Print Thread
#263104 27/05/18 01:46 AM
maroon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
per /help:

Quote:

The -c switch clears the flash status of all windows.

I tried confirming what I'm seeing with Wims, but he's not seeing what I'm seeing. Win7-32 using the beta 425. Using "/flash -c" is behaving as if it's stripping the 'N' parameter from any -rN that's active when "/flash -c" is used, but only if -c is invoked at the right spot in the blink cycle.

When /flash triggers for me while mIRC is not the active app, the icon in the taskbar does not blink. Instead, the taskbar icon flips to reverse colors and stays that way solidly. The icon is normally black text against a gray background, and /flash swaps the colors to instead be grayish text against a black background. If I hover the mouse over the taskbar icon, the popup icon having a red "X" for closing the program blinks instead, along with text "Message Waiting", but the taskbar icon in the row of icons does not blink.

To re-create: Immediately alt-tab to a different program after pasting this command into the status window:

Code:
//timer 1 5 /flash -r9 | timer 1 10 /flash -c

At 5 seconds, the 1st timer excutes, and the taskbar icon flips to reverse colors and remains solidly un-blinking while the popup window created by the mouse-hover blinks. But then at 10 seconds when "/flash -c" executes, the flash changes behavior as if the '9' were not used, and the icon remains black-on-gray 'forever'.

If I change the 10 into another even number which causes an odd number of seconds between the 2 timers, the behavior is as I described. But if I change the 10 into an odd number causing an even number of seconds between the timers, then the -c switch has the behavior I expected from the /help description, where the taskbar icon immediately reverts to the original condition prior to using any of the /flash commands.

I'm not aware of any other programs I use which will blink the taskbar icon on command, other than using "/timer 1 5 /flash" command in mIRC 6.35 and quickly alt-tab away from it. v6.35 blinks the taskbar icon itself, which the newest mIRC isn't doing for me. So this tells me that my Windows hasn't somehow disabled blinking of the taskbar icon.

maroon #263105 27/05/18 01:34 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for your bug report. This appears to be a bug with the FlashWindow() API which mIRC uses to flash the taskbar button. When called, it is meant to flash the button once. Different versions of Windows have handled it differently over the years, however they all seem to not reset the taskbar button correctly in some situations. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a solution to this.

Khaled #263455 06/08/18 07:19 PM
maroon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Are you saying that v7.52 now uses a different API than v6.35 did? Because as I mentioned in my last paragraph, when both mIRC versions are running at the same time

/timer 1 5 /flash

If this timer executes in v6.35 after having alt-tab'ed to a different program, it causes the v6.35 taskbar icon to blink. But doing the same thing in v7.52 causes the taskbar icon to become a solid darker color but doesn't blink. Win7-32bit.

maroon #263460 08/08/18 10:49 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
All versions of mIRC use the same FlashWindow() API as that is the only method by which an icon can be flashed in the taskbar, as far as I know.

I tested the /flash command you provided in your post on mIRC v6.35 and v7.52 under Windows 10. In my case, sometimes v6.35 flashed and then became a solid color, other times v7.52 did it. It is completely random and I have seen this issue ever since this feature was added. Even manually calling the FlashWindow() API, eg. if I create a /command just for that, to reset it does not work. It's a mystery.

maroon #263576 23/08/18 12:36 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Following up on this, I tried switching to FlashWindowEx(), which is probably what FlashWindow() calls, except that FlashWindowEx() provides extra options. Unfortunately, none of the options resolved the issue. Despite mIRC specifically setting the flash to reset or timeout, there were occasions when the button remained a solid color.

Link Copied to Clipboard