#2657 20/12/02 05:45 AM
W
wanted Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
W
Hi!,

many ppl on many networks are using CTCPs to flood other ppl cause it's an easy an effective way to make them flood the server and get kicked off.

Also, manager of big channels, have to ignore them all cause ppl flooding nowadays are using VERSION's CTCPs cause if you aren't ignoring them you are automatically sending a reply.

If your script is ignoring them after some CTCPs then, the others who hasn't been kicked or banned before you ignored them, can continue flooding the channel.

So what I want as a new feature is a way to HALT the VERSION REPLY, it would really help channel manager to stop flooders.

Yours trully,

wanted

#2658 20/12/02 11:42 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It won't help much, if they are running enough clones it'll stall most scripts anyway because the information cannot be processed quickly enough, especially for those, like me, who alter the appearance of events or those (not me) who have bitmap backgrounds.

Some networks, CR powered ones especially have a usermode to block CTCP and another to block DCC and another called /silence which blocks msg, notice and CTCP floods. All these work at server level which means no pressure is placed on your script and indeed you don't even download any of the flooders data.

Server side defence is always far better.

#2659 20/12/02 09:37 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
No see you type:
/mode #thechannel +m and then all those flooders can't talk anymore.

#2660 21/12/02 04:30 AM
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
What mIRC version are you running? With 6.03 mIRC applies flood protection to version replies regardless of your settings in the 'flood' options (unless I'm missing something) - I'd prefer an option to disable this protection alltogether (for testing reasons on a local server). You should encourage members of your channel to upgrade to a later version..

I think the 'best' suggestion I've seen regarding this whole version reply business (some people don't like it, don't like having _any_ information sent around that they can't control, don't like being flooded etc.) is to change the way mIRC acts with version replies. mIRC should MODIFY all outgoing ctcp version replys instead of sending its own, and allow users to halt the ctcp version event.

You can always ignore all ctcps during a flood..

#2661 21/12/02 02:48 PM
W
wanted Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
W
Everything is ok now.

I just found a way to ignore CTCPs and look for them when they are sent to me so the version reply isn't sended anymore.

The command queue is now only filled of 'kick / ban command', no more 'version reply' so CTCPers are banned almost instantly.

You can throw away my suggested feature wink

wanted

#2662 28/12/02 09:04 AM
G
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
G
It could be a good feature yeah. You can halt the version reply, but if there is no mIRC ($version?) in it, it could add something like - Powered by mIRC $version to it.

Link Copied to Clipboard