Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rasssta Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
R
Since it's possible to have your own background in each "channelwindow" (where the text is displayed) i thought of playing mpg, avi and the ones who has a legit codec installed in the same windows. And maybe a "shortcut" or something in the channel menu to open new files, instead of rightclicking on the channelname as it is today when ya wanna change background.

Came to think about this cuz i'm so tired of trying to fit the mediaplayer around my mircwindows smile

Would be cool if it came real. hug hug grin

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
mIRC is a chat client, not a movie player.

P
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
P
True, mIRC is not a media player, but it already supports sound support via /splay. What big of a difference would it make if /splay could support video files? I'm not saying I'm for the idea, just wondering why it couldn't/shouldn't be implemented when /splay already is indeed implemented.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Because it will make mIRC insanely slow. Imagine having a movie playing as the background of a channel window, it would have to be updating text and updating the movie like crazy. Additionally, it is very easy to _listen_ to music and _watch_ irc, but how exactly do you _watch_ a movie while _watching_ irc?

P
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
P
Good point.

F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
Watching sex videos while having a private/channel cyber sex? lol

R
rasssta Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
R
and i want to chat while watching movies cool

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Then get a tv and put it right next to your monitor.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Actually, I'm for the idea. It shouldn't make mIRC insanely slow.. as it is windows and your video card that handles the painting of the display. Khaled should be able to add this to the existing /background command using mediaplayer's various embedding api.

Animated GIFs would also be nice.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
LOL and while we're suggesting things why not have microsoft patent some windshield wipers for the monitor as well....LMAO

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I don't get it >:\ Was that a smart person joke?

-KingTomato
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
* Raccoon points and laughs at The_Game.
I thought it was funny...

N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
Movie files in picture windows maybe, not channels. grin

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Good idea, it will keep the flies and moths from drying up on the glass when one squashes them. grin

N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
Yeah, and the geckos. grin

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Nope just a mild form of sex humor....nothing important grin

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Nope just a mild form of sex humor....nothing impotent. grin

*badabing*

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Well what about another problem, movies contain most if not all displayable colors. This means at MANY points in a movie, text in the channel will not be visible since it will match the color of something in the movie. When you have a single image in the background, you can ensure it is a color that will not interfere with your text, but when it is a movie, you can't do that.

Again though, I raise the issue of, how exactly do you propose that someone can watch a movie and chat at the same time? If this was such an easy thing to do, why do people in movie theaters get so upset when someone is talking? If it is so easy to carry on a conversation and watch a movie, why would they care? The reason is because it is a distraction. It is very hard to talk with someone, or even listen to someone else talk while you are trying to watch a movie; I doubt anyone out there can fully concentrate on a movie while chatting on IRC. You might think you can but if someone asked you "what just happened in the movie?" you'll most likely have to rewind. You may recall the overall theme, but not the details of a scene.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
How can people chat in a window that is 50% transparent with other stuff happening in the background? Also, who says that the movie must be stretched to the full width and height of the window. Most webcams for instance take only a small fraction of a screen, and would fit quite nicely in the upper-right corner of a channel/chat/query window.

- Raccoon

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Well then we aren't really talking about a background. Other than the ability to center an image, from what I see, /background has no ability to position the image, ie there is no "display in top right corner" option, so now you're no longer simply asking to have it as a background, you are asking that the concept of a background be redefined. When I made my judgements I based it on the current interface of /background, not of an interface that doesn't exist and hasn't been suggested (to my knowledge) by anyone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard