mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
H
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
H
I have been using MIRC for years and am pretty tech savvy but I am frustrated by not being able to connect. I have read a bunch of advice and tried it, yet nothing seems to work. I am on a Windows 10 machine with Norton 360. Everything is controlled by Norton. I disabled the firewall and intrusion protection but still get the following error when I try to connect to any server Unable to connect to server (Connection timed out). I tried creating a rule to allow ALL connections and it still didn't help. There have to be other people in the same boat. Please help!!!

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It is very likely that Norton 360 is blocking mIRC.

If you search Google, there a number of results that might help, eg. here.

Your best bet would be to post to the Norton 360 forums for help.

H
OP Offline
H
Not the problem. I disabled intrusion protection and the firewall and still cannot connect to any server. Also, there is not evidence of anything in the log having been blocked. I downloaded another client and was able to connect to both Rizon and Criten with the same firewall settings so it is not that.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It is common for anti-virus/security software to target the most widely used applications. In this case, the most widely used IRC client is mIRC. So Norton 360 is very likely specifically blocking mIRC. You will need to contact the authors of Norton 360 to ask them for help. Alternatively, you might find suggestions on the Norton 360 forums, as it looks like users there have discussed this issue before.

Link Copied to Clipboard