mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
T
titan59 Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
T
Hey, i'm sure this has already been suggested, but i know a LOT of people who would just kill to have this function into mirc. When you are downloading large files, it can be long from only one source, whereas the speed can triple or quadruple when you add more sources...

You see it with File sharing programs, that's the way they are so popular and fast...

Well, that's my suggestion smile
titan59

C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
C
mIRC isn't a file sharing app, so it makes it a bit pointless.

Why not just encourage servers to use a file splitter program and find two or theree copies of it, leeching each part individually. Yes, thats right, PRESPLIT the files, rather than make mIRC do the work.

Better yet find some poor sucker to create a script to do it.

B
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
B
DCC is the default, basic, non-frills way of transferring to people on IRC channels. It's not supposed to be fancy or anything. It's just supposed to get a simple job done, simply, without taking up much resources.

If you want to explore more advanced ways of distributing large files to many people using many sources, use bittorrent.
http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/

If you'd like to find other advanced ways of distributing large files, look for alternative ways to download any type of Linux.. There's many people working on ways to make downloading Linux more efficient, and most of the ways they create to do the grueling task of distributing different versions of Linux can be applied to other very large files as well. smile

My suggestion is that you either have people download RARed files that are split into 14mb chunks which come with sfv signature files to verify the files, or you do things the new, cool, and exceedingly efficient way using bittorrent and md5 signature files. smile

- Wherever you go there you are.[color:lightgreen]
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I think the original post was more of a request on how to leech from multiple existing DCC bots, or multiple times from the same DCC bot (using resume) to make downloading go faster.

I've discussed many times over how this will do little to increase your download speed, unless speeds are slow due to popularity and demand... in which case LEECHING would be Not-Nice and cause a vicious cycle.

If you want to explore the real world of serious downloading, look into FTP, NNTP (Usenet), and distributed networks like Gnutella (Gnucleus) and eDonkey (eMule).

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!

Link Copied to Clipboard