mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
N
NimbM Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
N
Hi! I've tried pretty much everything from what I could find on the internet.

List of things I've tried:
[list]
[*]Disable windows firewall
[*]Perform a clean format of windows
[*]connect using SSL
[*]connect using server ip
[*]connect on different ports (6667, 6669, 7000)
[*]searched for speed patch on registry, found nothing.
[*]winsock reset
[*]disabling Identd
[*]disabling DCC
[*]asking ISP to change router
[*]Changing the Connect -> Local -> IP Address setting to my public and private (LAN) IPv4.

Other IRC clients work fine, such as Kvirc, cyber script and irc web clients. None of them show any errors.
I'm running 7.56 with Windows 10 (1903 build 18362.239).

I keep getting [10053] Software caused connection abort on both regular and SSL connections. I've even moved across states in Brazil and the error followed me (The clean format was after the move). My connection is fine, if I have multiple servers connected, what actually happens is one of them shows 10053 and the other doesn't, so it isn't a loss of connection. I'm also on a wired network.

What else can I do to get this fixed?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Just to clarify - you can connect to networks, but just have trouble keeping the connection alive for a long time? Or have trouble connecting to some networks at all?

If it's the former, does a timer that pings yourself every 45 seconds or so help?

//timerpingself. $+ $network 0 45 .ping $!me

in options/connect/options, does it help to change the setting "check connection timeout"

is it only some networks, or do they all have the intermittent problem?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
While we have, on occasion, been able to narrow 10053 down to a specific cause for a particular user, it is a generic connection error with many possible causes.

One item you didn't mention on your list is anti-virus software. If you are using anti-virus software, you would need to check if the issue is still present after you 1) add an exception for mIRC, 2) disable the anti-virus software, 3) really disable the anti-virus software (some anti-virus software says it is disabled but continues working in the background in some way).

Some servers perform a client version check on connecting to the server, so it may be that they change how they poll an IRC client based on that. mIRC already polls the server connection to check if it has timed out (Enable "Check connection timeout" option in Options/Connect/Options dialog). If it has timed out, this will result in the 10053 error (I don't know if other IRC clients do this - if they don't, it may appear that they are still connected when they are not).

If you find a solution, please let us know.

N
NimbM Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
N
I am using Kaspersky Antivirus, I've added mIRC to the exclusions list for all services.

I've also had:
Code
on *:START:.timerAnti-10053 -o 0 60 scon -at1 raw -q ping Anti-10053
on ^*:PONG:if ($2 == Anti-10053) haltdef
on remote and it didn't help.

This happens to any server I connect to, and yes, it's after I connect.

I'll report back how adding it to Kaspersky exclusions and running the pingself script work.

Last edited by NimbM; 27/07/19 11:44 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I am using Kaspersky Antivirus, I've added mIRC to the exclusions list for all services.

In the past, users have reported that Kaspersky Antivirus can still block or interefere with mIRC in some way even when mIRC is added to the exclusion list, as it considers IRC a risk. It is specifically aware of mIRC, as the most widely used client. If the issue continues, you may find a solution in the Kaspersky forums.

N
NimbM Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
N
Originally Posted by Khaled

In the past, users have reported that Kaspersky Antivirus can still block or interefere with mIRC in some way even when mIRC is added to the exclusion list, as it considers IRC a risk. It is specifically aware of mIRC, as the most widely used client. If the issue continues, you may find a solution in the Kaspersky forums.

Unfortunately, the ping self script and adding mIRC to exclusions/safe apps and disabling Kaspersky didn't work. I'll try to uninstall Kaspersky and see how it goes.

Last edited by NimbM; 03/08/19 02:09 AM.
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
Same here, Windows 10.0.18362 Build 18362, tried what @NimbM has mentioned in his post.
Connecting to Freenode via SSL.

Looking at Wireshark, Freenode sends RST packet after receiving the following payload from mIRC:
Code
0000   e4 8d 8c 55 43 cd 74 46 a0 3b 1d 7d 08 00 45 00   ...UC.tF.;.}..E.
0010   00 43 7f b9 40 00 80 06 00 00 c0 a8 02 08 cc e1   .C..@...........
0020   60 fb df 1e 1b 58 03 e7 09 43 4f 36 2a 77 50 18   `....X...CO6*wP.
0030   04 02 f0 c2 00 00 4e 49 43 4b 20 78 78 78 0a 55   ......NICK xxx.U
0040   53 45 52 20 78 78 78 20 30 20 2a 20 3a 2e 2e 2e   SER xxx 0 * :...
0050   0a                                                .

Here is the whole transaction:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Perhaps it's not exactly in the format Freenode's software is expecting?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Perhaps it's not exactly in the format Freenode's software is expecting?

I and many other mIRC users use Freenode all the time. If this was an issue with Freenode not accepting a particular format, we should be experiencing the same issue :-)

Remember, this issue has been present across many different IRC networks, completely randomly, for as long as IRC has been around. It is a generic connection error that can have many causes, from anti-virus, to servers, to internet providers. It is certainly possible that it could be a client issue but we have never been able to find anything that shows that.

Since, in your case, it is Freenode that is resetting the connection just after a logon attempt, we would need to debug this from Freenode's end.

For all we know, it could be that your internet provider is filtering IRC-related connections because they consider them risky. I recall one user asking their internet provider if they filtered IRC connections and was told that they did not. After much discussion on the forums, debugging, betas, testing, etc. the user contacted them again, escalated the request, and eventually found out that they did filter IRC connections.

Pikka bird
Pikka bird
As suggested by Racoon at another topic, try adding "+" sign before port number if connecting via SSL.

Helped in my case smile

Last edited by afterdeck; 05/08/19 11:19 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard