC window shows the on top setting, and disabling it there does work, unsetting the checkbox in alt + o as well as making the window not on top.
Make sure the value of $file($mircexe).sig is "ok", try to use the latest version of mIRC.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel

Link Copied to Clipboard