mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
M
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
M
In the "Channels List" text dialog box, there is a pulldown list of terms that I've searched for in the past. How do I DELETE an old search term from this list?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Not going to recommend editing mirc.ini

[find] has a history of searches in remotes editor, [find2] is a history of searches in channel/status/@window. You can add new searches to force the older ones to expire.

If you don't want a #channel search to appear in this list, you can use /findtext to jump to the line.

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/mirc/commands/findtext

M
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
M
I'm afraid that you are far more advanced than I. I think your second sentence would answer my question if I could understand it. I don't know what the following mean, where to find them, or how to use them:
remotes editor
[find]
[find2]
channel/status/@window

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
if you look at mirc.ini using notepad, you'll see there are section names wrapped inside braces. Two section titles are [find] and [find2]. One is the search history use see when you press Ctrl+F in a channel or status window, the other is the history in the scripts editor window. Inside that section you'll see several item=value lines that you'll recognize as your history.

You should avoid editing mirc.ini, because you can mess things up if you don't know what you're doing. And if you edit while mirc.exe is running, your changes are often ignored. Your search terms may not go into history if they're not found, so you may need to search for things like 'the' or 'and' to come up with replacement search terms that will eventually force the others to expire.

As for /findtext, it's a way of searching a channel window for text in a way which doesn't put anything into your history. You'd just type in the channel's editbox something like "/findtext and"

If you are brave enough to edit mirc.ini, make a copy of it first, then do the editing while mirc.exe is not running. Then delete all the items in the [find] amd [find2] sections, but not the [section] name too.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Simply conducting the experiment myself, this seems to work perfectly fine. But your results may vary, so save a back-up of your mirc.ini file.

Code:
; To clear the CTRL+F find history in mdi windows.
//remini $mircini find2

; To clear the CTRL+F find history in script editor.
//remini $mircini find

; Optional.  Just to be sure.  Also type:
/saveini

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
M
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
M
Hi Maroon, I understood your instructions. Thanks. Unfortunately, I had no favorable results.

I found the mirc.ini file you described in the following location.

Program Files (x86) > mIRC > defaults > mirc.ini

It had 1853 bytes. I opened it with notepad and there was neither [find] nor [find2] anywhere in that file.

> you'll recognize as your history

NOTHING in mirc.ini looked like anything that I ever searched for. All were after the line "[chanfolder]" and contained full channel names such as:
n0=#AllNiteCafe

I closed notepad.

To investigate, in the Windows 7 "Search" box at the upper right I searched for list and "list2" with no results anywhere in the "Program Files (x86) > mIRC" folder.

Then I had an idea-- I would add a new search-term into the Channels List search box and see which mIRC file changed. So, I loaded mIRC, connected to a network, clicked on Channels List (the fourth icon from the left on the top). In the "Text:" box I typed the string "wbpxh". Then I clicked on "Get List". As expected, there were no hits. Now, mIRC has stored the wbpxh string somewhere on my computer for eternity.

Then I looked for the wbpxh string. Unfortunately, I could not find where it was stored:
(1) I searched for "wbpxh" in the Windows 7 Start > "Search Programs and Files" box with no results
(2a) Via Windows 7, I looked at a listing for all the files in the mIRC folder. NO FILE itself had changed date, but the "defaults" FOLDER had updated to today's date and time.
(2b) Via DOS, I repeated (2a) above and found the same results.

If you have further ideas, please let me know. Thank you for your patience.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The mirc.ini you need is the one actually used by mirc. You can find it in this folder:

//echo -a $mircdir

using filename:

//echo -a $mircini

The reason you couldn't find was that those were the defaults from before the program is actually used. If the mirc.ini is in the same folder where mirc.exe is located, then it uses that file. Otherwise it uses mirc.ini located in c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\mirc\mirc.ini and it will create from scratch if it doesn't exist there.

It can be hard to use windows to search for appdata if you have the setting to treat AppData as a hidden folder which should not be seen or searched into.

It sounds like it would be simpler for you to just add some dummy searches until the stuff you want to be gone doesn't appear in the dropdown list anymore.

Or you could try Raccoon's suggestion, with only a small alteration. To defend against the chance that the pathname for your mirc.ini has a space in it, you might need to put it inside quotes, like:

Code:
; first save a backup copy, that you can only use by copying back while mirc is not running:

//saveini | copy $qt($mircini) backup_mirc.ini

; To clear the CTRL+F find history in mdi windows.
//remini $qt($mircini) find2

; To clear the CTRL+F find history in script editor.
//remini $qt($mircini) find

; Optional.  Just to be sure.  Also type:
/saveini

; after you're done, this should say both are zero:
//saveini | echo -a $ini($mircini,find2,0) $ini($mircini,find,0)

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Good catch on using $qt($mircini) for my examples. I forgot that many people have spaces in their App Data path.

Mercury24: Another way to get there from mIRC. Type:

/run .

yes. with the dot.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
kap Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Quote:

It can be hard to use windows to search for appdata if you have the setting to treat AppData as a hidden folder which should not be seen or searched into.

You can type %appdata% into windows explorer address bar and hit enter to go there quickly!

GNU Terry Pratchett - Looking for a mIRC help channel -> Check #mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net
M
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
M
SUCCESS!

Thanks, Maroon, Raccoon, and Kap.

Your information gave me a greater understanding of my computer.

Here's what I did:

() I closed mIRC.
() I went to c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\mirc and made a backup of mirc.ini
() I opened mirc.ini with Notepad
() It was easy to find all the terms I searched for since the day I bought mIRC.
() I deleted all of them (except the n0= just to be safe).
() I saved mirc.ini
() I loaded mIRC. VoilĂ ! The Channels List search box was cleared of all my old unwanted terms!

Thanks again!

Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
For what it is worth, making mIRC forget your previous searches can also be done from the menu Tools -> Clear History..

Saturn, QuakeNet staff

Link Copied to Clipboard