mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
D
Dan2019 Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
D
Hi,I am quite new to mirc scripting and need someone to confirm that the following code would say Welcome to a user upon JOIN and then ignore them permanently 10 secs later...

on 1:JOIN:#:/timer 1 10 /msg $nick Welcome | /timer 1 20 ignore $nick

thanks in advance smile

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It would do that assuming

1. That this says ignore is on: /ignore
2. This is not checking whether the nick is in a shared channel with you 10 seconds in the future, or at 20 seconds in the future, or whether you've already ignored them in the past yet are still sending them a query.
3. The fact that you're opening a query window on them, yet ignoring any reply from them doing the same to you is an indication that you're violating the golden rule of doing something to others that you don't want done to you.
4. This is a good way to create a denial of service attack against you. All that's needed to get you to ignore a nick that you don't want to ignore is for someone to join a channel you're in after first changing to that nick.
5. The ignore only applies to anyone using that specific nick at that specific $network, and they're no longer ignored once they change nick. If you used "ignore $nick 2" it would apply the ignore against a wildcard of their address, but only if that nick was in a channel with you 20 seconds in the future.
6. Sending a query to all nicks who join a channel they share with you is going to quickly get YOU ignored by people tired of having a query window opened on them by you. And if they complain to the Ops, you'll likely get told to cut it out or get kicked.

D
Dan2019 Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
D
Thanks for your reply smile

I should mention that the script is to be used with Bitlbee - The Multi Protocol Chat Gateway Linux program. I run bots for different niches and blogs etc for advice/sales etc, but the one thing I want to do for some niches is only respond to the user once ever - when they come online for the first time only. Then the next time/day/whenever when they come on they are ignored . Not sure if you are aware of Bitlbee but do you think that considering the gateway is IRC/Mirc - which ultimately has its own independent control - that there would be no need to manually have to ignore them on the actual IM chat platform? That mirc could take care of it completely and ignore the user forever ? Obviously if they changed id then that would override it , but surely mirc can do this right ? It wouldnt really matter if they were still a live contact on the actual chat platform because as long as they were being ignored in mirc then thats all that matters .....

I also have been playing around with randomizers and need to find a way to randomize replies . I pipe | them at the moment ,so its basically a sequence of replies using timers , but at the moment they are not randomized . What's the simplest way of dealing with that do you think ?

Example - on 1:JOIN:#:/timer 1 10 /msg $nick Welcome | /timer 1 20 If you like the game please vote on the main page | /timer 1 30 Thanks for visiting and enjoy your stay ignore $nick (the ignore command to be tweaked)....

I have read about text files being used locally but not sure how to implement it ?....

Last edited by Dan2019; 15/05/19 05:56 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard