mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
R
raven Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
R
Don't ask why, but I'm trying to get mIRC to run thru wine in Raspbian (Raspberry Pi OS), but it doesn't like 64bit. I have been googling a bit, but can't try a trustworthy archive of older versions. Is there anyone out there on the interwebz sitting on mIRC 32bit? No matter what version, if it's 1.0 or 7.52, just need to be clean 32bit smile

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
7.52 is 32 bits as shown by: //echo -a $bits

I'm using 32-bit Windows 7, so if it were 64-bit I couldn't run it.

However the mirc.com download page does include a link to v6.35

https://www.mirc.com/get.html

"mIRC v6.35 and can be downloaded here."

R
raven Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: maroon
7.52 is 32 bits as shown by: //echo -a $bits

I'm using 32-bit Windows 7, so if it were 64-bit I couldn't run it.

However the mirc.com download page does include a link to v6.35

https://www.mirc.com/get.html

"mIRC v6.35 and can be downloaded here."

Yes, I know frown But I probably need a clean 32bit version, without 64bit support for wine to accept it. Allready tried with 6.35 frown

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
mIRC is currently 32bit. It performs some 64bit calculations and make some calls that use 64bit values but these are through standard Windows APIs that are not 64bit specific.

As for clean versions of mIRC, that's tricky because I don't have copies of older releases. The only versions I can guarantee are the digitally signed versions from v7.1 onwards. Some websites such as oldversion.com have older versions of mIRC and virus scan them.

I haven't tried Raspberry Pi before - which model are you using?

R
raven Offline OP
OP Offline
R
This is an old Raspberry Pi 1, the first model ever produced. I haven't tried on the newer 3 B+ yet, if it's a hardware issue.

Dunno how much Linux you know, but this is the output:

pi@alexa:~/Downloads $ wine mirc752.exe
err:process:create_process L"F:\\home\\pi\\Downloads\\mirc752.exe" not supported on this installation (x86 binary)
wine: Felaktigt EXE-format för F:\home\pi\Downloads\mirc752.exe.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Interesting, that does look like a 32bit/64bit issue.

If you run the installer on Windows to extract the mirc.exe executable and then try to run that on Raspbian, does it show the same error? Or you could download the latest beta, which is just a zip file containing the mirc.exe executable.

R
raven Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: Khaled
Interesting, that does look like a 32bit/64bit issue.

If you run the installer on Windows to extract the mirc.exe executable and then try to run that on Raspbian, does it show the same error? Or you could download the latest beta, which is just a zip file containing the mirc.exe executable.

I got the exact same issue. Since I'm probably one in 10 million that try to run a modern windows software on an ancient architecture like this, I will post the problem in a few Linux-forums and see if I can find anything there smile

kap Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
I'm by no means an expert, but I believe this is not possible [1] due to the different CPU architectures. Raspberry pi = ARM/RISC and mIRC runs on x86 architecture...

[1] Unless you pay for something like ExaGear (emulator) https://eltechs.com/product/exagear-desktop/

GNU Terry Pratchett - Looking for a mIRC help channel -> Check #mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
For experimentation, try the 10 year old mIRC v6.35 which is still an official download. If the installer doesn't work in Raspbian, try to just extract the mirc.exe file as that is the only file which is needed to run. (mIRC is very portable in that regard.)

https://www.mirc.com/get.php?version=635

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
K
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
K
You would need to run mIRC though an emulator like kap said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZuV8oTZiQE (mIRC and Quake on a Pi).

Your PC runs on x86 while the Pi runs on ARM, they are totally different architectures. Basically one speaks English and the other speaks French.

Emulation will be slow on the Pi.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
He said he's already using Wine, which necessarily means he's already using an x86 emulator to do so. Which means he's probably already running ExaGear (or Qemu).

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
F
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
F
WINE is not an emulator, its a call translator; it converts Standard Windows API calls to distro-native calls. It does NOT emulate missing feature sets.

Yes, WINE can be installed on a PI but there's not gurantee it will function as expected from a x86 machine on an ARM/RISC machine.

He will need an ARM/RISC to x86 emulator of which to run WINE in.

I am SReject
My Stuff

Link Copied to Clipboard