Print Thread
#266320 16/11/19 12:37 AM
Z
zapper Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
Z
Hi, I have the latest mirc version 7.57. I just moved from an older laptop win10 to a new HP 13.3 Oled screen win10 and when I installed mirc and the colored icons, E.G. "options" "Favorites" "Channel lists" "Script editor" "Online timer" "Colors" "log files" etc along the top, all those icons are tiny and can hardly make out what they are. They have shrunk. I also have a very old version mirc which dates back about 15 years, and when I installed that old version, there are no problems with it and all the icons are of normal size. Is there a issue with the newer versions of mirc on a 13.3 Oled screen, or is there a setting where I can fix this?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
There's a setting Options/Display/Buttons set the dropdown to 'large', but this doesn't change the size very much. As for any hardware issues, i have no knowledge.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
See here for a previous discussion on this topic.

This is due to newer computers using higher resolution screens, which make the user interface smaller. For older applications, such as older versions of mIRC, that are not high resolution/DPI-aware, Windows magnifies the interface, including the buttons. This makes the buttons larger but the interface can be blurry and there are many aspects of the application that will not work correctly.

This is on my to-do list. However, it will require a professional icon designer. There are around 70 icons and, the last time I looked into it, the cost was significant. As mentioned in the previous thread, all of the icons will need to be updated to include at least 16x16, 32x32, 48x48, and 256x256 sizes, and will likely require a few other intermediate sizes as well.

P
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
P
Before you decide to employ a professional icon designer, you might want to see if anyone on the forums would like to volunteer to do the job for you for free - but with a plaudit on the forums.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I am of the opinion there is a bug in here though. When I switch between toolbar icon sizes Small and Large, the icons themselves do not change at all.
The icons stay small, while the blank space around each icon grows.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
P
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
P
I experience exactly the same when I change from small to large.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A compromise could be to have some simple icons available, either as interim until the larger icons are available, or as a supplement.

In addition to "small" and "large", there could be an option "large text", which has simple but readable icons, each having 1 or 2 letters on them to indicate the usage of that button. I'm assuming that designing an Icon containing just a text letter would be much easier than scaling an image to the appropriate size.

[D] Disconnected
[C] Connected
[C2] Connected but needs 2nd click to actually disconnect
[O] Options
[F] Favorites
[L#] List Channels
[S] Scripts Editor
[A] Address Book
[T] Timer
[aK] Alt+K Colors DIalog
[SF] Send File
[CT] Chat
[DO] Dcc Options
[RF] Rec'd FIles
[LF] Log Files
[NL] Notify List
[UL] Urls List
[TH] Tile Horizontal
[TV] Tile Vertical
[TC] Tile Cascade
[A?] About

P
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
P
They may not look as good as they could, but simply scaling up the existing icons would be a good interim position.

As an alternative, have you considered crowd funding the design? There might be sufficient interest amongst existing paid-up users to cover a significant part of the costs.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
When I switch between toolbar icon sizes Small and Large, the icons themselves do not change at all. The icons stay small, while the blank space around each icon grows.

That is what is intended. The button size changes. The icon size cannot change because it is a fixed size.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
They may not look as good as they could, but simply scaling up the existing icons would be a good interim position.

I have tried this but alas the appearance of the scaled icons was not acceptable.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone but, really, the only solution to this is updated icons.

Z
zapper Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
Z
Thanks for your answer/reply. I do hope this can be resolved soon with a newer version of mirc. Sad about the outlay/cost in this fix.

#266490 18/12/19 12:53 PM
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
For Item 6, changed - beta 7.58.808 - In my opinion this idea of putting all bigger icons in the Treebar could be optional. Larger icons can be used in the smaller Toolbar and Treebar (default size). An option to resize the Treebar icons could be placed via the popup menu when right clicking on the Treebar.

TECO
irc.PTirc.org (Co-Admin)
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
In my opinion this idea of putting all bigger icons in the Treebar could be optional. Larger icons can be used in the smaller Toolbar and Treebar (default size). An option to resize the Treebar icons could be placed via the popup menu when right clicking on the Treebar.

The purpose of this change in the current beta is to make the icons visible on high resolution screens, as per the original post in this thread. I don't believe it would make sense to leave some icons small, and not visible, and other icons large. The interface, ie. icon size and visibility, should be consistent.

Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
Originally Posted by Khaled
The purpose of this change in the current beta is to make the icons visible on high resolution screens, as per the original post in this thread. I don't believe it would make sense to leave some icons small, and not visible, and other icons large. The interface, ie. icon size and visibility, should be consistent.

I understand your point of view, but for example I like to have Toolbar icons in large size, but Treebar icons in small size. I think you could make this option available to anyone who wants to use the large or small treebar icons.

TECO
irc.PTirc.org (Co-Admin)
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
In the released 7.58 I had my buttons set to 'Large' which slightly increased the size of the buttons but, I believe, not the images on them. After installing the previous beta, I had to change the size back to 'Small' because the new icons where now larger and blurry - but the treebar was still okay. Installing the current beta (808) with my setting still set to 'Small' the treebar has now become very cramped and is cutting off the text of channel names.

I prefer the released 7.58 treebar spacing and icon sizes set when set to 'Large' than the appearance of beta 808 display setting in either case.

Screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/RCUYWnb

I am using a 1920x1080 13" screen with scaling set to 125%.

Last edited by Loki12583; 20/12/19 04:37 AM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
After installing the previous beta, I had to change the size back to 'Small' because the new icons where now larger and blurry - but the treebar was still okay.

That is indeed expected. This is mentioned in the beta.txt file. The treebar/switchbar icons may look better than the toolbar icons because they are being scaled from a larger size. However, this is a temporary change. Its purpose is to allow users to check if the toolbar/switchbar/treebar and servers/favorites dialogs are correctly handling larger icon sizes. The release will revert to how previous versions work.

Installing the current beta (808) with my setting still set to 'Small' the treebar has now become very cramped and is cutting off the text of channel names.

Thanks, the chopped text has been fixed for the next beta. As for the treebar being cramped, the change in icon width is 16 pixels to 20 pixels... so the difference in length is 4 pixels.

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
It is not just the size of the icons, the spacing is different between the lines of text. The new spacing, even when set to Large, is smaller than it used to be. Unless this is the same fix for cutting off the lines in 'Small' mode.

Last edited by Loki12583; 20/12/19 03:13 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
the spacing is different between the lines of text

I haven't been able to reproduce this here yet, however I think I know what might be causing it. I will include a change in the next beta that should fix it.

Link Copied to Clipboard